Army to overhaul its fitness test for the first time since 1980

AshG

Easy target
The goal is to adapt the test to more closely match the type of strength and endurance needed in combat situations.

US Army Overhauls Physical Fitness Test for First Time Since 1980

Having consisted of two minutes of pushups, two minutes of situps, and a two mile run, the new test will include:
  • 3-rep max deadlift
  • Standing medicine ball throws
  • Hand release pushups
  • Sprint, drag, carry drill
  • Leg tucks or planks
  • 2-mile run

The goal is to adapt the test to more closely match the type of strength and endurance needed in combat situations.

US Army Overhauls Physical Fitness Test for First Time Since 1980

Having consisted of two minutes of pushups, two minutes of situps, and a two mile run, the new test will include:
  • 3-rep max deadlift
  • Standing medicine ball throws
  • Hand release pushups
  • Sprint, drag, carry drill
  • Leg tucks or planks
  • 2-mile run
Can't find it in the article, I wonder what the minimum weight requirement of the dl is required?

New workout routine to prepare for it
aerobics-80s.gif

New DI Simmons putting new recruits through their paces
4uM6gp.gif

I’m out now, but I did two practice tests with the suggested new standards and it’s way easier. The hand release push ups and sprint drag carry were the hardest, but basically anyone could pass with minimal training.

I’m out now, but I did two practice tests with the suggested new standards and it’s way easier. The hand release push ups and sprint drag carry were the hardest, but basically anyone could pass with minimal training.
shocking.

"If it can't meet your standards... lower the standards"

or....

"Where there's a will, there's a waiver"

shocking.

"If it can't meet your standards... lower the standards"

or....

"Where there's a will, there's a waiver"

Not suggesting the “old” test was hard in and of itself, but it’s a lot easier to half ass 6 events and pass than go full throttle for 3 events to max out

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Just adapting to society and not making it more challenging for their small pool to choose from. Kids today aren't the same as they were in the 1980's... too much coddling and screen time. This is the result of participation trophies society.

Reactions: whodeycin85
Just adapting to society and not making it more challenging for their small pool to choose from. Kids today aren't the same as they were in the 1980's... too much coddling and screen time. This is the result of participation trophies society.
Sounds like a bit of nostalgia or revisionist history. My kids aren't much different than I was at their age. We also got participation trophies before a certain age (early 80s)

VN Store

Back