A.D. Danny White; discussion thread

Sorry for some that like to live in misery. It was time to move forward with a new AD. We have not had a decent AD since DD.
Look at what happen to the Athletic programs since DD left. None of these guys would have challenged the NCAA or called them out. DW did. Firing Harper was a mistake, NO. It was inevitable that it was going to happen at some point so why drag it out.
You really misunderstood my post.

Last edited:
It STARTED when some outright stated that his job should be in question for firing Kellie Harper. Canonization and North Korean dictator talk is from the same actors. 😏
Maybe one poster said that, who is a special case. It was not a pervasive sentiment but some will amplify the aberration to create drama. But heck, I will play. I think the UT chancellor should replace Danny White as UTAD with (drumroll please) Angel Reese. BWHAHAHA…..

Maybe one poster said that, who is a special case. It was not a pervasive sentiment but some will amplify the aberration to create drama. But heck, I will play. I think the UT chancellor should replace Danny White as UTAD with (drumroll please) Angel Reese. BWHAHAHA…..
So only ONE poster intimated that White’s job should be in danger? Got ANY that you could point out that declared him “Dear leader” or submitted a link to join the cult that you referenced? 🤔

Reactions: knoxvol52
Yeah, I post about baseball in the baseball forum since they have a great board. I enjoy and am proud of every accomplishment every Tennessee women's and men's team achieves.
As everyone should. I love all sports as I assume you do as well, I post in every forum even the Political.

Just saying if Lady Vols win it's discussed in all other forums by posters. All im saying all sports should be acknowledged when they achieve something great doesn't matter what forum individuals live in. We both know some individuals don't venture out of this Forum but that goes for others in the other forums as well.

One school, one goal to be the best in all aspects.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
So only ONE poster intimated that White’s job should be in danger? Got ANY that you could point out that declared him “Dear leader” or submitted a link to join the cult that you referenced? 🤔
Okay, let's imagine that we are not talking about Tennessee but another SEC school that had a storied program being coached by a moderately successful coach but who was not meeting the lofty expectations. And that the AD replaced that coach with someone who had one year of D1 coaching experience at a lower-tier mid major and whose team got blown out in their first NCAA tournament game. Would you not ask, "hmm I wonder if that school could have gotten a better coach?"

On this board, however, the act of asking that question was treated by many (including you) as blasphemy-- "how dare any one question Danny White's judgment!!!!" For the record, I was, from the outset, in the give the benefit of the doubt camp and I have become very pro-Kim Caldwell. However, this debate began on that first weekend, when she had not made her assistant coaching hires or excelled in the transfer portal and I can understand the initial skepticism that surrounded that decision.

Oh, the other "culty" thing is the chest pounding declarations that the Vols baseball success proves that Danny White walks on the water than he turned into wine.

John Currie hired Tony Vitello so White is getting the reflected glory.

Okay, let's imagine that we are not talking about Tennessee but another SEC school that had a storied program being coached by a moderately successful coach but who was not meeting the lofty expectations. And that the AD replaced that coach with someone who had one year of D1 coaching experience at a lower-tier mid major and whose team got blown out in their first NCAA tournament game. Would you not ask, "hmm I wonder if that school could not have gotten a better coach?"

On this board, however, the act of asking that question was treated by many (including you) as blasphemy-- "how dare any one question Danny White's judgment!!!!" For the record, I was, from the outset, in the give the benefit of the doubt camp and I have become very pro-Kim Caldwell. However, this debate began on that first weekend, when she had not made her assistant coaching or excelled in the transfer portal and I can understand the skepticism that surrounded that decision.

Oh, the other "culty" thing are all the chest pounding declarations that the Vols baseball success proves that Danny White walks on the water than he turned into wine.

Give me a quote where I POSTED that. I haven’t edited any. Take your time. And while you’re at it, drop one of those Jesus declarations from any other poster. You’re obviously prone to incredulous exaggeration…and that’s being conservative. 😏 Our athletic programs have been 180 degrees better since he took over and he fired the Lady Vols HC AFTER three seasons of audition. Seems a lil high strung from YOUR “cult” that she was unfairly treated.

And once again, Currie hired Vitello. Vitello is a winner and coached thusly. LSU needed a HC and is a more storied baseball program with a huge history of success. Vitello turned them down because White corrected the culture in Knoxville. Recognize that.

I did read an article that stated that fans emailed, phoned and mailed in letters regarding the firing of Harper. With all that said it really is meaningless, because it was time for her to go. DW made a decision, unpopular to some. It was not the normal decision other ADs made in the past of Kicking the Can down the road. Worse decision is the one not made. He did not see Harper ever putting together a team that was Summit like. Time will tell based on years to come. He got a good deal with Salary. Bruce Pearl was a good hire.
Had CPHS been in the AD shoes would she have fired her? My answer is Yes she would have. What's more she may not have hired her to begin with in the first place.

edit: word.

