Any scrimmage coverage tonight?

Agree. There were a few who thought he was better than he was, but I don’t recall anyone thinking he was a star. I just got tired of watching him give himself up to blockers on so many occasions. He’d just run right into them. It was like he thought he was a defensive tackle who was supposed to absorb blockers and not the LB who was supposed to avoid them and make the tackle. Kirkland did the latter, but couldn’t stay healthy, so Jumper played.
Instincts were a step slow. He made up for it (somewhat) with his energy and team mentality…also a surprisingly good situational pass rusher. I liken him to Eli Herring with less talent surrounding him. Kirkland was superior but couldn’t stay healthy for extended periods of time…and Dillon Bates was disappointing.

Instincts were a step slow. He made up for it (somewhat) with his energy and team mentality…also a surprisingly good situational pass rusher. I liken him to Eli Herring with less talent surrounding him. Kirkland was superior but couldn’t stay healthy for extended periods of time…and Dillon Bates was disappointing.
Agreed. If you take a look at his videos from that time, most of the time he’s stretched out reaching to try to make a tackle. Few they are who are SEC caliber RBs that simply run through those, they did, and ran through or by him consistently. He was not a bad kid or bad player he just had no business playing in the SEC as a LB IMO.

Agree. There were a few who thought he was better than he was, but I don’t recall anyone thinking he was a star. I just got tired of watching him give himself up to blockers on so many occasions. He’d just run right into them. It was like he thought he was a defensive tackle who was supposed to absorb blockers and not the LB who was supposed to avoid them and make the tackle. Kirkland did the latter, but couldn’t stay healthy, so Jumper played.
CJ is the Orange Rudy. Not as physically gifted as you would want an SEC MLB to be but very good football IQ, that got him in position to make many plays. He certainly took advantage of every opportunity to play that came his way. That he went on to the NFL as UDFA to a 3 year deal with Atlanta is a great storyline, damn shame he injured his knee.

Last edited:
Watched the scrimmage on YouTube. Qb1 and QB2 looked equally capable. QB3 showed out. The receiving corps looks deep, good, and might be good enough so that it wouldn't matter who was the QB. This was just a scrimmage, but if these guys play as well as the scrimmage suggests, we may be the Gorgo or Godzilla of the 2024 CFB season.
What do you mean you watched the scrimmage on YouTube? It’s not on there.

What do you mean you watched the scrimmage on YouTube? It’s not on there.
I watched it. I was surfing YouTube on my ROKU device, actually looking for more Buster Keaton shorts. I just love Old Stone Face. Then saw the scrimmage and watched it from start to finish. I am beginning to think, my ROKU has magical powers because it seems stuff show up (so far) on Netflix, YouTube, and more rare, Tubi that isn't supposed to. I'm too busy right now, but very early this AM, I saw this on YouTube Deadpool and Wolverine (Full Movie). I think that movie is in theaters, so shouldn't be on YouTube except as maybe a trailer. But there it was. Tonight, I will check again, if it's there, I'm watching it. As for the scrimmage, it was there. Josh Dobbs showed up, so did Trey Smith.

I watched it. I was surfing YouTube on my ROKU device, actually looking for more Buster Keaton shorts. I just love Old Stone Face. Then saw the scrimmage and watched it from start to finish. I am beginning to think, my ROKU has magical powers because it seems stuff show up (so far) on Netflix, YouTube, and more rare, Tubi that isn't supposed to. I'm too busy right now, but very early this AM, I saw this on YouTube Deadpool and Wolverine (Full Movie). I think that movie is in theaters, so shouldn't be on YouTube except as maybe a trailer. But there it was. Tonight, I will check again, if it's there, I'm watching it. As for the scrimmage, it was there. Josh Dobbs showed up, so did Trey Smith.
1723382828053.gif

Last edited:
Whatever. All I know is it showed up and I watched it. From what I saw, fans were seated mainly on the lowest decks. Scripted score was IIRC, Orange 21, White 14. Take or leave it. The 8 million dollar man better watch it, Gaston looked really good.
Wasn’t Dobbs scrimmaging against the Titans? Maybe he was able to make it to both somehow. Also didn’t know fans were allowed in.

Maybe you’re thinking of the orange and white game.

Last edited:
H
Whatever. All I know is it showed up and I watched it. From what I saw, fans were seated mainly on the lowest decks. Scripted score was IIRC, Orange 21, White 14. Take or leave it. The 8 million dollar man better watch it, Gaston looked really good.
Have you got a link to watch that? I know I for one would enjoy watching it.

that's Spring Ball my friend....spring ball

Reactions: WoodsmanVol
Wasn’t Dobbs scrimmaging against the Titans? Maybe he was able to make it to both somehow.
That's what puzzled me. I wondered how he was at the scrimmage if he had a game (didn't know who it was vs. at the time), but being the Titans if in Nashville, maybe hew as able to get away for a bit. All I know is what I saw. I'm positive Dobbs doesn't have the powers of Luornu Durgo, or Jamie Madrox.
But there he was, with Trey Smith. Trey puzzled me too because I thought with NFL preseason, players only have time to breathe, eat, and practice.

Reactions: LittleVol
That's what puzzled me. I wondered how he was at the scrimmage if he had a game (didn't know who it was vs. at the time), but being the Titans if in Nashville, maybe hew as able to get away for a bit. All I know is what I saw. I'm positive Dobbs doesn't have the powers of Luornu Durgo, or Jamie Madrox.
But there he was, with Trey Smith. Trey puzzled me too because I thought with NFL preseason, players only have time to breathe, eat, and practice.
I think you’re thinking of the orange and white game brother.

I’m not hating on him nor do I hate him. He was serviceable but everyone tried to make him sound like he was a mix of Brian Urlacher and a Naval general in the offseason and he was ok at best. Just curious if this is just hype for Brooks or if he’s a baller.
Just so you know, USN is Admiral not general

Welcome to 21st Century. 18 iPads....wouldn't like to have access to that feed.

Beginning this season, teams will also get to use up to 18 tablets for viewing in-game replays, including broadcast feeds and camera angles from a team's sideline and the end zone. The tablets can be viewed by all team personnel but cannot connect to other devices, project larger images or provide data and analytics.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
FYI

Tennessee will practice again Monday morning then take Tuesday off before getting back to work Wednesday morning to prepare for a Thursday morning scrimmage at Neyland Stadium.

NO ONE made him out to be that…fan narrative fiction.
Quite a few people on here were gushing about him going to Navy before getting to Knoxville and that mixed with what Butch and co were making him out to be from reports in camp definitely gave that impression. He made some key plays in those years but also was a little slow and would get his tackles after a rb was already 7+ yards down the field. Also got caught up in blocks one too many times.

VN Store

Back