AJ's Tweet?

So leading the SEC in tackles last year means nothing?

Unfortunately most were after 6+ yards. Do not get me wrong. AJ is a stud. He has just not been very good when dropping into coverage. Also my intent with this thread was not to bash him. I was just curious on what everyone was talking about and noticed no one had posted his tweet on VN.

Wowww. Im glad our defense is pumped for the game. Idgaf what you idiots say. Speed isn't everything. AJ may not be the fastest LB but he sure can lay the wood. Insteading of bashing the players you should stand behind them. We need all the hype we can get for this game.

You're right speed isn't everything. Being able to tackle isn't everything either. Especially if you can't catch them.

To quote the ducks ex-coach Chip Kelly, "Bullets knock down more people than bowling balls."

Well, if ole' Bag of Chips Kelly keeps eating those Philly cheese steaks neither a bullet nor a bowling ball would knock him over.

You're right speed isn't everything. Being able to tackle isn't everything either. Especially if you can't catch them.

Cut that corner once and get leveled by a LB see if they do it again. You can contain speed by minimizing the field.

Reactions: 1 person
My guess coaches like to over think things and do it their way instead of watching previous tapes...you have to have a disciplined DL and LB to beat the ducks and thats one thing this coaching staff preaches every day

I can guarantee that CBJ and staff (and team) have watched and re-watched numerous game films of the Ducks in wins and losses - that is how they develop their own schemes.

Obviously these players aren't going to lay down without a fight against Oregon. That is encouraging. Talking trash before playing the #2 school on their turf is just plain stupid. I can hear the AJ taunts now.

How dare AJ and Tiny be confident and think they are going to win. Don't they know, we already lost by 30.

Some of you need to grow a set. Nothing wrong with some vague smack talk. He didn't call out anyone.

Reactions: 4 people
He is saying that speed doesn't matter when they are on the ground. He is saying power beats speed. Hope he is right and LOVE the confidence, I just am not a fan of social media smack talk like that. I like going in quiet and confident and letting the opponent get shocked when you come out in hit them in the mouth (not literally of course)

That's just me though

I'd be okay with literally hitting them in the mouth as well.

So being 4th in the nation in tackles isn't backing it up. I'm confused.

AJ ain't the player he's made out to be on Volnation....He still has PLENTY of room to improve--and he's 4th in the nation in tackles after we have played AP and WKU....Just trying to keep it real.....It could get ugly for the Vols against Oregon....I love my Vols, but we ain't ready for #2 in the land...yet! :salute:

Quacks 51 Vols 21

GO VOLS

Like Gurley & numerous other guys did last year?

That had more to do with position than speed.

I don't expect AJ to be going stride for stride in coverage, he should be bumping them as they come at him to slow them down or take them off their route.
Given he is lined up correctly, which failed to happen a lot last year, AJ has plenty enough speed when taking an angle. 228 tackles haven't came out of nowhere.

My agenda is having the ability to balance realism with optimism. Something you & numerous other guys, especially in the football forum, do not.

Yeah I see no balance. Fine line between realism and being negative. In this instance, you are straight bashing.

I bet it is very safe to say the coaches have been pounding it in their heads all week if they listen to everyone else, it's pretty much common knowledge they don't have a chance. The media says they don't have a chance. This board says they don't have a chance. The bookies say they don't have a chance. And on top of all that, they get called POS for expressing some confidence.

Personally, I like the fact they are getting tired of hearing this crap and their pride is showing through. Will they win the game....I'm not sure but I know there is a reason games are played and these guys deserve the right to play.

Why don't some of you email Butch and ask him if these guys have earned the right to line up on Saturday and give their all for Tennessee?

Reactions: 1 person
I'm a guest on your board, and you guys have been great, so please don't take offense to this but..........

We are 49-7 in the last 4 years. If it was that easy, why doesn't every one just follow the blueprint Auburn set(same one Stanford used) and beat the Ducks? Just sayin.............:good!:

Thats a valid question. How many championships has this style of play won you?

