Another UGA player arrested

Do you have an idea of what actually did happen? I’ve looked a bit and I’m not sure. I’m sure it was egregious, I’m not looking to make excuses, I’d just like to know the truth. It’s his second offense apparently, is he a terrible person? Or is he someone we can hope finds a more positive path?
Nothing public on what the 2nd offense was. From what I have gathered, it’s not bad enough for the school to dismiss him, just can’t play. I’m hoping he can get his legal affairs in order, keep enough school credits, and go transfer and play elsewhere. He’s got a young baby mama and the situation with his younger brother. Heaven knows this kid needs to get on the right path quickly.

Reactions: DirtyDawg
This is the stuff that we know. What has been swept under the rug by the locals?
With the relationship (or lack thereof) between the AJC/Athens PD/UGA, I would say not much is swept away. When CMR left and Smart took over, he really ended reporter access and that’s when the AJC turned on UGA. You can definitely see that some reporters hold a grudge.

Meanwhile Clemson has had 3 guys arrested - one on a felony weapons charge, another speeding more than twice the speed limit that put two other people in the hospital, and a third on marijuana charges (still illegal in SC). None have been suspended, and it remains to be seen if they will play vs us later this month.

Optics are a strange thing…

Seriously? He's already won two national championships. He's not going anywhere ever unless it's his choice to do so.
Yes, seriously. Dabo has won 2 national titles and gets relentless chirping over 9 and 10-win seasons now. The perception of a coach changes almost overnight once they stop winning at a level people expect.

If Kirby hadn't won the 2 titles, I think he'd actually be on the hot seat over all this stuff that has gone on. The fact that UGA has been so good on the field and Kirby seems untouchable kind of masks how egregious it has been; one of his players and a staff member got killed doing it. It isn't just a handful of tickets for going 82 in a 70.

RaRa deserves to be gone, IMO.

However, if he were a Vol, as we saw with McCullough and Beasley, the mood here would be "let the process play out. Innocent until proven guilty. You can't really decide on discipline for the guy until you have all the facts......"

That said, Kirby has a control problem. If he doesn't tighten the leash, he'll end up with Urban issues OR he'll win so much he'll end up like Saban and be untouchable no matter what his players do.

AJ Johnson would have been a second round draft pick if he was playing at Georgia.

McCollough would not have missed playing time for Smart, either.

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga
Yes, seriously. Dabo has won 2 national titles and gets relentless chirping over 9 and 10-win seasons now. The perception of a coach changes almost overnight once they stop winning at a level people expect.

If Kirby hadn't won the 2 titles, I think he'd actually be on the hot seat over all this stuff that has gone on. The fact that UGA has been so good on the field and Kirby seems untouchable kind of masks how egregious it has been; one of his players and a staff member got killed doing it. It isn't just a handful of tickets for going 82 in a 70.

He should have been canned after missing the playoffs last season. How many nfl players do you need to beat an over the hill Saban team?

He should have been canned after missing the playoffs last season. How many nfl players do you need to beat an over the hill Saban team?
Just curious, do you actually believe this? I’m assuming that this is just you throwing shade at Kirby and UGA, which is perfectly acceptable and even expected.

Don’t get me wrong, we absolutely should have won that game, but we couldn’t get a stop when we needed. No excuses, Bama made the plays they needed late in the game and beat us. Do you honestly believe losing that game is grounds for the termination of Smart though? If so, would you feel the same if he were TN’s head coach?

He was kicked off the team, as was Sissaba. The traffic offenders are docked NIL money. So far this year it is several hundred thousand

Just curious, do you actually believe this? I’m assuming that this is just you throwing shade at Kirby and UGA, which is perfectly acceptable and even expected.

Don’t get me wrong, we absolutely should have won that game, but we couldn’t get a stop when we needed. No excuses, Bama made the plays they needed late in the game and beat us. Do you honestly believe losing that game is grounds for the termination of Smart though? If so, would you feel the same if he were TN’s head coach?

