Are we ever going to catch Georgia?

Arguably it did in 2016... the team got very beatup that game and could not make it through the remainder of the schedule. The two SEC West games were both losses that year even though we beat Florida and Georgia.
If we had beat Bama in 2016, we'd have still had 3 conference losses (instead of the 4 we actually had) whereas Florida only had 2, so it's a mathematical certainty that the loss to Bama in 2016 did not cost us the SEC East Championship that year (nor any other).

We're 5-19 against Florida this century and 6-18 against Georgia this century. That's why we have struggled to win the East.

Reactions: Mtnvol80
Yep you look at the guys that UGA takes now that are mid-3/low-4 stars at time of commitment that turn into stars once they leave college. Kirby’s found some secret sauce to identify kids with the requisite talent base that have the drive and determination to work hard and take the tough coaching.
There have also been more 3 stars win the Heisman than 4 and 5 stars combined.

Maybe been said because who has time to read all the thousands of responses to these topics. Anyway, unless we can recruit in the top five year and in your out, then no we will not catch them and only beat them occasionally.

PS- Interesting schedule the Ol' Dawgs have next fall.

They open with Clemson in ATL. Their SEC slate includes Bama, Texas, UF, Auburn, UT, Ole Miss, UK, and MSU. You could argue that they go from a lame schedule to a pretty tough one. Even with their depth of talent, they could be the team limping out of next season...

It’s all about the Jimmy’s and the Joe’s. Until we can have comparable players, we are what we will be.
Not all. Last year demonstrated what a good coach with good development could do even without a roster like UGA's or Bama's. But the Vols do need more talent and depth of talent. Some of the guys that UT was forced to play vs UGA were scout team level. The Vols are just out of guys.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
Thread says it. Are we ever really going to catch them? I don’t think so. People can talk about the portal and NIL all you want. It’s not
Leveling anything. All it’s doing is making the rich richer. I mean how long has it been since we have owned UGA? Well let’s look at facts.

Since 2000, we are 6-18 against UGA. And let’s face facts. The UGA that Heupel is going against is VASTLY better than ANY UGA team Fulmer or anyone else faced. I mean Butch beat UGA in 2015 and 2016. I mean really? That was Riches last year and Kirby’s first ever with a true FR QB. In 2016 we needed a pure luck play to beat them.

We know UGA will recruit nothing less than top 3 from here on out. So how do we overcome that?

Starts with recruiting. All these 3*, diamond in the rough, our coaches know more than we do type players is the problem.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain

They open with Clemson in ATL. Their SEC slate includes Bama, Texas, UF, Auburn, UT, Ole Miss, UK, and MSU. You could argue that they go from a lame schedule to a pretty tough one. Even with their depth of talent, they could be the team limping out of next season...
This year has been the easiest UGA schedule in five years. Last year, UGA opened with Oregon (finished ranked no. 15). The year before opened with Clemson (14). 2017 and 2019 were home/home with ND (11 and 12). UGA is consistently scheduling 10 P5 games with a top 20 P5 OOC game. This year, the SEC cancelled a home/home with OK because the return leg would have been an SEC league game.

Next year’s schedule is obscene.

Starts with recruiting. All these 3*, diamond in the rough, our coaches know more than we do type players is the problem.
I agree but here is the thing. Say we start signing too 5 classes. That would be awesome. The only problem is UGA is signing either the #1 or at worst #3 class. I don’t know if even recruiting can catch them.

Proof the SEC is still king. UGA has faced more top 25 teams than anyone else in the top 5. Just went thru 3 ranked opponents in a row and had OU scheduled which would have gave them 5 ranked teams on the year. OSU UM FSU all had easier schedules. UW/Oregon have had better schedules.

Reactions: Nooga
If a player is willing to sit because of NIL, they are not much of a competitor.
It's not about being "willing to sit" but it's about being ready and able to beat the guy in front of you.

Ewers sat at Ohio State because, even though he was highly rated, highly paid, and highly competitive...... he wasn't ready and able to be better than the guys ahead of him.

Arch is sitting for the same reason.

Nico is sitting for the same reason.

Just because someone is worth a big NIL deal doesn't mean they are automatically ready to start at the D1 level. Maybe they are, but obviously even the highest rated prospects weren't.

If we had beat Bama in 2016, we'd have still had 3 conference losses (instead of the 4 we actually had) whereas Florida only had 2, so it's a mathematical certainty that the loss to Bama in 2016 did not cost us the SEC East Championship that year (nor any other).

We're 5-19 against Florida this century and 6-18 against Georgia this century. That's why we have struggled to win the East.

We wouldn't have taken the hit on morale or injuries so my thought is had they not lost to Alabama, they would have beaten South Carolina and Vandy.

Yes, 1 miss at quarterback recruiting away and us 1 hit on quarterback recruiting away.

QB league…. Get a stud and the other guys get duds you jump to the front of the line.

It's not about being "willing to sit" but it's about being ready and able to beat the guy in front of you.

Ewers sat at Ohio State because, even though he was highly rated, highly paid, and highly competitive...... he wasn't ready and able to be better than the guys ahead of him.

Arch is sitting for the same reason.

Nico is sitting for the same reason.

