A more realistic look at this years schedule (with predictions).

The Georgia/South Carolina thing is not going to happen. I mean I love the Vols but that's just not going to happen. As far as Oregon and the point total when you have a potential Heisman at QB in Mariotta--Thomas at tailback you don't need Chip Kelly....Helfrich has been the OC there for a while and I don't think Oregon will forget how to do what they do just because Chip Kelly isn't there. We could make it respectable but I honestly don't think we have much of a chance to stop them on offense. 31 is kind IMO.

Last edited:
I think uSCe will be one where he pulls the upset. UT should be 3-1in OOC games. Think definite losses are Oregon, UF and Ala.Think we lose to GA and beat SC. So thats 4-4. Beat UK, Vandy, AU and Mizzou.. But i do think Mizzou is not a gimme. So honestly 6 wins is the bottom number and 8-9 being the highesy. Without my Orange colored glasses on I am going 7-5 or 8-4 with CBJ getting that signature win and putting the ole ball coach into a tyrade heard all the way back in SC.

ESPN Top 25:
1) Bama
2) Stanford
3) Ohio St.
4) T A&M
5) Oregon
6) UGA
7) UF
8) Notre Dame
9) Louisville
10) USCe
11) Clemson
12) Michigan
13) LSU
14) Texas
15) Oklahoma
16) FSU
17) TCU
18) Oregon St.
19) Kansas St.
20) Oklahoma St.
21) UCLA
22) Boise St.
23) Nebraska
24) Northwestern
25) Vandy

You play 5 of the top 10, and 6 of the top 25 with a new coaching staff and an unproven QB. CBJ has his work cut out for him but sometimes a team plays loose when they have nothing to lose. That's what I believe kept UT in a few games last season (vs. UGA) where they could have folded. In looking at the roster, especially the punch that you lost, I just don't see 8 wins. And I don't see the upset that some mention almost as a given. But I've been very wrong before. Might be an Us vs Them season. We'll see very quickly if CBJ can coach or not. If he can avoid some blowouts and keep morale up he could have a successful rookie (SEC) season. If not, he better be able to stack recruits like cord wood. He's off to a pretty good start but recruiting season is long and unpredictable. So is the football season. I think UT's key is in finding a leader at the QB position, and a couple of running backs who can sustain drives. JMHO.

I agree. Everytime some school gets a new HC, the new guy always wants to change something. Even if the old way was working the new HC will find something that he thinks will work better. Its the same way with a job, old boss leaves and new boss comes in and wants to put his stamp on something. But the Ducks new HC might be better than CK, I dont think he will and that might be all we need to get the win. GBO

If the old way was working then there's no need for a new coach, unless he moves on such as CK.

i was thinking the same thing.

if tennessee holds oregon to 31, john jancek should be named defensive coordinator for life and be allowed to live in the state of tennessee tax free

Technically he could already be living tax free since, iirc Tennessee features no state income tax?

Something like that.

TN 42 vs. AP 10 Worley starts but Peterman gets time in the 4th
TN 38 vs. WKU 14 Worley starts but Peterman gets time in the 4th
TN 14 at. OREG 31 Worley starts but Peterman comes in 3rd
TN 17 at. UF 24 Worley starts Peterman comes in 3rd
TN 49 vs. South BAMA 7 Peterman starts Worley 3rd
TN 24 vs UGA 21 Peterman starts Worley 3rd -D wins game
TN 21 vs SCAR 24 Peterman starts Worley 3rd
TN 14 at BAMA 35 Peterman starts Worley 3rd
TN 31 at MIZZ 28 Peterman starts Worley 2nd Dobbs in the 3rd
TN 28 vs AUB 17 Dobbs starts
TN 38 vs. VANDY 17 Dobbs starts
TN 42 at UK 14 Dobbs starts
7-5 (5-3) 4th in SEC
Ferguson red shirts

Last edited:
ESPN Top 25:
1) Bama
2) Stanford
3) Ohio St.
4) T A&M
5) Oregon
6) UGA
7) UF
8) Notre Dame
9) Louisville
10) USCe
11) Clemson
12) Michigan
13) LSU
14) Texas
15) Oklahoma
16) FSU
17) TCU
18) Oregon St.
19) Kansas St.
20) Oklahoma St.
21) UCLA
22) Boise St.
23) Nebraska
24) Northwestern
25) Vandy