Reactions: 4 people
Yeah I see no balance. Fine line between realism and being negative. In this instance, you are straight bashing.

The guy hasn't been that impressive his entire career here. Absolutely zero coverage skills. Constantly gets beat on the edge. Gets sucked inside easily. Not sure what everybody else sees other than a stat line of tackles. Even against WKU he was getting beat a lot. If he's put in those same situations against Oregon he will be nothing but a liability.

AJ ain't the player he's made out to be on Volnation....He still has PLENTY of room to improve--and he's 4th in the nation in tackles after we have played AP and WKU....Just trying to keep it real.....It could get ugly for the Vols against Oregon....I love my Vols, but we ain't ready for #2 in the land...yet! :salute:

Quacks 51 Vols 21

GO VOLS

He was 4th in the nation last year, not this year. Was also 1st in the SEC. 10 straight games with double digit tackles, all of the big games. Kid is a baller and is under appreciated by a lot because he isn't the fastest out there.

The guy hasn't been that impressive his entire career here. Absolutely zero coverage skills. Constantly gets beat on the edge. Gets sucked inside easily. Not sure what everybody else sees other than a stat line of tackles. Even against WKU he was getting beat a lot. If he's put in those same situations against Oregon he will be nothing but a liability.

Like I said, its about position more than speed. Not many middle linebackers are gonna cover a slot guy very well, gotta do something before they get by you. I hope that gets corrected.

I'm willing to bet almost our whole defense was lined up out of position last year. If you are out of position, your angle is off. No 243 lb linebacker is gonna catch a RB without a proper angle.

Let's see how he does with real coaching. I expect him to be in position to make a lot of tackles this year.

I love that our players are going in to the game with confidence. I just hope they don't get down on there selves if the ducks come out of the gate fast and put a couple of quick scores on the board. We have to weather the storm in the first few min of the game. If we can do that I think we got a good chance. We need to turn this game into a slow grinding defensive struggle and keep the ball away from there highpowered offense. GO VOLS!

We as fans need to look at this game, not as a impending loss, rather an opportunity. Sure the probability of a win is not in our favor, and rightly so. This however doesn't make it any less then an opportunity to knock off the #2 team in the country. To say "Go Vols" and predict a loss is inconceivable to me. To actually say the Vols will lose by blah blah, is not supportive. I may go as far as to say that the probablitity of losing this game is extremely high. I don't "expect" a victory. However to say we're will most definitely lose is the opposite of being a fan. It goes against the very definition of the the word. Even if I'm 99% sure we will lose, I still bank and hope on that 1%. Some people will say your not being rational, your a optimist. No, I'm a fan. As in FANatical. I'm fanatical in the since the despite the odds I hope and sometimes believe we will win or can win.

As far as this speed debate. Speed can be limited if you play sound, disciplined football. If everyone does their job, and is in the right position, and tackles, speed is of little matter. This does not mean that speed doesn't give you an advantage. Speed is a huge advantage in many sports Track, Football (international) and many others. But in most of those sports except for say something like track, although technique is more important when all else is equal, or as near equal as one cancer, speed can be negated somewhat by having sound fundamentals. this is why CBJ has preached this week the fundementals and discipline required to negate or reduce the issue of speed.

Speed doesn't worry me as much as pace of game. When you lack depth like we do, even when you play fundementally sound football, eventually the pace, especially on defense will wear down your fundementals. It's hard to make the correct decision when tired and gassed. This is what we need to avoid. We need long sustained drives, that wear down their defense, and allows ours to rest. Time of possession, though not the only key for a win, will factor greatly.

AJ is right. If we can cause turnovers, while I wouldn't bank on it or thinks its all that plausible, it will reduce the impact of the Ducks team speed. If the Ducks were to have as many turnovers as WKU then I fully expect a win. Though it may still be a "tight" ball game. I'm glad AJ is confident in the defensive abilities of himself and teammates although I'd prefer he not say it out loud.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back