Anyone scared our defense makes Iowa QB look like a Heisman candidate?

Offense is in some ways, the best defense. Our defense has done well in games we’ve been able to run the ball well and keep the chains moving (offensively).

In the games we got trucked on defense, our offense was garbage. That’s typical of all teams to an extent, but it is exasperated with us because of hurry up offense we run. When you have a 45 second 3 and out after the defense was just on the field for a 10+ play drive, no defense could look good.

Personally, I’m excited to see guys like Matthews and Gibson out there. And hoping and praying we roll with Nico. Would be the best Christmas present for sure!
It’s not the hurry up as much as going 3 and out 2-3 times in a row. A few games we only had like 9-10 plays for a entire quarter. The year before we ran tempo but we often picked up 2-3 first downs even when we didn’t score. Quick 3 and outs isn’t good for any defense much less if your going fast on offense. We have to develop a offense that can go fast or slow and at least move the sticks a time or 2 the majority of the time. GBO

Reactions: chattavol420
If we were playing anyone else you might have a point. Like maybe a high school team. But Iowa's Passing attack is uhhhh. Bro, they passed for 1601 yards in 13 games along with 9 td's and 9 ints. not their Starting QB their TEAM 123 yards per game. Their starting QB threw for over 120 yards twice.....223 and 167. now if Cade Mcnamarra hadn't torn His ACL the story would be different but they are stuck with Jared Lorenzen's Slightly smaller cousin Deacon Hill instead. Their 2 biggest threats on offense (tight ends) are out on season-ending injuries and likely would be opting out for the draft anyway. So you take an already bad offense and take their best 3 players away, they didn't lose anything of note to the portal so far except a bunch of backup QB's and a reserve WR. But what they have left isn't much to sneeze at.

Right now as it stands their biggest offensive threat is their 3rd string TE. Can't make this up their 3rd string TE is better than their starting WR's. He was good for 29 catches for 178 yards and 2 TD's. If they score more than 14 against us something is seriously wrong. Just no......Them rushing for 200 yards is more likely than them passing for 200.... that is also very unlikely as they only rushed for 1500 on the season 117 per game. I'll go out on a limb and say if they can muster 300 yards of total offense against us they have played their best game of the season.

TY. So those are reasons for members talking about the game as a scrimmage. Of course Nico is not expected to play a perfect game, but I think we will see him make numerous amazingly well executed plays. He will want the W and lead the team to it. It will be big if our offense can entertain the crowd; the sport press should cut us some slack.

Last edited:
Agree with all of this, other than the fact that we do have three very solid RBs who are bigger threats than our #3 TE.
You do make a good point Williams and Moulton look like really good backs. I kind of overlooked that for 2 reasons. 1 the Op made this thread about Hill and 2 looking at the stats you guys don't seem to throw to the backs very often.

You do make a good point Williams and Moulton look like really good backs. I kind of overlooked that for 2 reasons. 1 the Op made this thread about Hill and 2 looking at the stats you guys don't seem to throw to the backs very often.
Williams, Johnson and Patterson. Wish we threw to them more.

Moulton is very solid, but very young. Was used as an emergency player earlier in the season and hasn't seen the field since.

They do have a new OC. You can bet your last money he will be airing it out a lot more than the fellow he replaced.

Reactions: oz615
It’s not the hurry up as much as going 3 and out 2-3 times in a row. A few games we only had like 9-10 plays for a entire quarter. The year before we ran tempo but we often picked up 2-3 first downs even when we didn’t score. Quick 3 and outs isn’t good for any defense much less if your going fast on offense. We have to develop a offense that can go fast or slow and at least move the sticks a time or 2 the majority of the time. GBO
Yeah, totally agree. This season once we had adapted to the inability to consistently make accurate throws down the field… We went to the run heavy look (which the offense isn’t really designed for). it felt like we should’ve then abandoned the hurry up a lot of the time. I can understand if you hit a big play or get a first down but when your defense has just been out there for a long time, I kinda think we should went slow to start the drive so as to ensure if you if you go 3 and out, at least you hold the ball for a few minutes.

But another school of thought was that Heupel wanted to run “his system” as much for the future as for this year. Even if we weren’t effective with the vertical passing attack, maybe just continuing to run the same sets and getting the entire offense experience in it made sense. It’s kind of like when a coach wants to Implement a read-option offence, but don’t have a duel threat quarterback ready to play. Sometimes they roll with the more experienced pro style qb (even though it doesn’t suit them well) just for the future.

Ok maybe not every. But are you going to deny that it’s very common for opponents average quarterbacks have stellar games against us??????? Because if so, I’ll be glad to give you a long list.

I hope it is not another game with the other team's third-and-longs turning into first downs and touchdowns.

I also have always thought this was a transition year...except for first half of Bama game when we were up 20-7 and I became a BIT delusional. I really like what I've seen this year from second year talents like Pierce and Josephs...and think we've got more coming off RS and incoming frosh ready to show out...on top of Vets coming back, I think, in the trenches.
For all the hoopla in recruiting, it really is a fact that you win on the lines of scrimmage. Glad we spent to bring our experienced players back, but it is a concern that we've not gotten at least one real impact type recruit on the defensive line. Looks like we did a pretty decent job on the OL tho.

Iowa’s offense will show out and look like world beaters for the first time all season against us. It’s the Tennessee way.

And yes…I still have a raging case of BVS.

With the opt-outs and the way bowl games are done, I feel like this is more of an exhibition game than anything. I'll watch it but I'm not even as invested as a regular season game other than to see what Nico can do. This almost feels like tryouts for next season.

You can't be serious. Iowa is a veteran football team. They will design a short passing game against this defense with a weak secondary sure to be confused probably especially at safety and nickel.6
They could eat us up with short 5 to 6 yd passes,

Reactions: BreatheUT
They could eat us up with short 5 to 6 yd passes,

We haven't been that good at stopping it this year. That is probably Iowa's best chance. A running game and a short passing game as an extension to the running game.

VN Store

Back