You play 5 of the top 10, and 6 of the top 25 with a new coaching staff and an unproven QB. CBJ has his work cut out for him but sometimes a team plays loose when they have nothing to lose. That's what I believe kept UT in a few games last season (vs. UGA) where they could have folded. In looking at the roster, especially the punch that you lost, I just don't see 8 wins. And I don't see the upset that some mention almost as a given. But I've been very wrong before. Might be an Us vs Them season. We'll see very quickly if CBJ can coach or not. If he can avoid some blowouts and keep morale up he could have a successful rookie (SEC) season. If not, he better be able to stack recruits like cord wood. He's off to a pretty good start but recruiting season is long and unpredictable. So is the football season. I think UT's key is in finding a leader at the QB position, and a couple of running backs who can sustain drives. JMHO.

What does UGA do to replace such a dominate defense...they lost allot to the draft...will they become the UT of 2013?

i guess i am old school but i don't count us losing to no one before we play them. Doing so brain washes people from the start that there is no way we can win.

So I say we should and could beat everyone!

Dont think beating SC is pushing it. GA definitely but SC will be beatable, especially at home. But Kiffin beat the brakes off both of them his only yr here and they were both better than us.

I'd take 9-3 all day long & I agree with you here...if Kiffin beat USCjr & UGA w/inferior talent, then Jones sure can! If we had of had a half way decent D last year, we beat both of them on the road! Shoulda beaten SC...on the 20, down by 4 w/1-2 min to go...and this w/Dooley at the wheel! Butch will get a big unexpected win this year & take us bowling!

Last edited:
You play 5 of the top 10, and 6 of the top 25 with a new coaching staff and an unproven QB. CBJ has his work cut out for him but sometimes a team plays loose when they have nothing to lose. That's what I believe kept UT in a few games last season (vs. UGA) where they could have folded.

I don't think UT ever played loose last season because of having nothing to lose. I thought the team played uptight all season, especially after the UF loss. They played UGA and SCar close because UT had a very good offense and when Bray was hot the offense could score a lot of points quickly. But it came down to having to outscore opponents because the defense couldn't stop anybody, and the offense typically found a way to choke at the end.

I was assuming that you were referencing our defense practicing against our offense, which has similar (although not exact) tendencies to Oregon's. The D should be MUCH better suited to the tempo this year and the DL should be more disruptive, which is key to hampering their offense. So long as CBs trigger on bubble screens and the D overall can actually tackle this year, we can match up well against their offense. LB play will be key, though. AJ, Curt, and Sapp will have to play a MAJOR role.

Key. I was pleased with the open field tackling that I saw in the O&W game. (By pleased, I actually mean shocked.)

TN 42 vs. AP 10 Worley starts but Peterman gets time in the 4th
TN 38 vs. WKU 14 Worley starts but Peterman gets time in the 4th
TN 14 at. OREG 31 Worley starts but Peterman comes in 3rd
TN 17 at. UF 24 Worley starts Peterman comes in 3rd
TN 49 vs. South BAMA 7 Peterman starts Worley 3rd
TN 24 vs UGA 21 Peterman starts Worley 3rd -D wins game
TN 21 vs SCAR 24 Peterman starts Worley 3rd
TN 14 at BAMA 35 Peterman starts Worley 3rd
TN 31 at MIZZ 28 Peterman starts Worley 2nd Dobbs in the 3rd
TN 28 vs AUB 17 Dobbs starts
TN 38 vs. VANDY 17 Dobbs starts
TN 42 at UK 14 Dobbs starts
7-5 (5-3) 4th in SEC
Ferguson red shirts

If all of that in-game QB changing happens, UT is screwed. That rarely, if ever, works.

Im gonna go with it and say we get Bama twice this year...

I've seen SEC titles and I've seen a national championship. But just once, I want the scenario to play out where we actually meet Bama in the SECCG and pull that off.

Seriously - 9 wins isn't a tad optimistic?

