Are we ever going to catch Georgia?

We can, it goes in cycles. We can definitely beat them head to head. A lot of it has to do w/ timing. For instance, what if we had last years roster this year? I’m fairly certain we could score on UGA. Georgia is a very good team, but I don’t think they’re the world beaters on defense that they have been w/ their 2 previous title teams.

Thread says it. Are we ever really going to catch them? I don’t think so. People can talk about the portal and NIL all you want. It’s not
Leveling anything. All it’s doing is making the rich richer. I mean how long has it been since we have owned UGA? Well let’s look at facts.

Since 2000, we are 6-18 against UGA. And let’s face facts. The UGA that Heupel is going against is VASTLY better than ANY UGA team Fulmer or anyone else faced. I mean Butch beat UGA in 2015 and 2016. I mean really? That was Riches last year and Kirby’s first ever with a true FR QB. In 2016 we needed a pure luck play to beat them.

We know UGA will recruit nothing less than top 3 from here on out. So how do we overcome that?
Yes.

Possible, yes. I don't think it will happen though. I don't think we will ever consistently get the dudes like ga/bama.

We need to get bigger in trenches, Georgias Oline looked like a NFL team compared to us I saw some fat bellies on our guys did not see that on Georgia’s. We might need a new S&C coach

I like where we’re at. If we can maintain at least 8 wins a year, being a Vol fan will continue to be fun.

The only way is through recruiting. Right now, we’re behind Florida, Georgia, and Bama in the 2024 recruiting rankings. We need multiple top 5 recruiting classes. 12th in the country ain’t gonna cut it.

Bama is only one that I can see that has a chance to beat them. If Georgia beats Bama in two weeks they will 3 peat and if that happens yea the leg humpers will be unbearable.
This. Georgia will stream roll everyone else and it won't be close. Michigan, Oregon, Washington, FL St, Ohio st. It doesn't matter. None of those have the complete team needed to even compete. Bama has the defense to pressure Beck and slow the run but Milroe will have to play flawless. Doable but its a tall mountain to climb.

That is what Georgia was always saying about Alabama. Football goes in cycles and Georgia is at the top now with Alabama a very close second. n The rest of us have to realize it took Georgia years to get past Alabama and it will take years for any other team to get to their level of talent. Even if one gets equal talent for 5-6 years, they then must also have the best coaches, starting with the head coach and then their assistants. It is a tough road to get to where everyone wants to be. Compare where we are now to where we were 4 years ago, the progress has been remarkable and it will continue to get better. Compare our talent with those ahead of us and anyone will realize you don't win championships with walk-ons and true Freshmen starting in critical positions. We will have to fine tune the program as we make progress and I expect that will happen.

We can, it goes in cycles. We can definitely beat them head to head. A lot of it has to do w/ timing. For instance, what if we had last years roster this year? I’m fairly certain we could score on UGA. Georgia is a very good team, but I don’t think they’re the world beaters on defense that they have been w/ their 2 previous title teams.
Agree. On the flip side though their offense is better. They could have scored 60 Saturday if they wanted to.

Agree. On the flip side though their offense is better. They could have scored 60 Saturday if they wanted to.
I think our offense would’ve made them react to us for once. It would’ve been a shootout, but it doesn’t matter, we are what we are.

That is what Georgia was always saying about Alabama. Football goes in cycles and Georgia is at the top now with Alabama a very close second. n The rest of us have to realize it took Georgia years to get past Alabama and it will take years for any other team to get to their level of talent. Even if one gets equal talent for 5-6 years, they then must also have the best coaches, starting with the head coach and then their assistants. It is a tough road to get to where everyone wants to be. Compare where we are now to where we were 4 years ago, the progress has been remarkable and it will continue to get better. Compare our talent with those ahead of us and anyone will realize you don't win championships with walk-ons and true Freshmen starting in critical positions. We will have to fine tune the program as we make progress and I expect that will happen.

True but Tennessee has been waiting since late 1990s for their turn. Basically 25 years. That is a 1/4 of a Century.

I will say this, Heupel has me more excited than any time in the past. I did get a little hyped about Butch Jones/Josh Dobbs 2-3 year run but not like Heupel. Dooley and Pruitt were disasters from day one. Never understood why we hired Dooley. Guy had 0 experience at high level and losing record at La Tech.

Reactions: Snapper58
Thread says it. Are we ever really going to catch them? I don’t think so. People can talk about the portal and NIL all you want. It’s not
Leveling anything. All it’s doing is making the rich richer. I mean how long has it been since we have owned UGA? Well let’s look at facts.

Since 2000, we are 6-18 against UGA. And let’s face facts. The UGA that Heupel is going against is VASTLY better than ANY UGA team Fulmer or anyone else faced. I mean Butch beat UGA in 2015 and 2016. I mean really? That was Riches last year and Kirby’s first ever with a true FR QB. In 2016 we needed a pure luck play to beat them.

We know UGA will recruit nothing less than top 3 from here on out. So how do we overcome that?