No, I don’t actually believe that in my heart. I exaggerate for emphasis and you are 100% correct that it’s me throwing shade. I wish TN had hired a Kirby Smart in 2009.

I will say that the reason I feel passionately about what is going on there is because I truly believe that disciplinary issues was 50% of why TN declined so dramatically, starting in the late 90’s and early 2000’s. The other half being lack of innovation in a changing sport. I think Georgia’s fans would be wise to understand that it can snowball out of control before it’s realized.

On the other hand, Georgia is rich in local talents and probably won’t have a .500 season without making an absolutely terrible hire, or if the NCAA sees an opportunity to get involved.

Why other SEC schools should care about Georgia’s off field issues:

As much as I dislike admitting it, Georgia is the flag bearer for the SEC right now.

Bama is uncertain without Nick Saban and Texas is always unreliable. TN, Ole Miss, and Missouri are on the rise, but none of them are worthy of being top 5 programs right now. LSU and Oklahoma are struggling to remain relevant. Florida and Auburn are fighting just to get their heads above water.

For 20 years now, Florida, LSU, Auburn, Alabama, or Georgia has been the best team in the country. That’s the only reason the Notre Dame, PAC 12, or Big 10 homers have conceded that the SEC is the best.

The SEC needs Georgia to remain dominant during this turbulent period of mega conferences and expanded playoffs so we can get the biggest TV deal when the time comes. The SEC needs Georgia to be the nation’s number 1 program until another team is worthy of taking that title, which may happen this year or may not happen for 10 years. Winning the national title is really all that separates us from the Big 10 after the PAC 12 merger.

Reactions: DirtyDawg
No, I don’t actually believe that in my heart. I exaggerate for emphasis and you are 100% correct that it’s me throwing shade. I wish TN had hired a Kirby Smart in 2009.

I will say that the reason I feel passionately about what is going on there is because I truly believe that disciplinary issues was 50% of why TN declined so dramatically, starting in the late 90’s and early 2000’s. The other half being lack of innovation in a changing sport. I think Georgia’s fans would be wise to understand that it can snowball out of control before it’s realized.

On the other hand, Georgia is rich in local talents and probably won’t have a .500 season without making an absolutely terrible hire, or if the NCAA sees an opportunity to get involved.
Man I’m so glad Kirby didn’t go to TN! If he had it would likely be like experiencing CFB in the 90’s all over again for me. I’m pretty sure we went the entire decade without beating you guys. I was just a kid then, but it’s something I’ll never forget! I was so tired of us getting our butts kicked by TN.😂 I do honestly think there is a good chance in the near future where GA and TN are both very good at the same time. Could be some very exciting football right around the corner!

Reactions: adam.vol
Why other SEC schools should care about Georgia’s off field issues:

As much as I dislike admitting it, Georgia is the flag bearer for the SEC right now.

Bama is uncertain without Nick Saban and Texas is always unreliable. TN, Ole Miss, and Missouri are on the rise, but none of them are worthy of being top 5 programs right now. LSU and Oklahoma are struggling to remain relevant. Florida and Auburn are fighting just to get their heads above water.

For 20 years now, Florida, LSU, Auburn, Alabama, or Georgia has been the best team in the country. That’s the only reason the Notre Dame, PAC 12, or Big 10 homers have conceded that the SEC is the best.

The SEC needs Georgia to remain dominant during this turbulent period of mega conferences and expanded playoffs so we can get the biggest TV deal when the time comes. The SEC needs Georgia to be the nation’s number 1 program until another team is worthy of taking that title, which may happen this year or may not happen for 10 years. Winning the national title is really all that separates us from the Big 10 after the PAC 12 merger.
Your take on this very much makes sense to me. Fair or not, the spotlight about these off-field issues is going to be directly on GA so long as we keep having these troubles. It’s one of the prices you pay for success.

