Amazon lands The Lord of the Rings TV series

I think the money is going to be with following the One Ring to give general audience a safe reference point to work with. So my guess is they venture into the Last Alliance, which would be awesome.

I think the money is going to be with following the One Ring to give general audience a safe reference point to work with. So my guess is they venture into the Last Alliance, which would be awesome.

That was around 5OO years or so before the Hobbit. It would be awesome.

I really hope it's not some newly made story caught in-between The Hobbit and The Fellowship of the Ring. Man that would blow.

I think it would be really interesting if they went into the quest of the 5 wizards (2 blues, Gandalf, Saruman & Radagast) - seems like that would be another good reference point. That's one place where they get could really creative, especially with the 2 blue wizards. Their fate was left pretty open ended as I recall. Imagine season 1 being the lead up to the Last Alliance, the finale being the final battle - then season 2 we follow that quest of the 5 wizards. Now that would be cool! But of course I could see them straying away from that, as Christopher Lee passed and Ian McKellen is nearing 80. Re-casting those guys might piss off a lot of fans.

I know theres no chance this could be as good as the LoTR trilogy, but I have high hopes with the budget. Very few TV shows fail with a budget that large... minus a couple shows from Netflix like The Get Down (a whopping 200 mil for their sole season - ridiculous) and Sense8.

Either way, looking forward to whatever direction they take this. 250 mil is a nice chunk of change to work with.

I know they left a good chunk of the books out of the movies but Im not sure a series will add much more to the overall story. Weve already got like 12hrs this.
There are a ton of directions they can go. I don’t think they’ll try to add to but develop a more TV like episode line. You literally have about 4000 years of events in middle earth.

There are a ton of directions they can go. I don’t think they’ll try to add to but develop a more TV like episode line. You literally have about 4000 years of events in middle earth.
I'd think they could find some great material in The Silmarilian. Dragons, Balrogs, Morgoth.

But no, they're doing a young Aragorn story.

Reactions: Jackcrevol
So lets take one of the longest drawn out trilogies in history and make it....longer.

I'd think they could find some great material in The Silmarilian. Dragons, Balrogs, Morgoth.

But no, they're doing a young Aragorn story.
Initially, that sounds disappointing. I wouldn’t mind seeing secondary characters developed.

I guess the link I read a few weeks ago was wrong. The show will be set in the 2nd age.

While I was hoping for something set when Morgoth was running things, this is better than something set a few years before Fellowship.

Amazon Prime reveals Lord of the Rings series time period

Amazon Prime's intriguing Lord of the Rings streaming series has found its place in J.R.R. Tolkien's fantasy timeline. It will be set in the Second Age.

The Second Age covers a vast time period of over 3,400 years, and it was during this time the Ring of Power was created. The Second Age ended with the defeat of Sauron's army by an alliance of Men and Elves. This means the TV show will be set well before the main events of Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movie trilogy.

I actually tried to read some of Tolkien’s other works that this will be based on. They are so descriptive I got lost in the depth and side characters as a teenager. I love Lord of the Rings and hope this show is well done.

It’s next year in September. 2022
quantum-leap-im-retarded.gif

VN Store

Back