Alabama, Florida, and Georgia

17 straight losses to Alabama

Lost 16 of last 17 against Florida (Kentucky has a better record against Florida during this period)

3-14 against Georgia

All since Fulmer left. This is why Tennessee is the laughing stock of College Football. To get to the next level, we should start beating these teams at some point. Florida should be vulnerable next year and we NEED to beat them to turn the corner. Beating Kentucky, Missouri, and South Carolina is nice but at some point we need to break through.
Tennessee isn’t the laughing stock of college football because of their record against those teams. This program has been burned to the ground by the incompetent powers behind hiring coaches and ADs that had no business at a major program. This has been over more than the past decade.

So what are you expecting here a coach to come in and fix it year one? Or maybe a top ten class in the middle of an NCAA investigation? This program wasn’t destroyed instantly and it won’t be rebuilt right away. We’ve got the right guy in charge just give him time to right the ship and get some actual talent.

Love you but disagree.

Traditional method:
Five-star recruit comes on board. 18-years old. Red shirt's freshman year. Takes a scholarship. Begins to 'learn' the system.
Redshirt freshman (19 years old) has a productive year, playing time, growing, maybe even contributing. Takes a scholarship.
Reshirt sophomore plays a great year (age=20). Contributes to the success of the team. Takes a scholarship.
Redshirt junior is outstanding (age = 21). Plays up to their potential. Leader. Knows the system. Takes a scholarship. Leaves for the NFL.

Result: 4 scholarships consumed. 2.x years of total production. Average age (physical development) 19.5 years old.

Transfer portal method:
Junior college transfer is brought it to fill a spot. 20-21 years old. Has been playing at the collegiate level for 2+ years. Takes a scholarship.
Senior transfer is in second year of the 'system'. 21-22 years old. Has been playing at the collegiate level for 3+ years. Takes a scholarship.

Result: 2 scholarships consumed. 2 years of total production. Average age (physical development) 21 years old.

I'm telling you - the coach that figures this out first wins the fastest. And spends a whole lot more time on player development and a whole lot less time traveling and fussing around with prima-donna 18-year-olds.

Ok. Tells me the teams that are winning at a high clip that’s using the transfer portal to build their team as opposed to the traditional method. I will hang up and wait.

Lost 16 of last 17 against Florida (Kentucky has a better record against Florida during this period)

3-14 against Georgia

All since Fulmer left. This is why Tennessee is the laughing stock of College Football. To get to the next level, we should start beating these teams at some point. Florida should be vulnerable next year and we NEED to beat them to turn the corner. Beating Kentucky, Missouri, and South Carolina is nice but at some point we need to break through.
I will have to agree on the points made. It seems like there is some Florida mystique that keeps us losing to them. They are not a great team every year, but always seem to beat us because we commit dumb mistakes and turnovers that just gives these games away. AL will always be Bama. We are also intimidated by GA at times. Plus they recruit great players even though they have not won a natty in over 40 years. What gives with that?

Reactions: volbound1700
Ok. Tells me the teams that are winning at a high clip that’s using the transfer portal to build their team as opposed to the traditional method. I will hang up and wait.
I believe it is wait and see.

The transfer portal, or at least the new rules that have allowed for easy movement, are too new.

No one has ever built a team like that before because until now the rules didn’t allow it. Today, its the equivalent of free agency for college players (or maybe as close as one can get).

I’m telling you, first one to figure this outs wins the fastest. And im hoping CJH has figured it out.

If you generated this thread to get people angry: Congrats. I hate that crap about laughingstocks. There’s 10-12 programs in the country who wouldn’t trade their history for ours. The rest are looking up. If you doubt me, walk Neyland. A stadium like that in a town the size of Knoxville. COME ON, MAN!
We had way too many years of sophomoric decision making, both in football and admin in general but we now have adults running the school. We now have Danny White. We now have CJH. Will they topple Saban? Who knows. Has anyone else??? Clemson just cycled out. Will they be back? OSU is a magnificent program. Can they maintain?
We have the potential to be phenomenally great. They’re not 20 programs that can say that.
BS from BS. That’s the type of moronic crap that we got from damn during the game. What was it? Twice that they took the time to show us how Georgia players were hurt during the previous play. Oddly, CBS didn’t show the other 8 plays when players dropped to slow down the game. Front running carpet bagger.
Don’t tell me we’re laughingstocks. If that’s what you think, put away your orange and wear the color of the month.
I’m damn proud to be a Vol and proud of how this football has fought this year. We need to support them and the coaching staff and not whine about these guys not being able to fix the past in one season.
Me think thou doth protest too much. Laughingstock still applies to UT despite your heartfelt essay.

