Are Asian Americans “White Adjacent”?

Not talking about big business. That’s just DEI, and all for show.

Universities using race to select admission. The kind of Affirmative Action that generated most of the controversy.

I do find it problematic for public universities to make decisions based off skin color, but the result of getting more minorities into higher education is not really problematic to me, if that makes sense.

As a matter of practicality, I used to be vehemently opposed to AA because my thoughts were "I want the most qualified student to be my surgeon/lawyer/CPA" but then I saw a pretty compelling case made that the differences in HS qualifications for minority entrants are not actually seen in the job world. With that in mind, opposing AA seems like an incredibly low priority fight.

Then let’s back up.

Where do you see the break and take issue?

I don't really want to walk through anymore of this. I think it's safe to say it's very difficult to identify anybody who is saying that Asians are not "'real' minorities or POC's". In all my searching and my asking, we found one school district categorizing results as non-POC.

I do find it problematic for public universities to make decisions based off skin color, but the result of getting more minorities into higher education is not really problematic to me, if that makes sense.

As a matter of practicality, I used to be vehemently opposed to AA because my thoughts were "I want the most qualified student to be my surgeon/lawyer/CPA" but then I saw a pretty compelling case made that the differences in HS qualifications for minority entrants are not actually seen in the job world. With that in mind, opposing AA seems like an incredibly low priority fight.

I’d be curious to see that data

I understand. I don’t agree, but I do understand your position.

Legal immigrants and their children are very good at conforming to the system (which is what seems to be meant by white adjacency) and being productive. I've seen data that shows they outperform native-born Americans, at large. This is not unique at all to Asian Americans.

So these minority immigrants come to a system (which is generally described by SJW types as "by and for" white people, and thus inherently biased against non-white people), but the more these immigrants conform to said system, the more successful they are? And that's supposed to be evidence that the system is somehow racist or biased against minorities??? I don't understand that logic.

Give me an electric bike and a motor boat and I'll take any of you guys on in a triathlon.
Motorboat....

motorboating-gif-4.gif

Reactions: hog88 and VolStrom
I don't really want to walk through anymore of this. I think it's safe to say it's very difficult to identify anybody who is saying that Asians are not "'real' minorities or POC's". In all my searching and my asking, we found one school district categorizing results as non-POC.
Ok.

Do you personally believe Asian Americans, as a group, are viewed the same as black, latin, and native populations (in terms of being minority)?

So these minority immigrants come to a system (which is generally described by SJW types as "by and for" white people, and thus inherently biased against non-white people), but the more these immigrants conform to said system, the more successful they are? And that's supposed to be evidence that the system is somehow racist or biased against minorities??? I don't understand that logic.

Yep, because there is no logic to it. That very response of his accepts defeat because it proves the issue is not race but culture.

Ok.

Do you personally believe Asian Americans, as a group, are viewed the same as black, latin, and native populations (in terms of being minority)?

I don't even think latins and blacks are looked at the same, so I can't say yes to your question.

There's wanting the most competent staff possible for one thing.

Hiring over-qualified people is not a great strategy. I'll take someone who is competent enough and pleased to have the job over somebody who is much more competent but also more likely to leave soon or be a dissatisfied bad apple.

Also, we're just judging who people are on paper and in an interview. Anybody who makes a lot of hires knows there is a big element of luck, so introducing diversity measures to the process might not even be noticed in the results.

Hiring over-qualified people is not a great strategy. I'll take someone who is competent enough and pleased to have the job over somebody who is much more competent but also more likely to leave soon or be a dissatisfied bad apple.

Also, we're just judging who people are on paper and in an interview. Anybody who makes a lot of hires knows there is a big element of luck, so introducing diversity measures to the process might not even be noticed in the results.
If you think that hiring someone involves a big element of luck, you don't know crap about hiring people.

If you think that hiring someone involves a big element of luck, you don't know crap about hiring people.

Haha, sure, man.

Everywhere I've worked (and done hiring), they hired mostly people who were competent enough, and by that measure, it's not luck....but they hired pains in the ass. They hired people who hurt the culture. They hired people who didn't work hard. They hired people who were HR problems. They hired people who were gone in a year. Etc. I'm sure everybody you've hired was a Waylen Smithers, tho.

I think one of the areas where seeking out Diversity can actually help us in Product Development- you really do want all views and perspectives in the room to engineer the best products.

Most of the time it’s just window dressing though.

I think one of the areas where seeking out Diversity can actually help us in Product Development- you really do want all views and perspectives in the room to engineer the best products.

Most of the time it’s just window dressing though.

What was that streaming service that was only designed for phone consumption? They poured like $1b of funding into that thing and it was dead in weeks. A bunch of white-haired businessmen making crazy decisions based on the understanding that "young people love their phones"

There is such a thing as overly qualified, but that is easy to spot in most cases. What we are talking about can be summed up in this great example: Programmer A has been on the cutting edge of developing custom automated software systems for over 20 years working solo with great success. He is White. Programmer B has 4 years of experience in a team that modifies existing code from time to time, but generally works more closely with the startup process of the equipment. He is black. Why would I hire programmer B? I know from experience that I can likely get more out of programmer A in 6 months than I could get out of programmer B in 2 years.

Haha, sure, man.

Everywhere I've worked (and done hiring), they hired mostly people who were competent enough, and by that measure, it's not luck....but they hired pains in the ass. They hired people who hurt the culture. They hired people who didn't work hard. They hired people who were HR problems. They hired people who were gone in a year. Etc. I'm sure everybody you've hired was a Waylen Smithers, tho.
Every person that I've seen hired that was a bust was a diversity hire that checked the boxes. Everyone that was a success was interviewed and vetted by the people that know the job and know how to ferret out BS people that put crap on their resume. I've interviewed a lot of people that put things on their resume that when they get questioned about it stumble to give a coherent answer. It's not a crap shoot, it's asking the right questions.

VN Store

Back