Any chance Butch brings Fulmer back?

I don't see CBJ replacing anyone anytime soon, speaking next 2-4 yrs, unless they leave on him for another staff. It would never be Fulmer, and Chavis is happy where he is. Besides, we have tried to get Chavis back in the past with no success.

I think year three will present Butch with some real decisions on the defensive side of the ball...if he keeps his recruiting momentum up. At that point we should have comparable talent with almost everybody we play, and coaching deficiencies will likely be more evident.

Reactions: 2 people
I think year three will present Butch with some real decisions on the defensive side of the ball...if he keeps his recruiting momentum up. At that point we should have comparable talent with almost everybody we play, and coaching deficiencies will likely be more evident.

Not ready to wright em off yet.

Would bet the house they'll be better than last years defensive staff.

Not ready to wright em off yet.

Would bet the house they'll be better than last years defensive staff.

I agree, but that is like saying that Charles Manson has more moral fiber than Satan.

Janacek and Martinez scare me a bit.

Reactions: 3 people
I'm not sure its hate fade. IMO its more people trying to be funny by being disrespectfull and rude.

Wonder if they bypass Phillip Fumler way?

Maybe...but some act like he ruined the program just to spite them. He had a great run and brought us a NC....good enough to earn my respect and not make donut jokes. Just sayin.

Reactions: 4 people
Maybe...but some act like he ruined the program just to spite them. He had a great run and brought us a NC....good enough to earn my respect and not make donut jokes. Just sayin.

I've softened on Fulmer a bit, but he didn't do himself any favors hovering over the program for so long after his dismissal, or by leaving the way he left.

He would likely have the fan base's universal appreciation had he exited with a little more grace, and put some distance between himself and the program like Johnny did.

Reactions: 1 person
I've softened on Fulmer a bit, but he didn't do himself any favors hovering over the program for so long after his dismissal, or by leaving the way he left.

He would likely have the fan base's universal appreciation had he exited with a little more grace, and put some distance between himself and the program like Johnny did.

I have way more respect for Fulmer than I do Majors. It was hard for Fulmer to let go of a program that he had made successful for e better part of 17 years..........Majors on the other hands, still acts like a petulant child everytime "the other guy's" name is even brought up. Not many 70 something year olds need to grow up, but he is one.

I respect all the contributions coach Majors and coach Fulmer made to our university...but as bad as coach Fulmers "parting of ways" was it was alot more gracefull than Johnny's.

Last edited:
I've noticed how well Butch has done in getting former players to come back and represent UT. Any chance he finds a way to bring Phil back in some capacity? I'd love to see him honored at a game sometime

Coach Majors as well
Long answer....NO!

Short answer.... :no:

I heard an interview with Fulmer a month or so ago and he said that CBJ as reached out to him and said he was welcome anytime without question, but Fulmer said that he hasn't even made it over there to visit yet because its still just too emotional for him to spend much time there. The man loves his Vols.

If there are only a handful of true VFLs, Coach Fulmer is no doubt one of them.

Reactions: 7 people
I have way more respect for Fulmer than I do Majors. It was hard for Fulmer to let go of a program that he had made successful for e better part of 17 years..........Majors on the other hands, still acts like a petulant child everytime "the other guy's" name is even brought up. Not many 70 something year olds need to grow up, but he is one.

I would say they both deserve respect and that both have acted like petulant children over their dismissals.

I don't think either "loved" their program more than the other.

It doesn't change my opinion. If Fulmer had gone completely off the radar for a while, he would have helped his PR cause.

I respect all the contributions coach Majors and coach Fulmer made to our university...but as bad as coach Fulmers "parting of ways" was it was alot more gracefull than Johnny's.

But Johnny put some distance between himself and the program. Fulmer would have benefited from doing the same.

But Johnny put some distance between himself and the program. Fulmer would have benefited from doing the same.

Kiffin put distance between himself and the program too. Its how you do it that counts. Majors is bitter, pure and simple. Fulmer was heartbroken. There's a difference.

Reactions: 2 people
Kiffin put distance between himself and the program too. Its how you do it that counts. Majors is bitter, pure and simple. Fulmer was heartbroken. There's a difference.

OK...I think they were both heartbroken and bitter. Attributing and interpreting the emotional turmoil is impossible to do from the outside, and is nothing more than speculation.

Kiffin is irrelevant to the situation, and doesn't have any place in the argument.

I'm not defending the Johnny, I'm just saying that he has benefited from a PR standpoint by putting space between himself and the program. You obviously don't agree with my premise that Fulmer would have benefited by doing the same. I don't have any problems agreeing to disagree.

If Butch brings anybody back...and I never thought I would say this...Dan Brooks would be my first choice. Chavis would be a close second.

I have much more confidence in the offensive staff than I do with the defensive coaches.

Ha. Brooks scared the hell out my kid at Fulmers last camp as coach. My kid was 9 or 10 at the time. He was doing a dummy drill that Brooks was leading. Brooks told the kids run through the dummy then set it up for the next guy. My kid ran through it and then got back in line. Brooks yells at him "can you not follow directions?". He caught himself before he went off him. I think he realized the kid was only 9. I don't think dealing with small kids was his thing. I laughed my butt off. My kid hates him to this day. Clemson was on last season and I overheard my son say from his room "run through this jerk".

The only real difference is in the two men's temperament. One, Majors, was a bit edgy, and the other, Fulmer, was laaaaaaaid baaaaaack. Both of them had an exaggerated sense of ability and accomplishment.

The only real difference is in the two men's temperament. One, Majors, was a bit edgy, and the other, Fulmer, was laaaaaaaid baaaaaack. Both of them had an exaggerated sense of ability and accomplishment.

Name a coach who doesn't think they can win big at whatever school they're at. Think CBJ is convinced 8-4 is the best UT will do under him? No way.

VN Store

Back