Another player leaving?

It was quite a few.

I hate Alabama but Saban is a hell of a coach.

I read a quote about his practices while he was at LSU about how games were rewards for busting your ass all week.

Yeah, well... I hate UT as well.:p

But, I can see some resemblance in our two programs right now.
*Both coaches are making changes in every aspect of the football program. But, if you are able to see an improvement in the next 24 months like we have, you'll be very pleased.
*Both coaches have a way of rubbing people the wrong way. I don't really care because they aren't here to win a popularity contest.
*Both are fanatics about managing their time to be as productive as humanely possible.
*Both expect their staff and the players to strive for excellance. Nothing wrong with that.

IMO, I think 2-3 years from both fanbases will be very happy with the team that takes the field. It may take some more weeding out, but that just makes room for the players that REALLY want to work hard to play.

Honestly, I don't really hate Saban like I do Meyer and Myles. Heck, I even hate Mark Richt more than Saban. Richt is just so nice and all that pansy crap that I can't stand him. Saban is kinda funny sometimes cuz he's mean to reporters and he spits garbage at LSU. But I do hate Bama nonetheless...

Appreciate it. Another thing though...he may be in Blue

Since I would love to see him at Duke (and because of Cutcliffe), that is my first assumption...but I would think he would aim higher than that. He better not go to Florida...but I doubt Kiffin would let him. Is it really Duke?

I just read this on his site as well. The first person to pop in my head was Chris Donald. Here is the quote and link.

Quote:
I marvel at the ability of 'X' to be prescient when it comes to UT football. After Morely (who he told me would be gone back in December) was officially gone, 'X' said to watch out for Donald Langley next. Last night, in a lengthy phone conversation, 'X' swore me to secrecy over who would be next but promised me there would be another one pretty soon who falls by attrition. Remember, he said 8 in all would fall and I believe we are right at that number. I will give you a hint (even though this is skirting the lines) on who it might be. He was a highly recruited player who it hasn't worked out for.

The Edge on TonyBasilio.com

First person who would pop in my head would be Crompton. :)

Since I would love to see him at Duke (and because of Cutcliffe), that is my first assumption...but I would think he would aim higher than that. He better not go to Florida...but I doubt Kiffin would let him. Is it really Duke?

My first thought was Kentucky but I can't see us releasing him to an SEC team unless he's just absolutely terrible.

This spring Donald had the opportunity to start over with a clean slate with the new staff. He's currently the third-team strongside linebacker, trying to play his way up the depth chart.

Nothing has come as easy or as quickly for him as expected, but Donald says he's determined to change the course of his career.

"It's been kind of tough. When I first got up here I was down on myself a little bit. Since then though I've just put it in God's hands, talked to my parents about it and now I'm just trying to get back to being the old me," Donald said of his approach this spring. "I'm just trying to work and compete. Just like the coaches tell us, you have to compete to get where you want to be. That's what I'm trying to do.

"I'm glad to have a blank slate. I sort of feel like I have a chance to start over, but it's all about competing out here. You have to compete to get on the field and that's what I'm trying to do. I just have to show them that I can play."

This spring has seen Donald move out of the middle, the position he's been most accustomed to, to the outside. The move comes with a different set of responsibilities, but Donald says he likes the change.

"At SAM there's probably some more coverage responsibilities with the tight-end, man-to-man situations. That's different for me, but I'm getting better with the coverages," Donald said. "I think that was one of the main problems I had coming out of high school. All I did in high school pretty much was blitz and try to go find the ball."

He said this after today's practice. This was from an article on VQ. I guess this kills the rumors that he's thinking about leaving. I'm sure he appreciates people telling him to leave because of a false rumor...

Last edited:
Here's more info about Chris Donald's progress. Sounds like he's got his head on straight.

McCoy returns to weakside linebacker : Football : GoVolsXtra.com

More Linebacker Lingo: Chris Donald said he's pleased with his improvement in UT's new defense.

"This year is going really good," the linebacker said. "I like the new defense."

Donald said he is asked to blitz more at strongside linebacker than he was under UT's former coaching staff.

"It takes me back to high school," Donald said.

Donald is splitting second-team snaps with fellow sophomore Daryl Vereen.

Donald played in two games last season after being a highly touted recruit in 2007.