As I’ve stated before, GA needs to be a leader and set an example of how to deal with such things because of the situation and circumstances. I honestly don’t know what would be the most effective way to handle it, but there is absolutely room for improvement IMO.

I agree also that it’s good for all of us to have a premier program in the SEC. As you stated, like Bama and others have represented in the past. The SEC continues to be tough though. It’s obvious that in the past, many very good SEC teams have been held down certain seasons bc the conference can be so cannibalistic. Maybe the new Playoff format will grant some teams in this situation a better chance.

Reactions: adam.vol
I’d like everyone to stop and think about the JOB of a coach. It’s to win games. Yes, its a nice thought that they are supposed to develop these “student” athletes into fine, upstanding young men, but every coach who loses sight of the goal of winning football games at the expense of these ancillary goals has gotten fired.

Kirby and every single other P4 coach is trying to win. Rarely, and I mean rarely, have we ever seen a coach intentionally reduce his chances of winning a game. And kudos to those who have taken a hard stance. If you remember just a couple years ago, Kirby suspended Adam Anderson for his allegations.

Yes this is a terrible look, details are unclear at this time, but we’d all benefit from taking a step back, not trying to crap on everyone, and realize that these are human beings who are not perfect, just like you and I.

As a UGA fan, I hate this. For the kid, for the player, for the baby momma involved. The games literally can get started soon enough so that these players have to only focus on games and practices and don’t have time to get tangled up in anything else.
Duplicate Post

Last edited:
I’d like everyone to stop and think about the JOB of a coach. It’s to win games. Yes, its a nice thought that they are supposed to develop these “student” athletes into fine, upstanding young men, but every coach who loses sight of the goal of winning football games at the expense of these ancillary goals has gotten fired.

Kirby and every single other P4 coach is trying to win. Rarely, and I mean rarely, have we ever seen a coach intentionally reduce his chances of winning a game. And kudos to those who have taken a hard stance. If you remember just a couple years ago, Kirby suspended Adam Anderson for his allegations.

Yes this is a terrible look, details are unclear at this time, but we’d all benefit from taking a step back, not trying to crap on everyone, and realize that these are human beings who are not perfect, just like you and I.

As a UGA fan, I hate this. For the kid, for the player, for the baby momma involved. The games literally can get started soon enough so that these players have to only focus on games and practices and don’t have time to get tangled up in anything else.
Stupid take that a coach’s priority is to win games and basically ignore everything else.

That is like saying A CEO Is supposed to make a lot of money even if he has to hire a staff of all rapist and pedophiles it’s ok because they are the best salesman in the business.

There are other expectations for coaches besides just winning games but you keep
doing your “stinking dawg” takes….

With the relationship (or lack thereof) between the AJC/Athens PD/UGA, I would say not much is swept away. When CMR left and Smart took over, he really ended reporter access and that’s when the AJC turned on UGA. You can definitely see that some reporters hold a grudge.

Meanwhile Clemson has had 3 guys arrested - one on a felony weapons charge, another speeding more than twice the speed limit that put two other people in the hospital, and a third on marijuana charges (still illegal in SC). None have been suspended, and it remains to be seen if they will play vs us later this month.

Optics are a strange thing…
Dude, as a son to a fire chief and best friends with a dude that works as a detective in Knoxville along with countless other connections to law enforcement in both KC and here in Knoxville…. (Just saying my opinion is educated)

IF… the Athens PD and AJC/ UGA is seemingly after Kirby, or the program it is FOR A REASON. Whenever Kiffin was here… guess what… they were after him and his players… do you know why? Because they were bad dudes. The things you hear about in a football program that become public, verse what is actually happening, is drastically more intense. If I had a daughter, there is ZERO chance I would send her to UGA because if they are getting in trouble for speeding and killing people publicly, what in Gods name are they doing that we don’t know about. To say that they are just after Kirby is either absolute deniability, or your the most naïve person I know.

To be a fan of a team is one thing, but to be willing to follow them blindfolded is another. Hope you choose wisely.

