Another UGA player arrested

Yeah, it likely wouldn’t be as newsworthy if not for that terrible incident that claimed two lives, but that happening certainly makes the traffic arrests and even minor citations that have followed newsworthy. If I were a journalist I would keep up with it and report on it.

I’m sure Kirby is being held accountable, but this isn’t yet even close to something that would warrant firing Smart IMO. I do agree that something needs to be done, bc it appears that what is being done isn’t having a desired effect.
He's in no way being held accountable. I'm not exactly sure what they could do - dock his pay, maybe? After the pic of Gundy wearing the OAN shirt went public, he took a $1m pay cut and had his buyout and contract length reduced.

IMO, and I've mentioned this in here before, what makes the speeding/racing problems so bad is how many of them have happened after a teammate and staff member were killed doing it. It'd still be tragic, but at least it would be more understandable if there were a rash of incidents, culminating in people getting killed, and then it stopped for good. The fact that they've continued, and perhaps even increased, after people were killed is just mind-boggling and really does suggest some kind of cultural rot in the program. Kirby's fairly milquetoast statements about it "We haven't figured out how to stop it yet, nobody else has figured out how to stop it either" are a bad look too.

He's in no way being held accountable. I'm not exactly sure what they could do - dock his pay, maybe? After the pic of Gundy wearing the OAN shirt went public, he took a $1m pay cut and had his buyout and contract length reduced.

IMO, and I've mentioned this in here before, what makes the speeding/racing problems so bad is how many of them have happened after a teammate and staff member were killed doing it. It'd still be tragic, but at least it would be more understandable if there were a rash of incidents, culminating in people getting killed, and then it stopped for good. The fact that they've continued, and perhaps even increased, after people were killed is just mind-boggling and really does suggest some kind of cultural rot in the program. Kirby's fairly milquetoast statements about it "We haven't figured out how to stop it yet, nobody else has figured out how to stop it either" are a bad look too.
This past May, he got a bump to $13 million a year plus a 2 year extension keeping him inked to the Bulldogs program through December 2033.

Kirby Smart contract details: Georgia coach becomes highest-paid in NCAA football with two-year extension

"I’m sure you will agree with me that his leadership of our program has been tremendous," Georgia athletic director Josh Brook said. "This new contract is well deserved."

Seriously, he's being held accountable?

This past May, he got a bump to $13 million a year plus a 2 year extension keeping him inked to the Bulldogs program through December 2033.

Kirby Smart contract details: Georgia coach becomes highest-paid in NCAA football with two-year extension

"I’m sure you will agree with me that his leadership of our program has been tremendous," Georgia athletic director Josh Brook said. "This new contract is well deserved."

Seriously, he's being held accountable?
Yep. Nothing will happen until he misses the playoff, which might be so far removed from this that people have forgotten about it.

How was he cheating before? You think he is so good at it that not even a sliver of his cheating process has been reported? Too many people would be involved to have continuously gotten away with it.
paying players. sure he wasn't Pruitt dumb and handing out his own cash in McDonald's bags, but they both learned from Saban.

but I guess you think your players were the only recruits who just so happened to find abandoned cash, and car titles; while everyone else was paying under the table.

and the number of people doing it has nothing to do with being caught. UGA is a money maker, so the NCAA doesn't look into them. Its why everyone joked about the NCAA being so mad at Bama's cheating that they punished Troy. It doesn't take a degree in rocket surgery to realize there is a protected class of programs.

paying players. sure he wasn't Pruitt dumb and handing out his own cash in McDonald's bags, but they both learned from Saban.

but I guess you think your players were the only recruits who just so happened to find abandoned cash, and car titles; while everyone else was paying under the table.

and the number of people doing it has nothing to do with being caught. UGA is a money maker, so the NCAA doesn't look into them. Its why everyone joked about the NCAA being so mad at Bama's cheating that they punished Troy. It doesn't take a degree in rocket surgery to realize there is a protected class of programs.
🤣😂🤣 Sure, NCAA is protecting certain programs and they’ve become so strong and influential that they can control every single reporter or journalist that might otherwise look into this! /s Being a high profile program puts a target on you IMO.

