Any other precious metals stackers on VN?

So I just found this tread because I typically avoid the Politics forums. I started buying silver back in 2016 at around $13 or $14 a coin, not counting spot. I wish I had bought more, but thinking about still buying more now. What are your thoughts about buying now? I have been using Kitco.com, do you know of a better site or way to buy PM?

I think it is still smart to be a buyer. I firmly believe that silver is incredibly underpriced when compared to it's diminishing supply vs the potential future commercial demands. It is also the single most manipulated commodity on earth. My belief is that the market value will continue to put pressure on the price until it eventually pops and renders the market manipulators powerless. When that happens the real value of silver will exert it's will on the market and silver prices will expand exponentially.

Gold is not as bound up by manipulation but it's potential lies with future sentiment. As the economy begins it's certain downward spiral, the discussion surrounding digital currencies and possible inflationary pressure ramp up gold will reclaim it's role as real money. I think it is a near certainty that it will also see exponential growth.

I think current prices paid will mean very little when viewed through the crucible of time.

Last edited:
Reactions: AllVols
All of my money goes into real estate.

I keep 6 months of income in a savings account with a private bank that offers 4 percent interest but outside of that everything else I have goes into property or land. I have zero stocks.
Any of it income producing?

Any of it income producing?

I view them as a whole not individually.

As a whole yes they are and have been since about 4 years after first starting.

I don’t know if now is a good time to start though due to the market.

I got in around 2009 when the Columbus market tanked and I bought for pennies on the dollar from people with no doc/interest only loans who foreclosed. I stopped adding recently to my portfolio as nothing feels right and I think there is a collapse coming in the next 5 years.

To be more precise, I bought 210k homes for 65k, that are now valued at 248k. I rent the homes out I bought for 65k for 1,200 a month. Took 5 years to get my cash investment back and then all was profit. I now buy that same house at 248k and rent it for 1,200 and I am 20 years in the hole before turning a profit. Yes I have an asset but the liquidity is nil. So for now, I am in a holding pattern.

Reactions: volinbham

I got in around 2009 when the Columbus market tanked and I bought for pennies on the dollar from people with no doc/interest only loans who foreclosed. I stopped adding recently to my portfolio as nothing feels right and I think there is a collapse coming in the next 5 years.

To be more precise, I bought 210k homes for 65k, that are now valued at 248k. I rent the homes out I bought for 65k for 1,200 a month. Took 5 years to get my cash investment back and then all was profit. I now buy that same house at 248k and rent it for 1,200 and I am 20 years in the hole before turning a profit. Yes I have an asset but the liquidity is nil. So for now, I am in a holding pattern.
Yea, I have some duplex properties that I purchased and rent out. Low end stuff, but the margins are pretty high. Paid 40k now worth about 110k. Rent at $900

I’ve been looking to buy more for a few years now, but the prices are crazy right now and I won’t overpay. Just have my RE capital sitting in income producing securities until this market cools off.

Reactions: AllVols and NEO
Yea, I have some duplex properties that I purchased and rent out. Low end stuff, but the margins are pretty high. Paid 40k now worth about 110k. Rent at $900

I’ve been looking to buy more for a few years now, but the prices are crazy right now and I won’t overpay. Just have my RE capital sitting in income producing securities until this market cools off.

Duplex’s are the way to go when you can. The area I went heavy in was around OSU and there just weren’t a lot there.

Reactions: 85SugarVol
Duplex’s are the way to go when you can. The area I went heavy in was around OSU and there just weren’t a lot there.
I really like them - they’re pretty much all I look at. Good bang for the buck.

Reactions: NEO
Stacking the wrong metal...

"We Like The Cube" - Thousands Of Crypto Traders Are Paying Top Dollar For Tungsten | ZeroHedge

The demand for tungsten came out of twitter and chat service Telegram. Crypto traders and other tungsten enthusiasts prompted a major run on tungsten supplies in recent weeks, with some paying $400 apiece for 2-inch cubes weighing around 5 lbs, and others paying $3,000 for the 4-inch version, which is about as heavy as "a low-horsepower outboard motor", according to WSJ.

Midwest Tungsten, a producer of the cubes, has seen its inventories hammered by the demand for the cube.

Even NFTs of the metal cubes have sold out.