Last edited:
Okay, let's imagine that we are not talking about Tennessee but another SEC school that had a storied program being coached by a moderately successful coach but who was not meeting the lofty expectations. And that the AD replaced that coach with someone who had one year of D1 coaching experience at a lower-tier mid major and whose team got blown out in their first NCAA tournament game. Would you not ask, "hmm I wonder if that school could have gotten a better coach?"

On this board, however, the act of asking that question was treated by many (including you) as blasphemy-- "how dare any one question Danny White's judgment!!!!" For the record, I was, from the outset, in the give the benefit of the doubt camp and I have become very pro-Kim Caldwell. However, this debate began on that first weekend, when she had not made her assistant coaching hires or excelled in the transfer portal and I can understand the initial skepticism that surrounded that decision.

Oh, the other "culty" thing is the chest pounding declarations that the Vols baseball success proves that Danny White walks on the water than he turned into wine.

In your long winded story of imagination nothing. Yes, Curry hired him and it’s been stated before. It was White who has not kept him twice when others came calling.

Give me a quote where I POSTED that. I haven’t edited any. Take your time. And while you’re at it, drop one of those Jesus declarations from any other poster. You’re obviously prone to incredulous exaggeration…and that’s being conservative. 😏 Our athletic programs have been 180 degrees better since he took over and he fired the Lady Vols HC AFTER three seasons of audition. Seems a lil high strung from YOUR “cult” that she was unfairly treated.

And once again, Currie hired Vitello. Vitello is a winner and coached thusly. LSU needed a HC and is a more storied baseball program with a huge history of success. Vitello turned them down because White corrected the culture in Knoxville. Recognize that.

Thank you so much!! Your post perfectly illustrates the extreme either- or-ism I have noted and that you, without irony, are denying exists.

Here is the mind blowing proposition -- someone can simultaneously believe that Danny White is doing a great job as AD and still question one of his specific hiring decisions. These actions are not mutually exclusive and doing the latter does not make one a "White hater."

And, echoing your challenge, find one post from me, where I said Kellie was "unfairly treated." I did post, not too long ago, in reference to former EarlVol, that he believed Kellie had been unfairly treated. However, i have been quite clear in stating (multiple times) that the door was opened for Kellie to be fired when she failed to make the S16 and orchestrated a general regression in the program from the 2022-23 to 2023-24 seasons.

Heck, I have not even questioned White's decision to hire Kim Caldwell. I have just said that I can understood why some on this board did and, for that act of heresy, you accuse me of being in a "Kellie cult".

Thank you so much!! Your post perfectly illustrates the extreme either- or-ism I have noted and that you, without irony, are denying exists.

Here is the mind blowing proposition -- someone can simultaneously believe that Danny White is doing a great job as AD and still question one of his specific hiring decisions. These actions are not mutually exclusive and doing the latter does not make one a "White hater."

And, echoing your challenge, find one post from me, where I said Kellie was "unfairly treated." I did post, not too long ago, in reference to former EarlVol, that he believed Kellie had been unfairly treated. However, i have been quite clear in stating (multiple times) that the door was opened for Kellie to be fired when she failed to make the S16 and orchestrated a general regression in the program from the 2022-23 to 2023-24 seasons.

Heck, I have not even questioned White's decision to hire Kim Caldwell. I have just said that I can understood why some on this board did and, for that act of heresy, you accuse me of being in a "Kellie cult".
Straddle that fence and say it’s me…#Respect 😅

Who are these Danny White "haters"? This thread has been taken over by people who simply can't comprehend the "nuanced" view that Danny White is a really good AD who is capable of making a mistake.

This discussion began when some questioned the hiring of Kim Caldwell.

However, some quickly morphed that discussion into being expression of "hate" for Danny White and desire for all Vol athletics to collapse into the sea.

In this dichotomous world, you must either believe that Danny White is the 2nd coming or you are "a hater" of Danny White and all that is holy

It is comical but I guess acolytes are gonna acolyte.
Same dichotomous world where some couldn’t accept that maybe CKJH was a good mid major coach who was never going to turn into a consistent P5 coach and therefore it was time for UT and AD White to move on….

I think the UT chancellor should replace Danny White as UTAD with (drumroll please) Angel Reese.
Ahh. At last. The previously eschewed nuance has surfaced.

</chortle> 😎

ETA: for all those —yeah, both of you—troubled by my lack of effusive gurgling about the wonderfully successful baseball squad, you may assume a prone or supine position and relax.
Some day I may give a damn about college baseball. Don't hold your individual or collective breath.

Last edited:
Reactions: madtownvol
Same dichotomous world where some couldn’t accept that maybe CKJH was a good mid major coach who was never going to turn into a consistent P5 coach and therefore it was time for UT and AD White to move on….
Okay, last time for the very stubborn crowd. Yes, there was a block of fans who wanted to see what Kellie could do under a better NIL situation; there was probably a larger contingent who wanted White to spend more $ to get a name coach as her replacement (whether such a "big name" coach was a viable option is unclear but probably unlikely).

However, neither response equates to "hating Danny White" or hoping for Vol teams to fail out of spite.