I like your prediction don't get me wrong, but this is a team that hasn't won 6 games in the past two seasons.

Getting to 9 will be tough.

7 is my prediction and that is even optimistic.

Realistic is counting only the sure wins which should be 6.

Agree. Also, I think 7 is all CBJ needs to turn the program around. I'd be happy with that this season. :hi:

Yeah, kind of funny to think that Steve Spurrier would even slightly have a problem yanking a QB.

He definitely will not hesitate to do so.

Regarding UT's schedule, I think 7-5 or 8-4 is definitely doable, but I believe 6-6 is the absolute lowest it will be.

Will readily admit that the schedule is brutal....however will also concede that of the last three years of Vol hell, I have no idea what to expect out of this team next year.

The defense will be much better, as our personnel matches the 4-4 without a doubt. I look forward to being presently surprised on both sides of the ball, and find myself unwilling to concede anything to GA, Fla or SC at this point.

I'm not saying I expect wins, just that I'm unwilling to concede.

Reactions: 1 person
i am not going to list scores, but i'll show you my guess.

tennessee- austin peay (vols)

tennessee- western kentucky (vols)

tennessee- oregon (ducks)

tennessee- florida (gators)

tennessee- south alabama (vols)

tennessee- georgia (dogs. of all the home games, i think this is the best chance of an upset. georgia has lsu the week before heading to knoxville. georgia also may not be as stout defensively as some other opponents)

tennessee -south carolina (gamecocks. vols have a bye before this game and if they lose to georgia, it will be a save the season type of game. however, carolina has kentucky and arkansas before tennessee and just don't think tennessee will have enough)

tennessee- bama (bama)

now the schedule is really interesting and i think where butch jones will be measured. if i am right, can he get his team back after a 3-5 start (mentally). i think for a team trying to rebuild the nature of tennessee's schedule (front loaded) is horrible. so, are guys still on board. are they leaving it all on the field. is the top talent on the team thinking about the draft. etc, etc, etc

tennessee- missouri (tigers. missouri has georgia, florida, south carolina back to back to back before facing the vols. i think tennessee has more talent. i think missouri will be beat up. but, until i see tennessee win on the road, i have to go with the tigers. and just a note here, i warned people about the mississippi state game last season for the same reason. if tennessee wins, it's a big deal as any road win would be big)

tennessee- auburn (vols. a must win. people will compare malzahn to jones and if auburn has a better year coming off of disaster than tennessee, people will grumble. but, tennessee is at home and that should make the difference).

tennessee- vandy (vols. win over auburn puts a little pep in the step. and all they need for motivation should be the scoreboard of last season's game thrown in their face all week)

tennessee- kentucky (vols. win and go bowling and tennessee does. it's a road game, but they have to be able to beat kentucky. they just have to.)

this is all a best guess and there are some games like missouri that i would not be surprised if the outcome was different than what i have said.

i will also say that if tennessee can pull off a genuine legit upset, then that changes everything because they would be in a different mental state and the outlook on the season and self confidence would make the back half of the schedule a lot less nerve-racking

I won't argue about your reasoning or picks--except on the Missouri game--pure Fla homerism IMO....Mizzou was ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE last year and will be worse this year...lost the heart of their "D"--which was only slightly better than the Vols....and I pick the Vols for the exact reasons you pick against them--Mizz who? DOESN'T have the depth to run the gauntlet of UGA, Fla, and USCe back to back then play the Vols....If CDD & Sal were still here--wouldn't argue with you.

AU maybe a win for us in Knoxville--

I think we beat UGA--we could have last year--and the Bama game for UGA in the SEC title game was an aberration....UGA much weaker this year...:salute:

Will readily admit that the schedule is brutal....however will also concede that of the last three years of Vol hell, I have no idea what to expect out of this team next year.

The defense will be much better, as our personnel matches the 4-4 without a doubt. I look forward to being presently surprised on both sides of the ball, and find myself unwilling to concede anything to GA, Fla or SC at this point.

I'm not saying I expect wins, just that I'm unwilling to concede.

More telling is that I agree, but am unwilling to concede because I have hope that we now have a head coach. CBJ is the "x" factor for me this year.

VN Store

Back