No, not with Kirby Smart still coaching. They have far superior instate talent and an easier path than Tennessee. I know the blue hairs will wet themselves hearing it, but playing Alabama every year is a detriment, not a benefit. If everyone in the East did every year then it would even out like it does in the West but they don’t and it’s a major road block. I can assure you if Georgia and Florida played them every year, they would have fewer SEC championships and playoff births

No, not with Kirby Smart still coaching. They have far superior instate talent and an easier path than Tennessee. I know the blue hairs will wet themselves hearing it, but playing Alabama every year is a detriment, not a benefit. If everyone in the East did every year then it would even out like it does in the West but they don’t and it’s a major road block. I can assure you if Georgia and Florida played them every year, they would have fewer SEC championships and playoff births

This entire paragraph changes next year and moving forward. We will be out of the SEC East and frankly won't have Georgia on our schedule 50% of the time while Georgia may have Alabama on their schedule as much as Tennessee now.

Also 12-team playoff helps us. We can go 10-2 and make it. For example, Missouri would likely make the playoffs this year with the 12-team model.

I like where we’re at. It’s fun. I’ll never forget celebrating the Bama win with my daughters. We wouldn’t have been that happy if we didn’t suck for so long. I’m sure Georgia fans enjoy being on top but they won’t be storming the field any time soon or crying tears of joy. As long as we maintain the current level of success and occasionally make a run at winning it all, I’m good.

True but Tennessee has been waiting since late 1990s for their turn. Basically 25 years. That is a 1/4 of a Century.

I will say this, Heupel has me more excited than any time in the past. I did get a little hyped about Butch Jones/Josh Dobbs 2-3 year run but not like Heupel. Dooley and Pruitt were disasters from day one. Never understood why we hired Dooley. Guy had 0 experience at high level and losing record at La Tech.
20 more years and we will have waited as long as Georgia did

Reactions: GroverCleveland
20 more years and we will have waited as long as Georgia did

Georgia won SEC Championships in those interims. Tennessee hasn't even won that. Georgia had pretty solid teams in 2002, 2005, 2007, 2017, etc. before the recent run. Tennessee hasn't had anything like that. You can see perhaps 2001 and 2022 were solid teams but Georgia was a far more competitive program.

Georgia was always just there but could not break through.

Reactions: Mtnvol80

Well, you are asking for a prophecy.

So the answer is probably... and probably sooner than Chik'n Lils like you think. Last year's UT team beats this year's UGA team. That's how close Heupel is WITHOUT a full roster or improved talent. And... he is improving the talent significantly both through HS recruiting and the portal. Yet UT isn't at a point of "plug and play". That will take a little more time.

These UGA teams have been among the best in CFB history. That doesn't last forever. Bama no longer looks as dominant as they once were and still have those "5* rosters". They're definitely at a peak. NO ONE stays there very long. Rosters change. Opponents figure things out. Key injuries happen. And no... Fulmer never faced anything like this much less the kind of parity that now exists in the SEC.

Jones was incompetent. That explains why those two amazing classes full of homers and legacies didn't launch UT into an UGA like era. It wasn't luck that beat them... it was incompetent coaching that necessitated "luck".

How UT overcomes it is... don't panic. Have a strategy (like developing Nico before playing him), creating a 2-3 year development system for OLs, have disciplined NIL, etc... and then work that plan. Then... recruit exactly like they're doing now. Consistently right around or in the "top 10" according to the recruiting sites is plenty good enough... if they can develop... if they can coach.

Case in point, Jeremiah Telander. He pulled UT's "ranking" down last year... lowly 3*. He had an amazing HS career and was dominant. Great athlete. Hits like a truck. Smart. Everything you need but no 4* rating. Guys like him who just happen to not draw the love of Smart or Saban are why you cannot trust the recruiting rankings to the degree that YOU do. He has played in every game. He has 24 tackles on the season which is 12th on the team... and he's improving. Twelve of his tackles have been recorded in the last 3 games.

You can go to war with guys like him. Add the ones that do get the fanfare like Carter... and you have a formula for building a championship roster.

A loss to Bama has literally never cost us a spot in the championship game. It's a verifiable fact.

Reactions: Mtnvol80
Georgia won SEC Championships in those interims. Tennessee hasn't even won that. Georgia had pretty solid teams in 2002, 2005, 2007, 2017, etc. before the recent run. Tennessee hasn't had anything like that. You can see perhaps 2001 and 2022 were solid teams but Georgia was a far more competitive program.

Georgia was always just there but could not break through.
we’re fine

A loss to Bama has literally never cost us a spot in the championship game. It's a verifiable fact.

Arguably it did in 2016... the team got very beatup that game and could not make it through the remainder of the schedule. The two SEC West games were both losses that year even though we beat Florida and Georgia.

We don't have to catch them necessarily. We just have to be a perennial playoff team.

The NIL money makes it easier to sit. Ewers sat happily at Ohio State while counting his money.

Arch is sitting at TX and, I think, getting more money than Ewers from NIL to sit while Ewers plays. 🤷‍♂️

Whoever that weird voiced singer was was right: Money changes everything.
If a player is willing to sit because of NIL, they are not much of a competitor.

VN Store

Back