Reactions: Mccage

Michigan State added lots of players to their roster from the portal. Only one loss.

So 1 team. Ok.

It’s not about the number of players you get from the portal. It’s free agency and the good teams pickup what they need to plug holes in their roster. Like Alabama grabbed Henry T for LB and the WR they got.

For everyone else it’s a way to add players with experience without taking a risk on a 18 year high school player.

3-14 against Georgia

Fulmer didn’t have much success against Fla, who beat him 7 of 10 times in the 90’s, and the same record against Fulmer and replacements in the 2000’s.

Arch Manning is not coming to UT no matter who the coach is...

Im just guessing, but I think Kiff will go to LSU and it will have something to do with Arch going to LSU. There may be some politics involved here, but don’t think the Mannings do not like Lane.
Look for it to all be like a big surprise.

3-14 against Georgia

6741EFDB-09B8-40FD-9F07-4818B22BD176.gif

Tennessee isn’t the laughing stock of college football because of their record against those teams. This program has been burned to the ground by the incompetent powers behind hiring coaches and ADs that had no business at a major program. This has been over more than the past decade.

So what are you expecting here a coach to come in and fix it year one? Or maybe a top ten class in the middle of an NCAA investigation? This program wasn’t destroyed instantly and it won’t be rebuilt right away. We’ve got the right guy in charge just give him time to right the ship and get some actual talent.
Unfortunately, you are correct. I think it will take another 2-3 years to get the talent we need and at least some experience.

Reactions: Tnslim1

3-14 against Georgia

You have to CONSISTENTLY beat Ky, etc, before you can think about the top level teams. As bad as your stats are (and they are bad)…our win percentage against Mizzou, Vandy and SCar are just as unacceptable.

Bottom line. You are correct that this program has been below mediocre since Fulmer left.

Reactions: jimed1

3-14 against Georgia

No chit. Gonna have to keep a coach long enough to build a roster and create a winning culture. This garbage of firing a coach every few years has to stop. We likely will never recruit on the bama/uga level again. Fulmer caught lightning in a bottle. That's not happening again anytime soon. We've got a coach who has a system that can do more with less. Right now I'm fine giving him time and a chance to get his guys in here. No expectations of winning the SEC anytime soon, but I do want to see us be a solid 8-9 win program again.

Stability in the long run will get you some wins against these teams. You cycle through players and some years have a deeper team. Maybe not as talented but it gives you a shot. Going to have to ride it out. If Heupel can't cut it it will be another 4 or 5 year cycle again. I may die before we beat anyone of note again on a consistent basis.

If you generated this thread to get people angry: Congrats. I hate that crap about laughingstocks. There’s 10-12 programs in the country who wouldn’t trade their history for ours. The rest are looking up. If you doubt me, walk Neyland. A stadium like that in a town the size of Knoxville. COME ON, MAN!
We had way too many years of sophomoric decision making, both in football and admin in general but we now have adults running the school. We now have Danny White. We now have CJH. Will they topple Saban? Who knows. Has anyone else??? Clemson just cycled out. Will they be back? OSU is a magnificent program. Can they maintain?
We have the potential to be phenomenally great. They’re not 20 programs that can say that.
BS from BS. That’s the type of moronic crap that we got from damn during the game. What was it? Twice that they took the time to show us how Georgia players were hurt during the previous play. Oddly, CBS didn’t show the other 8 plays when players dropped to slow down the game. Front running carpet bagger.
Don’t tell me we’re laughingstocks. If that’s what you think, put away your orange and wear the color of the month.
I’m damn proud to be a Vol and proud of how this football has fought this year. We need to support them and the coaching staff and not whine about these guys not being able to fix the past in one season.
In a town this size? There are about half a million people in Knox County. We're not a small town by any means. Just saying.

I may be slow, but even I understood the thread was about success against UGA, Bama, and UF. Congrats on your improving offensive national rankings.
Everyone is getting beat by an average of 25 points to Georgia and Alabama except a team or two. Florida caught the Vols at a bad time and still trying to figure everything out. Man, you are just one of them type people that has to be miserable all the time and look at the worst in everything. Cheer up, it’s almost Christmas. I’m sure someone will fill your stocking with a bag of candy and some panties to tidy you over for a while.

Reactions: ZippyMorocco
You can't go from zero to 250 instantly. Those posting here complaining about what will potentially end up an 8 win season, after 3 years with Beldar cornhead are bordering on just trolling. Wait, I misspoke. Rosie O'donell made a scale go from 0-250 instantly. It can be done.

I expect to see the same type of success that ole miss and Arkansas are having this year next year or else I will consider this staff a complete failure.

VN Store

Back