I guess you can sell your gold plated tungsten bars now...

Stacking the wrong metal...

"We Like The Cube" - Thousands Of Crypto Traders Are Paying Top Dollar For Tungsten | ZeroHedge

I guess you can sell your gold plated tungsten bars now...

I know copper prices are really high right now and even scrap steel is running around a dime a pound (normally runs around the nickel mark or so) along with other non-rare earth metals staying up there.

Even without hoarding the "precious metals" other metals are running good enough that one should be thinking twice before throwing out anything electronic or metal. Scrap it, sell it and take the profit while the getting is good.

Reactions: 85SugarVol
If you want to make money you'll invest in stocks and/or crypto. If you want to have a hobby you'll do this metal stuff.
I’m quoting a 7 month old comment so the joke is on me I guess. But buying gold isn’t foolish and it is as close to a guaranteed positive return in the investment market as you can get. We still haven’t even begun to feel the effects of inflation and deprecation of the dollar. I wish I could afford to buy Gold in bulk.

I’m quoting a 7 month old comment so the joke is on me I guess. But buying gold isn’t foolish and it is as close to a guaranteed positive return in the investment market as you can get. We still haven’t even begun to feel the effects of inflation and deprecation of the dollar. I wish I could afford to buy Gold in bulk.
Devil's advocate: Will we really see hyperinflation if they decide to usher in digital currency?

Reactions: lukeneyland
As long as fiat money is practiced you will eventually see it
Don't misunderstand what I'm saying. I agree with stacking. I'm just throwing out a scenario where these guys make some attempt to avoid all of these dollars and try to changeover to CBDCs?

Don't misunderstand what I'm saying. I agree with stacking. I'm just throwing out a scenario where these guys make some attempt to avoid all of these dollars and try to changeover to CBDCs?
Oh my bad. Well I’m not really sure what I’d say about that scenario. Are you positing a situation where the U.S officially sanctions a competing currency, or a situation where a competing currency eventually usurps the dollar organically?

Oh my bad. Well I’m not really sure what I’d say about that scenario. Are you positing a situation where the U.S officially sanctions a competing currency, or a situation where a competing currency eventually usurps the dollar organically?
Neither. I'm saying they just flip a switch and say that paper notes are null and void, you have to use the new digital Fed coin. They will even reprice bank and retirement accts to the new digital currency.

Neither. I'm saying they just flip a switch and say that paper notes are null and void, you have to use the new digital Fed coin. They will even reprice bank and retirement accts to the new digital currency.
Would our debt and outstanding bonds etc still be honored? Anyway yeah it is plausible that they’d pull a FDR and outlaw gold ownership if they went down that route

Would our debt and outstanding bonds etc still be honored? Anyway yeah it is plausible that they’d pull a FDR and outlaw gold ownership if they went down that route
Well, let me back up, because you mentioned competing currency. My hypothetical situation wouldn't necessarily involve a competing currency, but more like a parallel currency. They could have a domestic digital dollar for us here and maintain a separate dollar for international trade. So they would basically be able to steal from the people here in order to maintain trade and still try to keep things afloat. All of the accounts, bonds and debts of the citizens would be repriced in the digital dollar and all external accounting would remain essentially the same.

Reactions: lukeneyland
I know copper prices are really high right now and even scrap steel is running around a dime a pound (normally runs around the nickel mark or so) along with other non-rare earth metals staying up there.

Even without hoarding the "precious metals" other metals are running good enough that one should be thinking twice before throwing out anything electronic or metal. Scrap it, sell it and take the profit while the getting is good.
Speaking of stacking “metal” - how does ammo hold up adjusted for inflation over time?

Does it hold its value? Appreciate, Depreciate?

Speaking of stacking “metal” - how does ammo hold up adjusted for inflation over time?

Does it hold its value? Appreciate, Depreciate?

It has some wild fluctuations over a specified period of time. It's not easy to say what's "normal" with ammo prices necessarily and how well it holds it's value at purchase time since it's normally artificially created situations that are causing the prices to rise and fall. Sandy Hook, Presidential elections, Covid and other world events tend to make people buy more ammo, hence the prices rise significantly over a short period of time.

For example, I know people who were buying certain types of ammo for $1-$1.30 per round during the Covid shortages. Same ammo prior to was around $0.35 a round or less. It's between $0.42-0.50 range now ; so the people that bought it last year certainly have lost money .