It wouldn’t take BRAIN SCIENCE for an ambitious reporter to find something and let it be known. Especially considering how information can so easily move today.

Also, you don’t think that the more people involved in such a nefarious conspiracy would increase the likelihood of being caught?

Reactions: ThemDawgsIsHell
🤣😂🤣 Sure, NCAA is protecting certain programs and they’ve become so strong and influential that they can control every single reporter or journalist that might otherwise look into this! /s Being a high profile program puts a target on you IMO.

It wouldn’t take BRAIN SCIENCE for an ambitious reporter to find something and let it be known. Especially considering how information can so easily move today.

Also, you don’t think that the more people involved in such a nefarious conspiracy would increase the likelihood of being caught?
not when the people who would blow the whistle are in on it.

the AJC had a couple reporters digging into UGA. they lost their jobs when they brought stuff forward. one of them was a hack, and that association was used to justify the firing of a couple others.

the locals will earn more favor with from the local bias pushing positive stories than negative ones. Tennessee has a couple reporters that UT fans loathe and refuse to read or click on just because they were typically outspoken against UT about past coaches. even when it turned out they were right about our crap coaches the fans won't go back.

it was only after 2 people were killed that the national media started carrying ANY stories about the vehicular problems at UGA. most football teams don't get to that level of bad, thankfully, to draw attention that goes beyond the game/fans.

look at how much effect those reporters have had with Georgia. Two people dead, plenty of stories about following events, and nothing has changed at UGA. puts the lie to your assumption that things are too big to cover up.

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga
I’m surprised that all of the attention is on Kirby. Football players have to be enrolled at the university to play. The university has been as equally complicit in allowing these kids to stay enrolled after arrests.

not when the people who would blow the whistle are in on it.

the AJC had a couple reporters digging into UGA. they lost their jobs when they brought stuff forward. one of them was a hack, and that association was used to justify the firing of a couple others.

the locals will earn more favor with from the local bias pushing positive stories than negative ones. Tennessee has a couple reporters that UT fans loathe and refuse to read or click on just because they were typically outspoken against UT about past coaches. even when it turned out they were right about our crap coaches the fans won't go back.

it was only after 2 people were killed that the national media started carrying ANY stories about the vehicular problems at UGA. most football teams don't get to that level of bad, thankfully, to draw attention that goes beyond the game/fans.

look at how much effect those reporters have had with Georgia. Two people dead, plenty of stories about following events, and nothing has changed at UGA. puts the lie to your assumption that things are too big to cover up.
Ok, you’re attempting to change this into something other that what we were discussing. I was addressing the comment you made about Kirby being a cheater and the NCAA and everyone else just covering it up. I think that is ridiculous, we would know by now if Kirby and Co were habitual cheaters IMO. I respect that your opinion differs, but you’re wrong!!!😂. I mean this in a comical way, I do respect other’s opinions………Even when they are terribly wrong……. Sorry, I can’t help it!

Really though, maybe you’re right? I’ve never heard that Kirby has cheated, so I strongly disagree. With massive success also comes massive doubt.

I’m surprised that all of the attention is on Kirby. Football players have to be enrolled at the university to play. The university has been as equally complicit in allowing these kids to stay enrolled after arrests.
Other than the RaRa Thomas incidents, at least one of which is a felony, they wouldn't kick out regular students over speeding tickets either.

The tricky thing now is that in the Portal era, if you suspend or kick guys off the team, they get picked up by another school immediately. You can dock their NIL money, which supposedly they've been doing, but they can sign another NIL deal at another school too.

Other than the RaRa Thomas incidents, at least one of which is a felony, they wouldn't kick out regular students over speeding tickets either.

The tricky thing now is that in the Portal era, if you suspend or kick guys off the team, they get picked up by another school immediately. You can dock their NIL money, which supposedly they've been doing, but they can sign another NIL deal at another school too.

I was under the impression that the speeding was resulting in arrests because they are felonies. Why are we talking about tickets?

