Any chance Butch brings Fulmer back?

I don't understand what those of you mean by, "not going away". All I remember is a few harmless interviews

I think Fulmer enjoys taking it easy with his only movement walking to the mailbox to collect that fat check.

He stopped getting checks Jan 2013 but I am sure he has a lot of the 6 million left. It is funny his checked stopped last January and Derek Dooley check started for the next 4 years. They should make Mike Hamilton pay some of this money because he put the University in the financial shape it is in with all of these buyouts in their contracts.

They should make Mike Hamilton pay some of this money because he put the University in the financial shape it is in with all of these buyouts in their contracts.

UT should especially press strongly to renegotiate MH's apparent contractual departure agreement to give Hamilton use of a "skybox" for a long period of time, or indefinitely, however it might be worded. Those boxes generate a significant revenue stream for UT and MH is no longer affiliated with UT, will never be, and isn't an alum or likely supporter/donor. Thus, UT should try to undo that "Cheek" negotiated, costly perk.

The only real difference is in the two men's temperament. One, Majors, was a bit edgy, and the other, Fulmer, was laaaaaaaid baaaaaack. Both of them had an exaggerated sense of ability and accomplishment.

152-52 needs no exaggeration. Speaks for itself.

Reactions: 6 people
I may be in the minority, but I would like to see Fulmer in the AD office in some capacity. He's still respected in coaching circles, good with PR, and would be a great ambassador for the university.

Reactions: 3 people
I have way more respect for Fulmer than I do Majors. It was hard for Fulmer to let go of a program that he had made successful for e better part of 17 years..........Majors on the other hands, still acts like a petulant child everytime "the other guy's" name is even brought up. Not many 70 something year olds need to grow up, but he is one.
They both coached for the same number of years. And Majors rebuilt the program from a similar situation to what we have now. I can see where they would both have a hard time letting go.The difference is that in Majors case the man he blames for "thrusting the knife in" is someone that he mentored, and is the one who replaced him on the sidelines. I can see where he would be bitter about that. I do agree that it is long past time for him to get over it though.

I've noticed how well Butch has done in getting former players to come back and represent UT. Any chance he finds a way to bring Phil back in some capacity? I'd love to see him honored at a game sometime

Coach Majors as well
I believe that Butch Jones is big enough of a boy to clean his own plate up without the help of Fulmer.

Reactions: 1 person
I wouldn't mind seeing Fulmer replace Kesling as Voice of the Vols. His knowledge of the game would be invaluable. Also, wasn't Fulmer a teammate of Tim Priest in their playing days?

Like him or not, every one on this board supported him when he was winning.
I supported him because he was Tennessee's coach but sure as hell got pissed when the Vols lost to a team with inferior players due to coaching inadequacies.

I've noticed how well Butch has done in getting former players to come back and represent UT. Any chance he finds a way to bring Phil back in some capacity? I'd love to see him honored at a game sometime

Coach Majors as well

Whew! I thought you meant as a coach.

I think it is almost certain that he will get around to making peace between Fulmer and the program. He may not have the political capital to do it right now though.

He will invite Fulmer back the same way he invited the players back. As an interested observer.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back