Just because someone is worth a big NIL deal doesn't mean they are automatically ready to start at the D1 level. Maybe they are, but obviously even the highest rated prospects weren't.
Arch has Ewers in front of him. Nico has Milton. Not exactly the same lol. I've never thought Arch was anywhere close to as good as his rating tho. #1 QB in his class cause of name. I watched a lot of his high school games and nothing wowed me

Thread says it. Are we ever really going to catch them? I don’t think so. People can talk about the portal and NIL all you want. It’s not
Leveling anything. All it’s doing is making the rich richer. I mean how long has it been since we have owned UGA? Well let’s look at facts.

Since 2000, we are 6-18 against UGA. And let’s face facts. The UGA that Heupel is going against is VASTLY better than ANY UGA team Fulmer or anyone else faced. I mean Butch beat UGA in 2015 and 2016. I mean really? That was Riches last year and Kirby’s first ever with a true FR QB. In 2016 we needed a pure luck play to beat them.

We know UGA will recruit nothing less than top 3 from here on out. So how do we overcome that?
Yes I think we will catch them. Imo if we had last years offense along with defense this year, we would have beat them in Knoxville. If Nico is as good as advertised, next time we have them in Knoxville, we will win. I don't see us winning in Ga. next year.

Yes I think we will catch them. Imo if we had last years offense along with defense this year, we would have beat them in Knoxville. If Nico is as good as advertised, next time we have them in Knoxville, we will win. I don't see us winning in Ga. next year.
If Nico is as good as advertised, he won’t ever play UGA in Neyland. UT plays at UGA next year but doesn’t play UGA in 2025. UGA returns to Neyland in 2026. Nico would be in NFL?

Reactions: cgrish
Arch has Ewers in front of him. Nico has Milton. Not exactly the same lol. I've never thought Arch was anywhere close to as good as his rating tho. #1 QB in his class cause of name. I watched a lot of his high school games and nothing wowed me
You mean Ewers who Ohio State let go like Michigan let Milton go?

If Nico is as good as advertised, he won’t ever play UGA in Neyland. UT plays at UGA next year but doesn’t play UGA in 2025. UGA returns to Neyland in 2026. Nico would be in NFL?
How do you know that? Isn't the 2024 schedule a one off, and the format beyond that has not been determined yet?

True but Tennessee has been waiting since late 1990s for their turn. Basically 25 years. That is a 1/4 of a Century.

I will say this, Heupel has me more excited than any time in the past. I did get a little hyped about Butch Jones/Josh Dobbs 2-3 year run but not like Heupel. Dooley and Pruitt were disasters from day one. Never understood why we hired Dooley. Guy had 0 experience at high level and losing record at La Tech.
We finally have a coach, who I believe, will continue to recruit well and bui some quality depth. One has to realize that just 3 years ago, we were playing with over 30 vacant positions of our allowed 85. It is totally remarkable T how well we have played under those conditions.

Reactions: volbound1700
How do you know that? Isn't the 2024 schedule a one off, and the format beyond that has not been determined yet?
Whether they go to 1 permanent or 3 permanent, either way, UT/UGA will not be a yearly contest. If it stays 1 permanent, UT would draw Vanderbilt. UGA would draw Florida. If they go 3 (and they eventually go this route either way) UT would draw Vanderbilt, Alabama, and tbd. Most likely KY or SC but still unknown. UGA would draw UF AU and tbd.

I dislike the UT/UGA series will no longer be a yearly contest. But, I don’t like realignment at all. Tx and OU can stay where they are imo. Big part of CFB imo IS the traditions and the regional rivalries.

Whether they go to 1 permanent or 3 permanent, either way, UT/UGA will not be a yearly contest. If it stays 1 permanent, UT would draw Vanderbilt. UGA would draw Florida. If they go 3 (and they eventually go this route either way) UT would draw Vanderbilt, Alabama, and tbd. Most likely KY or SC but still unknown. UGA would draw UF AU and tbd.

I dislike the UT/UGA series will no longer be a yearly contest. But, I don’t like realignment at all. Tx and OU can stay where they are imo. Big part of CFB imo IS the traditions and the regional rivalries.
I get that, but I think the 2024 schedule is a one-off and UT-UGA is a contest on that schedule. My understanding is that whatever format is picked, whether it is is 1/7/7 or 3/6/6 the first year of that format is going to be 2025 at the earliest, and the second year will be 2026, and then it'll rotate so, right now we do not know for sure that we will not be playing in 2025 because, UGA could be a rotator under the first year of the new format.

To visualize, think of it like this:

2024- unique, one-off, one time schedule, not part of any format
2025- Schedule A of the new format
2026- Schedule B of the new format
2027- Schedule A
2028- Schedule B....etc.

We don't know right now whether UGA will be a rotator on Schedule A or Schedule B, because 2024 is not part of any format, it's a one-off.

These arguments are made about a new team every 5 years or so. How will anyone catch USC, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, etc

You think people would learn by now

Tennessee needs to take a baby steps approach and at least be competitive in a game against Georgia before they start to worry about actually catching them. The three games between Heupel and Smart have been bloodbaths. There’s a gulf in talent between the two programs right now.

He was behind CJ Stroud. He's starting in the NFL if you haven't heard of him. Drafted #2 overall
He was also behind McCord at Ohio State. He was QB3, at least.

Eli Manning sat 2 years at Ole Miss behind Romaro Miller. Eli must have been a bust, eh?

The truth is: sitting a year or two is often a good thing for a QB to learn the offense.

Those wanting to rush Nico or assume he sucks because he's not playing or assume Heupel is skipping him to be loyal to Joe or whatever reason........ are lousy coaches who probably couldn't get paid to coach middle school.

Reactions: Snapper58

VN Store

Back