Same ammo I bought some years ago for $0.27-0.30 per round, so, mine certainly has appreciated over time. How much depends on how in demand it happens to be.

Generally speaking, it's hard to nail down how "well" ammo holds its value over a given time since it greatly depends on how much you bought said ammo for to begin with. If you bought it cheap, it tends to hold its value fairly well. If you bought it during period where the market was high, chances are you're "losing" money so to speak.

Well, let me back up, because you mentioned competing currency. My hypothetical situation wouldn't necessarily involve a competing currency, but more like a parallel currency. They could have a domestic digital dollar for us here and maintain a separate dollar for international trade. So they would basically be able to steal from the people here in order to maintain trade and still try to keep things afloat. All of the accounts, bonds and debts of the citizens would be repriced in the digital dollar and all external accounting would remain essentially the same.
I see. That is very plausible. Sort of reminds me of FDR forcing people to sell their gold at a fixed price then raising the price of said Gold once all of it has been confiscated. In the scenario you are describing I think it’s probable that Government would crack down on the trade of precious metals to ensure the survival of their new currency. China sort of operates like the way you hypothesized, the deal domestically with their extremely depreciated currency but conduct international commerce with the dollar.

Reactions: Rasputin_Vol
Start stacking pennies and nickels...

Inflation's Impact: The Penny's Plunge Into Irrelevance

The US penny, which is primarily made of zinc, costs roughly three cents to produce and is only worth one cent according to the federal government. This is the opposite of what has happened historically. Generally, governments produce currency that is worth far more than the cost of producing it. Imagine printing a one hundred dollar bill which costs far less than a hundred dollars in materials and printing costs. The profit from this is called seigniorage. With pennies, the US government is practicing reverse seigniorage.

This loss of money from producing pennies is one of the arguments for abolishing the US penny. There are other arguments against the penny such as the claim that it’s worth so little compared to the typical American wage that it makes no sense to denominate prices in pennies, would anyone argue that the United States needs a coin worth half a penny?

In fact, the United States used to have a half-cent coin which was abolished in 1857 for being worth too little. A half-cent in 1857 would be worth approximately 18 cents today. That of course is more valuable than not only the penny but the nickel and dime as well.

I consider them to be much akin to so many stocks who's value are based on absolutely nothing. I do not believe those who pull the strings behind the scenes will allow non state cryptos to ever become usable currency on a wide scale. I also do not believe that they are as hack proof as most do. It will only take on nation sponsor hacker to disrupt the block chain tech. Will it happen at present? Not sure. I am skeptical that they will be allowd to become a pool filled with fiat dollars or other currencies beyond the influence of the EU, China or even the US if they really choose not to allow it.

In addition, in the event of a catastrophic event that robs us of power for an extended period, cryptos or other digitally stored currencies (term used loosely ) would be useless.

Another problem with the premise that some have regarding especially bitcoin,,,,, how could values be placed on items for sale or purchase based off of an ever changing cryto value?
Paper currency fluctuates in value yet people manage to price items. I actually find many on line vendors give as much as 20% discount for using bitcoin.

All of my money goes into real estate.

I keep 6 months of income in a savings account with a private bank that offers 4 percent interest but outside of that everything else I have goes into property or land. I have zero stocks.
You can own dirt.

Residential real estate prices are insane here. I will continue to invest here because there is no more land available. I only have two houses. One is a rental that my daughter lives in and I lose lots of money every month. I could rent it for 2500/month, but instead I rent it to her and she pays me $1,400, but i pay all the bills, electric, water, yard care, trash, internet etc. I lose money hand over fist on the deal, but she's going to college so...

Reactions: McDad
Two years ago I bought about 140 ounces of physical silver, average around $16 an ounce. Sold all but 20 ounces at $27 last year.

Still have the 20 ounces.

Also I go in and out of SLV and IAU etf. Usually buy on 2 day downswing and get out if 5 % return .

May I ask where you’re buying physical silver? I’ve seen some gold and silver through estate sales but typically people bid up to the market value and then you’re still paying whatever % auction fee on top.

I’m open to diversifying a bit and like the idea of physical gold/silver, but I’m just not sure how to buy at market price instead of above.

VN Store

Back