Active Shooter Killed At Nashville School

And this is part of the problem with the looseness with which people are describing this:

1) Some people on the board are saying that transgender status is itself a mental illness (I am willing to wager these same people would say that homosexuality is, as well);

2) You just phrased it as a "high rate of mental illness associated with those that identified as LBTQ."

So is it merely the status of being gay or transgender that is mental illness, or is it "correlated" to that? I'm not even sure what you mean by "correlated." But in any event, you see the point, I think you should commit to your position, one way or another. Are you saying that homosexuality or transgender identity is itself a mental illness?

I find such desires or identities odd and cannot relate to them in any way. But I also don't know why people actually like seafood. I don't consider that a mental illness just because seafood makes my skin crawl.

Next, you make the leap of logic that if these folks are "mentally ill" in the form of sexual preference or identity, that has some bearing on their being violent. There is no basis for that. You just want it to be true.

And that last statement is because your comment that you don't want to demonize a group of people is a flat out lie by you. You absolutely DO want to demonize them. You aren't fooling anyone by claiming you don't.
No, I'm saying they have a higher rate of mental illness than those who do not identify LGBTQ etc, this is backed by scientific studies/data. I don't want to demonize them, it was part of a larger debate on mental illness and gun ownership.

I was asking if you thought that by nature of being associated with higher rates of mental illness would people who identify as LGBTQ etc pose a higher risk of erratic or violent behavior. You responded in one word, "no".

I find that response oddly dismissive given the higher rate of mental illness often associated with erratic and violent behavior.

Now you move the goalpost on me and simply put words in my mouth stating all who identify LGBTQ etc being mentally ill.

I actually enjoy debate and banter, while we disagree often you are usually at least intellectually honest. Not in this case.

Reactions: NCFisher
Why? What if I did that with intentions of going hunting? What if I'm a competition shooter and want to dry different types for competition? Nothing wrong with someone buy several weapons.
I don’t see how something like a waiting period would impose an undue burden. We know when deer season starts and when that competition is scheduled. Just plan ahead.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
And this is part of the problem with the looseness with which people are describing this:

1) Some people on the board are saying that transgender status is itself a mental illness (I am willing to wager these same people would say that homosexuality is, as well);

2) You just phrased it as a "high rate of mental illness associated with those that identified as LBTQ."

So is it merely the status of being gay or transgender that is mental illness, or is it "correlated" to that? I'm not even sure what you mean by "correlated." But in any event, you see the point, I think you should commit to your position, one way or another. Are you saying that homosexuality or transgender identity is itself a mental illness?

I find such desires or identities odd and cannot relate to them in any way. But I also don't know why people actually like seafood. I don't consider that a mental illness just because seafood makes my skin crawl.

Next, you make the leap of logic that if these folks are "mentally ill" in the form of sexual preference or identity, that has some bearing on their being violent. There is no basis for that. You just want it to be true.

And that last statement is because your comment that you don't want to demonize a group of people is a flat out lie by you. You absolutely DO want to demonize them. You aren't fooling anyone by claiming you don't.
If we start labeling people dangerous because one of them committed a mass shooting, as a white man my goose is cooked. Let’s call a spade a spade.

I don’t see how something line a waiting period would impose an undue burden. We know when deer season starts and when that competition is scheduled. Just plan ahead.

There is a waiting period, usually about 15 minutes. That is unless you have a CWP and you just fill out the form and you’re good. Deer season and competition schedule is irrelevant.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
I don’t see how something line a waiting period would impose an undue burden. We know when deer season starts and when that competition is scheduled. Just plan ahead.
And if my gun breaks? Or let's say I buy a gun from a shop a couple hours away. Why should I be inconvenienced of having to drive over one day and buy then x amount of days wasting another day to drive over and pick it up?