Dude, as a son to a fire chief and best friends with a dude that works as a detective in Knoxville along with countless other connections to law enforcement in both KC and here in Knoxville…. (Just saying my opinion is educated)

IF… the Athens PD and AJC/ UGA is seemingly after Kirby, or the program it is FOR A REASON. Whenever Kiffin was here… guess what… they were after him and his players… do you know why? Because they were bad dudes. The things you hear about in a football program that become public, verse what is actually happening, is drastically more intense. If I had a daughter, there is ZERO chance I would send her to UGA because if they are getting in trouble for speeding and killing people publicly, what in Gods name are they doing that we don’t know about. To say that they are just after Kirby is either absolute deniability, or your the most naïve person I know.

To be a fan of a team is one thing, but to be willing to follow them blindfolded is another. Hope you choose wisely.
I’ve never understood the “cops are out to get the team” mentality. In my experience most of the local PD are fans of the team and want them to win just like any other fan. They don’t want to players to be trouble makers, unfortunately with the game and money of the sport also comes trouble. Cops are just doing their jobs, there are good ones and bad ones just like any other career.

Put the responsibility on the person, don’t make excuses for bad behavior on either side of the law

Hmm 🤨 did I ever say that the cops were out to get them? No. Some dingleberry said that the APD and AJC were sweeping stuff away and I denied that was happening due to the soured relationship that happened when Kirby started limiting reporter access. I said reporters held a grudge because of that. Said nothing about the Athens police being “after Kirby”

RaRa deserves to be gone, IMO.

However, if he were a Vol, as we saw with McCullough and Beasley, the mood here would be "let the process play out. Innocent until proven guilty. You can't really decide on discipline for the guy until you have all the facts......"
We were also quick to refute everything involving Bru at USC. Medical professionals alerted police about domestic violence after examing his ex-girlfriend, the school called him a threat to campus, and he had a restraining order against him and the court ordered him to pay $70,000 to the victim (with $30,000 of that covering her legal fees). After all that, we brought him to campus and generally say the doctors, school, and courts were all wrong, but our coaching staff knew better. Now, good for Bru that we haven't heard about any of that happening here, but I still wouldn't want my daughter anywhere near him.

We should think Rara Thomas should be kicked off of uga's team for domestic violence, and we should think Jermaine Burton is a punk for pushing a girl. We should also look in the mirror and wonder when our fandom of the Vols clouds our judgement on bringing in a player with a history of domestic violence. Either it's about safety and protecting women, or it's about winning football games. Can't hold other schools to a standard that we then make excuses for at our school.

We were also quick to refute everything involving Bru at USC. Medical professionals alerted police about domestic violence after examing his ex-girlfriend, the school called him a threat to campus, and he had a restraining order against him and the court ordered him to pay $70,000 to the victim (with $30,000 of that covering her legal fees). After all that, we brought him to campus and generally say the doctors, school, and courts were all wrong, but our coaching staff knew better. Now, good for Bru that we haven't heard about any of that happening here, but I still wouldn't want my daughter anywhere near him.

We should think Rara Thomas should be kicked off of uga's team for domestic violence, and we should think Jermaine Burton is a punk for pushing a girl. We should also look in the mirror and wonder when our fandom of the Vols clouds our judgement on bringing in a player with a history of domestic violence. Either it's about safety and protecting women, or it's about winning football games. Can't hold other schools to a standard that we then make excuses for at our school.
Good point. We mostly only care what these guys do on the football field. If it helps the Vols, we love them and defend any off the field troubles. If they aren’t as great at football as we expect them to be, we throw them out. I’m guilty of this. I was happy we got Bru, but beating up women under any circumstance is wrong. I hope he has learned and changed from his past, and I wish him well, but I’m gonna feel a little torn on Saturdays about how excited I will be when he makes big plays. (I might look past it all when he catches the game winner and silences the Sanford and Son crowd in Athens. I said I was torn.)

Reactions: BlinghamptonVol

VN Store

Back