Alexis Johnson arrested (merged/updated 4/21)

True. But it's unlikely that the post in question was written by an attorney. Do you not agree?

LA

You didn't answer my question earlier.

Would the eye witness account saying "it appeared the victim was being punched" be irrelevant if that testimony said that occurred during the play fighting time????

URL]

39-13-102. Aggravated assault.

(a) (1) A person commits aggravated assault who:

(A) Intentionally or knowingly commits an assault as defined in § 39-13-101, and the assault:

(i) Results in serious bodily injury to another;

(ii) Results in the death of another;

(iii) Involved the use or display of a deadly weapon; or

(iv) Involved strangulation or attempted strangulation; or

LexisNexis® Custom Solution: Tennessee Code Research Tool

I actually practice criminal defense. Please note item 4 in the actual Tennessee statute. I have had no less than 5 strangulation agg assault cases since the strangulation part was added. This sticks all the time in court.

That's what I said. The strangulation is the basis for the charge...not the bruising in the neck or face area. It's incorrect as stated
The accusation is aggravated assault. Any bruise in or around her neck or face area would be grounds for the charge

This was my statement:
The officer is basing the charge on the choking to near unconsciousness which will be tough to stick in court.

Last edited:
LA

You didn't answer my question earlier.

Would the eye witness account saying "it appeared the victim was being punched" be irrelevant if that testimony said that occurred during the play fighting time????

Don't remember seeing it. Could the defense argue consensual gameplay-- is that what you mean?

Don't remember seeing it. Could the defense argue consensual gameplay-- is that what you mean?

Seems to me the defense could easily argue that the physical injuries were caused by accident in play fighting

Now the witness saying "it looked like he was punching her" would be the next problem for a defense. If the witness says that part occurred during the play fighting wouldnt that be easily argued as irrelevant by the defense?

What's your argument? That it wasn't knowingly inflicted? That it wasn't meant to cause bodily harm? That he was unfairly charged? What?

Proof that he caused it and it wasn't obtained in some other manner. If it's actually choking bruises, then that is certainly damning, but we don't know for a fact what they were.

Why do you treat this case as a prosecuting attorney? You seem to allow for no leeway on what you believe to be facts of the case. The actual facts of the case have yet to be presented. What we have is speculation.

From his attorney....

Alleged victim didn't want to prosecute. Stay tuned.

Charges were filed under the domestic violence statute and in that if there are visible signs of injury it says the officer WILL make an arrest. Whether she wanted to prosecute or not...per the statute...the officer had to charge him.

Charges were filed under the domestic violence statute and in that if there are visible signs of injury it says the officer WILL make an arrest. Whether she wanted to prosecute or not...per the statute...the officer had to charge him.

Without the cooperation from a victim, they will lose that one. Easily. Its not even worth it.

Without the cooperation from a victim, they will lose that one. Easily. Its not even worth it.

I agree...but the officer did what he had to do per statute and liability purposes. Getting a prosecution without a cooperating witness though is a whole different animal. I said it in my first post I don't think these charges are going to stick as they are charged unless there are other facts not yet disclosed.

Seems to me the defense could easily argue that the physical injuries were caused by accident in play fighting

Now the witness saying "it looked like he was punching her" would be the next problem for a defense. If the witness says that part occurred during the play fighting wouldnt that be easily argued as irrelevant by the defense?

I wouldn't worry about a witness saying "it looked like he was punching her". He wasn't.

I agree...but the officer did what he had to do per statute and liability purposes. Getting a prosecution without a cooperating witness though is a whole different animal. I said it in my first post I don't think these charges are going to stick as they are charged unless there are other facts not yet disclosed.

Agreed now that there isn't a cooperating victim

I watch enough cops on spike tv to know that...I was just passing new info from his attorney.

Also, I know this doesn't mean a hill of beans about Johnson's future with the team(see Paulk), but it was new info.

Reactions: 1 person
His attorney is Greg Isaacs... the most well known defense attorney in the area.

Earlier today
Isaacs released the following statement:

"Alexis Johnson has cooperated with every aspect of the investigation. Alexis adamantly denies the allegations and intends to plead not guilty. Our firm is conducting its own independent and more expansive investigation. Alexis looks forward to having the matter resolved as expeditiously as possible."

Greg Isaacs‏@GregIsaacsLaw 35 minutes ago
Greg Isaacs Retweeted Guarantano Pey ✞

Gregory Isaacs

Last edited:
His attorney is Greg Isaacs... the most well known defense attorney in the area.

Earlier today
Isaacs released the following statement:

"Alexis Johnson has cooperated with every aspect of the investigation. Alexis adamantly denies the allegations and intends to plead not guilty. Our firm is conducting its own independent and more expansive investigation. Alexis looks forward to having the matter resolved as expeditiously as possible."

Greg Isaacs‏@GregIsaacsLaw 35 minutes ago
Greg Isaacs Retweeted Guarantano Pey ✞

Gregory Isaacs

Ok the worst case spot PR wise is about to happen it seems.

What should cbj do if this girl says she never intended to press charges and recants her story?

IMO the press is going to eat us alive if that happens and he is allowed back on the team

Last edited:

What should cbj do if this girl says she never intended to press charges and recants her story?

IMO the press is going to eat is alive if that happens

"Is" is a verb. How could a verb be eaten alive?

IMO the press is going to eat us alive if that happens and he is allowed back on the team

If the supposed victim says he is innocent I don't think it would be fair to punish him as if he were guilty.

If the supposed victim says he is innocent I don't think it would be fair to punish him as if he were guilty.

100% agree

The media will see this as another example of protecting our athletes if that happens

Looks like that's where it's heading to me

Again, compare to Paulk. If CBJ thinks the player did something wrong, charges or no, he will be punished accordingly. He always seems to be fair.

State will sometimes prosecute without victim(s)cooperation, but it's rare

Most will defer for a time and if no further acts occur, then charges are gone

VN Store

Back