69187035-11909639-Substitute_teacher_Cynthia_Peak_61_known_as_Cindy_right_is_shown-a-17_1680001318348.jpg

Substitute teacher Cynthia Peak, 61, known as Cindy (right) is shown with her daughter Ellie. Peak was one of six people shot and killed on Monday in Nashville

Heartbreaking photo of Covenant Elementary School class an hour before mass shooter opened fire | Daily Mail Online

I don’t think a waiting period was going to make a difference here, she would have been crazy thirty days from now too

No, I'm saying they have a higher rate of mental illness than those who do not identify LGBTQ etc, this is backed by scientific studies/data. I don't want to demonize them, it was part of a larger debate on mental illness and gun ownership.

I was asking if you thought that by nature of being associated with higher rates of mental illness would people who identify as LGBTQ etc pose a higher risk of erratic or violent behavior. You responded in one word, "no".

I find that response oddly dismissive given the higher rate of mental illness often associated with erratic and violent behavior.

Now you move the goalpost on me and simply put words in my mouth stating all who identify LGBTQ etc being mentally ill.

I actually enjoy debate and banter, while we disagree often you are usually at least intellectually honest. Not in this case.

You are dodging my question.

Are homosexuality or gender identity themselves mental illnesses?

I don’t think a waiting period was going to make a difference here, she would have been crazy thirty days from now too
I’d actually be curious what the data is as far as when shooters acquired their weapons vs when the shooting took place. It could be that these are rash decisions that would lose momentum if they couldn’t be rapidly pulled off. Or maybe not, but it would be helpful to know.

In some ways isn’t this another form of suicide? The vast majority of people who attempt suicide and fail do not attempt again, though I don’t know if a temporary roadblock in being able to procure arms would constitute a failure. It seems possible; humans are fickle.

Not agreeing with your skewed interpretation of certain facts is not the same thing as “ignoring all the data,” Mr. Smartest Person in the Room. You ignore all context and cherry pick the facts that suit you. If you arbitrarily take out the demographic most likely to be murdered in the US, we still have a higher homicide rate than Canada. How can you think that strengthens your argument? New Hampshire has a low homicide rate because it’s extremely rural. Maryland has a high homicide rate because of Baltimore. None of this is hard to understand, but you keep throwing crap at the wall hoping it will stick or I’ll get bored and move on.

What is skewed about my data? The black homicide rate is around 30 per 100k. Removing an obvious outlier only makes sense.

New Hampshire is above the national average and yet has a far greater population density ( than Canada (<27 per km).

You’re right it’s not hard to understand. There is a major problem (30 homicides per 100k) within the black community of our country. But to try to say that means we have a gun problem in this country as a whole is insanely disingenuous and not backed up by the data.

As far as your claim of “cherry picking”. I’m just doing what you’re doing. Instead of comparing our country to the EU or Canada, you prefer to compare it to countries the size of states. So I picked a state with very loose gun laws that’s middle of the pack in terms of population density. Seems like a fair comparison.

How do these inconveniences on law abiding citizens solve anything other than the typical looney left tossing out a virtue signal?
I’d actually be curious what the data is as far as when shooters acquired their weapons vs when the shooting took place. It could be that these are rash decisions that would lose momentum if they couldn’t be rapidly pulled off. Or maybe not, but it would be helpful to know.

In some ways isn’t this another form of suicide? The vast majority of people who attempt suicide and fail do not attempt again, though I don’t know if a temporary roadblock in being able to procure arms would constitute a failure. It seems possible; humans are fickle.

Respectfully, I doubt you’d be saying that if you weren’t invested in protecting the status quo.

If you would read my posts I’m not protecting the status quo. I want action and accountability but the difference between you and me is I want to find solutions that will work without violating the innocent’s rights. You just want to do something that will make you feel better.

It’s never a good idea to make decisions when emotions are high.

As far as school shootings are concerned, it's generally "high emotions" for the first few days and then complete apathy from the general public after that, so to those saying to wait for a "good time" I'm not sure there is one

Reactions: DuckInAPen

VN Store

Back