I agree, and I won’t pretend to know how these things work. Hell, right now I think the professionals are still attempting to figure out how such things should work, but yep, a felony is and should be treated more seriously.

As stated, I don’t know how this should work. Of course, I have an opinion, but we all know what to think of opinions at times.😂

Reactions: Nooga
I was under the impression that the speeding was resulting in arrests because they are felonies. Why are we talking about tickets?
You said "the university has been as equally complicit in allowing these kids to stay enrolled after arrests." I assumed you were talking about the tickets, which are not felonies. My point was that no university would kick out even a regular student after a speeding ticket, even multiple egregious ones. Much less a football player.

UGA can, however, expel a student for being charged with a felony.

I think it’s the reckless driving charges that lead to arrests, and they likely should have. One doesn’t get arrested for speeding citations, but reckless driving can be interpreted as many different things I believe. Some of those things are indeed felonies and can carry hefty penalties. I’m not 100%, but I think it has much to do with a disregard for the safety and welfare of others and/or their property. It makes sense, and absolutely should be taken very seriously IMO.

Reactions: adam.vol
RaRa deserves to be gone, IMO.

However, if he were a Vol, as we saw with McCullough and Beasley, the mood here would be "let the process play out. Innocent until proven guilty. You can't really decide on discipline for the guy until you have all the facts......"

That said, Kirby has a control problem. If he doesn't tighten the leash, he'll end up with Urban issues OR he'll win so much he'll end up like Saban and be untouchable no matter what his players do.

The judge in Athens has the power to put a stop to this. After seeing this same behavior over and over, one would think he would begin bringing down the hammer until it stopped. Of course, he probably has to worry about getting elected and likely an alum himself.

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga
The judge in Athens has the power to put a stop to this. After seeing this same behavior over and over, one would think he would begin bringing down the hammer until it stopped. Of course, he probably has to worry about getting elected and likely an alum himself.
And perferd seats and parking

he belongs in prison for beating a child - the judge that released him is a weak piece of garbage
If that’s what happened, agreed 100%. However, the first allegation last year was due to slapping his kid brother in the face. Hardly a beating. Probably something similar to what you or I got for back talking our elders. Rara is the legal guardian of his little brother for reasons unknown to me. Odd family dynamic for sure.

Fact remains that he and Kirby talked today according to media sources and after that, he was released. Assuming it was more than a slap this time because Rara said he understood Smart’s decision and there has been no evidence of teammates backing him on X or Instagram. That’s usually a big tell that someone either was falsely accused vs legitimately guilty when the teammates speak out or don’t on socials.

Yep. Nothing will happen until he misses the playoff, which might be so far removed from this that people have forgotten about it.
Seriously? He's already won two national championships. He's not going anywhere ever unless it's his choice to do so.

A judge can't punish one single Georgia player more harshly because there is an established pattern of OTHER Georgia players committing similar serious offenses. That's not the way it works.

Reactions: Nooga
A judge can't punish one single Georgia player more harshly because there is an established pattern of OTHER Georgia players committing similar serious offenses. That's not the way it works.
Why not? A misdemeanor offense can have a range of penalties including jail time. At some point he could make the point that enough is enough and the players would get the point as well.

If that’s what happened, agreed 100%. However, the first allegation last year was due to slapping his kid brother in the face. Hardly a beating. Probably something similar to what you or I got for back talking our elders. Rara is the legal guardian of his little brother for reasons unknown to me. Odd family dynamic for sure.

Fact remains that he and Kirby talked today according to media sources and after that, he was released. Assuming it was more than a slap this time because Rara said he understood Smart’s decision and there has been no evidence of teammates backing him on X or Instagram. That’s usually a big tell that someone either was falsely accused vs legitimately guilty when the teammates speak out or don’t on socials.
Do you have an idea of what actually did happen? I’ve looked a bit and I’m not sure. I’m sure it was egregious, I’m not looking to make excuses, I’d just like to know the truth. It’s his second offense apparently, is he a terrible person? Or is he someone we can hope finds a more positive path?

VN Store

Back