"I've been hungry for awhile," the former Huntingdon High School standout said. "I've been busting my tail in class and in the weight room. I'm grinding everyday."

i hope chris donald stays, and i dont think he's goin anywhere, but anyone who cant cut it doesnt deserve to be on the team. but anyway, i know this has very little relevance to the specific thread haha but i didnt feel like making a new thread just to ask a question... where is ej abrams-ward? just curious. i looked on the roster on volquest and he wasnt there. i may be way behind on him or somethin but where is he? i searched for a thread on him and found nothin

True story about Saban. I hope I can post on here without getting bashed about being a Bama fan.:peace:

Some players just can't handle the truth about themselves, when a new staff is in place. But, with the amount of $$ these coaches make and the high expectations from power-house schools, coaches have no choice but to be successful. Or, they'll end up without a job real soon.

I can't remember the exact attrition # during Saban's 1st year, but it was definitly necessary. Sounds like Kiffin and Co. are doing a little necessary house-cleaning. It's not a bad thing, makes room for better competition.

As long as you don't act like a troll you will get along just fine. We always welcome good posters from other schools.

Welcome to VN

i hope chris donald stays, and i dont think he's goin anywhere, but anyone who cant cut it doesnt deserve to be on the team. but anyway, i know this has very little relevance to the specific thread haha but i didnt feel like making a new thread just to ask a question... where is ej abrams-ward? just curious. i looked on the roster on volquest and he wasnt there. i may be way behind on him or somethin but where is he? i searched for a thread on him and found nothin

Abrams-Ward was dismissed from the team a few weeks after Kiffin was hired, as well as a few other players.

Just wanted to comment on CD. I dont know where people get the rumor that he is leaving UT. CD has been working hard to improve on every level! He truly loves UT and has always loved UT growing up as a child. All i hear on here is how CD is a bust! CD is a red shirt soph with 3 more years left at UT. I understand he was higly rated coming out of high school. I also understand that he did not progress as fast as some of you would like. I dont understand how he can be labeled a bust and his career is not even done yet at UT. I hear people saying that CD is not a team player and yada yada! CD is my nephew and its obvious that none of you know him personally, or there would not be so many negative comments about him.
CD is a great kid with a good head on his shoulders and always puts GOD first and foremost in his life. CD has been busting his ass everyday and working harder than ever before. He knows thats it going to take alot of hard work to be an elite player in the SEC. CD comes from a great back ground and family. His mother was an All -American college basketball player and is now a school teacher. She played for Union University and her team actually beat UT, with her last sec shot pat summits first year as coach for UT. His dad (my brother) is a great man and helps keep CD positive and drives him in the right direction. He has an uncle that played minor league ball and i was very athletic and excelled in 3 sports in high school also. He has another uncle that played for UT in the early 90's that played with george teage in high school and at UT.
CD is the kind of student athlete that UT and fans should want and be proud of to represent the university of tennessee.
IMO, CD`s hard work and patience is going to pay off and he will be rewarded for it. Of course he would like to be a starting LB for UT(im sure every player would like to be a starter). He has never been negative and his demeanor is always positive. He knows that nothing is going to be handed to him and that he just has to keep working hard and improving in every phase of the game. Everyone is different, Just let this kid enjoy his college experience. In due time, i think sooner rather than later things will come together for CD and he will make an huge impact for UT. That is his goal and he just wants to help the team in anyway he can. He`s my family and i will always back him 100%. I understand that this is a message board and everyone has different oppinions and what not. All im saying that if most of you are TRUE UT fans as you say you are, that you should respect his work ethic and back him also. IMO, this is a great experince for CD to have to work hard and earn his spot. Growing up as a kid he was a beast in all 3 sports and was easily always the best player on the team. He won state championships in all 3 sports. This is all a great learning experince for CD and when his time comes, its going to make him a better person in life and better player on the field. He will appreciate everything more and the hard work and struggle will make it all worth it.
I am a hard core UT fan as much as anybody! Nobody wants to see him have a good career more than me and family! I would love to see him starting one day and making an impact for UT. I know what hes capable of and i believe his time is coming sooner rather than later. I txt him today and told Him to ignore all the negativity and just keep working hard and stay positive. He replied with- " Yes sir, you know that imma keep working hard."
For all you doubters- CD will never ever QUIT. For all the believers, just know that His time is coming! Be patient and get your popkone ready!! :popcorn: GO VOLS!!!!! :peace2:

Last edited:
I txt him today and told Him to ignore all the negativity and just keep working hard and stay positive. He replied with- " Yes sir, you know that imma keep working hard."
For all you doubters- CD will never ever QUIT. For all the believers, just know that His time is coming! Be patient and get your popkone ready!! :popcorn: GO VOLS!!!!! :peace2:

Good enough for a capital H, eh?

Seriously, though, I am a CD fan and agree that it is wayyyyyyyyyyyy too early to call him a bust. Justingroves likes to talk about how wrong Rivals always is, but the kid is a sophomore.