This difference seems pretty clear cut but if you can't or won't process it, then it is what it is.

There are times when we simply need to forge new
paths. Never comfortable. I’m glad White avoided hiring a so-called “elite” coach because the familiar dinosaurs are fading. Sure, current fresh faces will eventually join the ranks of the extinct. I’ve talked to two of my friends who played D1 basketball the past two seasons. They wanted to play for a dynamic, creative coach and didn’t even consider the level at which the coach had worked.

For those who may think DW is just a gambler on his coaching hires, the below shows you he is very serious about his head coaches being successful as its very profitable:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Amazing that Dr. Danny White is collecting $300,000 in bonus loot for doing the job he is paid $2,425,500 annually to do.

The fine print says he was entitled to $24,255 because the football Vols went to a bowl. He gets $24,255 a year if any team wins an SEC championship (three won). Another $24,255 is tied to women’s basketball earning a place in the NCAA tournament.

Success in men’s basketball was more profitable – $24,255 for making the NCAA tournament field and $48,510 for reaching the Sweet 16. Surprisingly, there was no extra pay for the Elite 8. The agent obviously slipped up.

A national championship by a team pays $72,765. The baseball Vols came through big time.

Bigger bonus money is based on high scores in academic progress. Dr. White qualified for $121,275, five per cent of his base pay because coaches inspired the Vols to go to class.

Danny White is doing what he has to do. He is not gambling. Harper was killed by lack of NIL. People can say all day that NIL doesn't matter that much, but find me a school that is killing it in wcbb without collective NIL funds....pretty sure UCONN is the only one.

Donors told Danny they wouldn't fund NIL with Kellie at the helm, so he did what he had to do to secure funds...he fired and hired. Hopefully Kim will deliver. If not, Tenn needs to be prepared to shell out a higher salary for a proven coach or they will continue down the path of mediocrity.

UCLA, USC, South Carolina, Texas, Notre Dame, UCONN and LSU will rule as long as NIL exists in its current format. They all have extensive NIL funds. UT can join them if CKC proves to be an effective coach. Time will tell.

Danny White is doing what he has to do. He is not gambling. Harper was killed by lack of NIL. People can say all day that NIL doesn't matter that much, but find me a school that is killing it in wcbb without collective NIL funds....pretty sure UCONN is the only one.

Donors told Danny they wouldn't fund NIL with Kellie at the helm, so he did what he had to do to secure funds...he fired and hired. Hopefully Kim will deliver. If not, Tenn needs to be prepared to shell out a higher salary for a proven coach or they will continue down the path of mediocrity.

UCLA, USC, South Carolina, Texas, Notre Dame, UCONN and LSU will rule as long as NIL exists in its current format. They all have extensive NIL funds. UT can join them if CKC proves to be an effective coach. Time will tell.

That narrative has been repeated on this board a lot but is there any evidence to support it?

The problem is that it does not make sense given how the coaching search played out.

Fat Cat donors: We fat cats won't given another $ to NIL so long as this experienced and generally beloved coach with multiple S16s on her resume is at the helm.

Danny White; Okay I understand. How about if I replace Kellie Harper with a coach who has one year of D1 experience at Marshall and who got crushed in the first round of the NCAA tournament?

Fat Cat donors: Hellya!! Our checkbooks are wide open.

To be clear, I am not disparaging CKC but this "the donors forced it" scenario only makes sense if White had brought in a more experienced coach, like Gottleib from USC or Moren from Indiana.

What makes more sense is that White decided that Kellie's coaching ceiling was not high enough and he saw CKC as a rising star who could advance the program. He has made similar hires before.

Last edited:
That narrative has been repeated on this board a lot but is there any evidence to support it?

The problem is that it does not make sense given how the coaching search played out.

Fat Cat donors: We fat won't given another $ to NIL so long as this experienced and generally beloved coach with multiple S16s on her resume is at the helm.

Danny White; Okay I understand. How about if I replace Kellie Harper with a coach who has one year of D1 experience at Marshall and who got crushed in the first round of the NCAA tournament?

To be clear, I am not disparaging CKC but this "the donors forced it" scenario only makes sense if White had brought in a more experienced coach, like Gottleib from USC or Moren from Indiana.

What makes more sense is that White decided that Kellie's coaching ceiling was not high enough and he saw CKC as a rising star who could advance the program. He has made similar hires before.
Moren is not leaving Indiana. And I doubt a coach leaves Southern California for Knoxville. Having said that who knows if KC is the right hire. I really KC she succeeds because I am ready to go to a Final 4 again in women's basketball. Time will tell.

Fat Cat donors: We fat won't given another $ to NIL so long as this experienced and generally beloved coach with multiple S16s on her resume is at the helm.

Thank you for saying it out loud. That stated, I’m donning my flak jacket, helmet and diving into the bunker…

Kellie, LVBHC, OMS and whatever mechanizations occurring around NIL did CKH zero favors, imo.

A certain spirit of fear may also have existed when she came aboard due to the pending NCAA Inquisition.

VN Store

Back