Alabama, Florida, and Georgia

You have to CONSISTENTLY beat Ky, etc, before you can think about the top level teams. As bad as your stats are (and they are bad)…our win percentage against Mizzou, Vandy and SCar are just as unacceptable.

Bottom line. You are correct that this program has been below mediocre since Fulmer left.
This is so true. This is the first year in a while that UT has beaten the teams they are supposed to and had opportunity to also beat Ole Miss and Pitt which most didn't think would happen at the time.
I realize some think we should win every game, but to expect to beat FL, GA, or AL a year after losing to GA State and BYU is not realistic. BYU does generally play pretty good ball but UT should have won that game.
How long has it been since we won every game we should?

Reactions: EZE
Lets see what JH can do with a full strength . If he can’t get wins over Alabama, Florida, Georgia and the other west team, then we can reevaluate then. For now, I like what I see when it comes to scheme and effort. Too many mistakes to overcome against most teams, but we have going bowling as a legit expectation. I’d like another shot at Florida. That would be a good bowl rematch.

Reactions: jimed1
This is so true. This is the first year in a while that UT has beaten the teams they are supposed to and had opportunity to also beat Ole Miss and Pitt which most didn't think would happen at the time.
I realize some think we should win every game, but to expect to beat FL, GA, or AL a year after losing to GA State and BYU is not realistic. BYU does generally play pretty good ball but UT should have won that game.

Spot on…preach on!

One step at a time…and this program has taken more steps forward this season than we coulda expected. The next step is to recruit better and continue developing way we’ve got.

Reactions: jimed1
Everyone is getting beat by an average of 25 points to Georgia and Alabama except a team or two. Florida caught the Vols at a bad time and still trying to figure everything out. Man, you are just one of them type people that has to be miserable all the time and look at the worst in everything. Cheer up, it’s almost Christmas. I’m sure someone will fill your stocking with a bag of candy and some panties to tidy you over for a while.
Last season TN lost to Bama, UF, and UGA by an average of 22 points. This year, by an average of 25 points. Seems like a fair question to ask how this is trending up.

You guys should have hope going forward. It looks like you've found your coach and you're headed in the right direction. This question will be if you can keep him. If Lincoln Riley jumps to the NFL, Oklahoma may come calling. We, on the other hand, are a mess. There is no telling how our season is going to end, as it's an open question on whether the team is going to put forth any effort.

Reactions: volbound1700
Sorry guys, I can't get on here enough to respond quick enough to everyone's posts.

This is NOT an indictment at all towards current staff. I like the direction. I just want to point out that this is why people mock Tennessee's program.

Even under our crappy coaches, we have been competitive in a lot of other games, our performance against these major "rivals" is what is killing Tennessee. Even teams like Purdue can beat Ohio State every once in a while. The fact that we haven't sniffed a win against Saban while Ole Miss (of all teams), Auburn, Texas A&M, LSU, etc. can beat them says a lot.

Hopefully we turn things around but we will be mocked until we get over this hump. These streaks are historically bad for Tennessee's program (or frankly any SEC programs not named Kentucky, South Carolina, and Vanderbilt).

I will have to agree on the points made. It seems like there is some Florida mystique that keeps us losing to them. They are not a great team every year, but always seem to beat us because we commit dumb mistakes and turnovers that just gives these games away. AL will always be Bama. We are also intimidated by GA at times. Plus they recruit great players even though they have not won a natty in over 40 years. What gives with that?

Good post. Alabama and Georgia just have us beat on talent right now. Florida is a mystery to me. That is the unexplainable one and the most embarrassing one on the list.

You guys should have hope going forward. It looks like you've found your coach and you're headed in the right direction. This question will be if you can keep him. If Lincoln Riley jumps to the NFL, Oklahoma may come calling. We, on the other hand, are a mess. There is no telling how our season is going to end, as it's an open question on whether the team is going to put forth any effort.

The sad thing is that even when Florida is a mess, Tennessee still tends to lose against them. Kentucky, Missouri, South Carolina, and Vandy tend to do better against Florida than Tennessee.

We WERE the laughing stock...we're not now. Blind man can see we're finally trending on the right path, but can't get there over night when half the team exited LY. The way we're competing is really testament to JH.
I love how we've done nothing noteworthy yet we are definitely trending on the right path. Same thing was said about our last three coaches and we know how that worked out.

Uh, let’s see…4 SEC wins > 3.

You are a slow dog.
Then the thread should have been about "trending" up against the SEC, not UF, Bama, and UGA, where despite how any of you try to dress it up, no upward trending is occurring.

^^^^ this a milliion times. Hamilton wanted money and had no idea how to run a winning athletic dept.
He's probably the reason we had to settle for Dooley.
And Fulmer is the reason we had to settle for Beldar Cornbread.....a move that set us back umpteen years. 🤬

Just accept that we aren’t beating Georgia and Bama anytime soon probaly not this decade at least. Now Florida I think maybe we can upset them next year in Neyland

Last season TN lost to Bama, UF, and UGA by an average of 22 points. This year, by an average of 25 points. Seems like a fair question to ask how this is trending up.
UT had more talent last year

Reactions: A.J.
Maybe, but a less talented team losing by more this year seems the opposite of trending upward.
Maybe.
I’m trying to be as positive as possible. At least UT has beaten the teams they were supposed to.....and did have a shot at two they were underdogs to.

Reactions: volbound1700
Maybe.
I’m trying to be as positive as possible. At least UT has beaten the teams they were supposed to.....and did have a shot at two they were underdogs to.

Yeah, this isn't a condemnation on Heupel or this season. It just came up with the discussion about the Fulmer thread. UT fans are not going to get any respect until we start beating at least one of the three teams listed. Florida SHOULD be the most vulnerable right now and in reality has been the most vulnerable since Urban Meyer left but yet we have only beaten them 1x during that span.

Then the thread should have been about "trending" up against the SEC, not UF, Bama, and UGA, where despite how any of you try to dress it up, no upward trending is occurring.

Moron. You obviously haven’t watched this program much over the past several years. But, I suspect that lack of knowledge doesn’t hold you back, so carry on.

BTW, let’s circle back and discuss how Georgia “trends” when it really matters. I suspect we’ll see Kirby resort to the expected “Georgia-ing” level of choking that we’ve come to expect.

Reactions: DMichel123
The bottom line is that UT needs to basically get lucky and sign a guy like arch Manning to gain some sort of credibility with other top rated recruits. Sorry, but signing diamonds in the rough and turning them into good players, which heupal has done with hooker, isn’t going to cut it.
Look at what heupal and staff have done with 60 scholarship players….they put out a respectful product, but we’re not seeing any returns on that. What are we? 12th in the SEC in recruiting? That’s not gonna cut it. You’re kidding yourself if you think 7-5 and a **** bowl game is good year regardless of the roster. We’re still losing to bama, Georgia, and Florida every year. We can’t continue to hang our hat on edging out the Kentucky’s of the world.

butch Jones royally ****ed us by turning away Trevor Lawrence (speculation but most likely true because Burch Jones is a world class baffoon).
What we need is a Hyperspace button.

Right now…all of these teams are using the past violations against us… once this cloud is removed recruiting will pickup. The great thing with this coach is they don’t need 5* recruits at every position to win. We will upset some teams that we shouldn’t sooner than later. Other SEC teams fear Heupel with a loaded roster.

There is no one on the rosters or football staffs at Bama, Florida, or UGA that fears Heupel or UT. Not a single one.

Reactions: House of Neyland

VN Store

Back