Just wanted to comment on CD. I dont know where people get the rumor that he is leaving UT. CD has been working hard to improve on every level! He truly loves UT and has always loved UT growing up as a child. All i hear on here is how CD is a bust! CD is a red shirt soph with 3 more years left at UT. I understand he was higly rated coming out of high school. I also understand that he did not progress as fast as some of you would like. I dont understand how he can be labeled a bust and his career is not even done yet at UT. I hear people saying that CD is not a team player and yada yada! CD is my nephew and its obvious that none of you know him personally, or there would not be so many negative comments about him.
CD is a great kid with a good head on his shoulders and always puts GOD first and foremost in his life. CD has been busting his ass everyday and working harder than ever before. He knows thats it going to take alot of hard work to be an elite player in the SEC. CD comes from a great back ground and family. His mother was an All -American college basketball player and is now a school teacher. She played for Union University and her team actually beat UT, with her last sec shot pat summits first year as coach for UT. His dad (my brother) is a great man and helps keep CD positive and drives him in the right direction. He has an uncle that played minor league ball and i was very athletic and excelled in 3 sports in high school also. He has another uncle that played for UT in the early 90's that played with george teage in high school and at UT.
CD is the kind of student athlete that UT and fans should want and be proud of to represent the university of tennessee.
IMO, CD`s hard work and patience is going to pay off and he will be rewarded for it. Of course he would like to be a starting LB for UT(im sure every player would like to be a starter). He has never been negative and his demeanor is always positive. He knows that nothing is going to be handed to him and that he just has to keep working hard and improving in every phase of the game. Everyone is different, Just let this kid enjoy his college experience. In due time, i think sooner rather than later things will come together for CD and he will make an huge impact for UT. That is his goal and he just wants to help the team in anyway he can. He`s my family and i will always back him 100%. I understand that this is a message board and everyone has different oppinions and what not. All im saying that if most of you are TRUE UT fans as you say you are, that you should respect his work ethic and back him also. IMO, this is a great experince for CD to have to work hard and earn his spot. Growing up as a kid he was a beast in all 3 sports and was easily always the best player on the team. He won state championships in all 3 sports. This is all a great learning experince for CD and when his time comes, its going to make him a better person in life and better player on the field. He will appreciate everything more and the hard work and struggle will make it all worth it.
I am a hard core UT fan as much as anybody! Nobody wants to see him have a good career more than me and family! I would love to see him starting one day and making an impact for UT. I know what hes capable of and i believe his time is coming sooner rather than later. I txt him today and told Him to ignore all the negativity and just keep working hard and stay positive. He replied with- " Yes sir, you know that imma keep working hard."

He will be the best he can be. Tell him, there are VOLS that are pulling for him. Class act.

I know what hes capable of and i believe his time is coming sooner rather than later. I txt him today and told Him to ignore all the negativity and just keep working hard and stay positive. He replied with- " Yes sir, you know that imma keep working hard."

Amen kinfolk... Tell him to ignore the 'arm chair quarterbacks' on here. With the attitude and work ethic you describe, CD will do well as a VOL and in the bigger scheme of things... life.

It's really unfortunate for him because he was so highly rated (considerably over-rated) as a high school player. This was not his fault. He didn't rate himself. He is pretty much the same size now, with essentially the same athletic ability as he had as a 14-15 year old freshman in high school. Again, not something he can very well control. He can bust it out in the weight room and put on about 15 more pounds, but he's not getting any taller. As a 15 year old, he looked like he was going to be the next Jevon Kearse, but he stayed the same size throughout high school. His senior year was hampered by an injury if my memory serves me, so the scouts could only speculate as to the extent of his athletic prowess and potential. It appears as though they may have been a bit optimistic. He sounds like a good kid with a good family.

it's not donald or wilks... name was mentioned in this thread though but it's not set in stone he is leaving. However, i think the writing is on the wall kinda like creer. he had his chance to make a move and didnt and now some new guys are coming in this fall and def will be some in the next class too.

First of all, apologies to 19 and his family for all the "punks" on here that call themselves "fans".
Given the recent articles, it appears 19 is going to be a factor for us this year. Shame on you pinheads for being such arrogant jerks.
Secondly, while not set in stone yet, it does appear the next candidate to walk is the WR recently alluded to.
One thing players must have in this system now is a motivated, tireless work ethic. In other words EFFORT all the time.

The voices in my head tell me its Eric Berry.

I can't confirm this though. Seeing as they are imaginary.

VN Store

Back