Army to overhaul its fitness test for the first time since 1980

Sounds like a bit of nostalgia or revisionist history. My kids aren't much different than I was at their age. We also got participation trophies before a certain age (early 80s)
I don’t think they are much different than they were in the past….. Things I have noticed as a coach at several different levels and having kids that play sports…

* kids are more out of shape due to staying indoors much more.
* More parents like to coddle their kids and won’t allow them to fail….. there seems to be no in between… parents are either over the top aggressive or too soft toward their kids.
* several kids but not all are more whiney….I have witnessed kids crying, throwing fits….. one kid punched himself in the face over and over again bc he walked someone…. It definitely seems to have increased from when I was a kid.
* The good kids today are much better than in years past due to training opportunities…
* I don’t think the trophies they give young kids is an issue…. Funny story: my daughter played in a basketball tournament and didn’t play well at all….. Her team took second place…. The coach gave her a second place medal…. My daughter handed it back and said she didn’t want it bc she hadn’t earned it.

Reactions: tntar heel
That’s why you fake a profile and get a waiver to do the walk.
Oh hell…about a year before I retired I saw guys doing this. It seemed like I had a new waiver come across my desk about every 2 weeks..fortunately they started forcing people out..basically if you weren’t able deploy then it was time to go.

"The U.S. Military Academy no longer will use the motto "Duty, Honor, Country" as its mission statement, according to West Point's superintendent.

The phrase, which was highlighted in a famous speech by Gen. Douglas MacArthur in 1962, will be replaced by a line that includes the words, "Army Values."

Secretary of the Army Christine Wormuth and Army Chief of Staff Randy George both approved the change, which critics may see as West Point going woke
."

"The U.S. Military Academy no longer will use the motto "Duty, Honor, Country" as its mission statement, according to West Point's superintendent.

The phrase, which was highlighted in a famous speech by Gen. Douglas MacArthur in 1962, will be replaced by a line that includes the words, "Army Values."

Secretary of the Army Christine Wormuth and Army Chief of Staff Randy George both approved the change, which critics may see as West Point going woke
."

facepalm3.gif

The goal is to adapt the test to more closely match the type of strength and endurance needed in combat situations.

US Army Overhauls Physical Fitness Test for First Time Since 1980

Having consisted of two minutes of pushups, two minutes of situps, and a two mile run, the new test will include:
  • 3-rep max deadlift
  • Standing medicine ball throws
  • Hand release pushups
  • Sprint, drag, carry drill
  • Leg tucks or planks
  • 2-mile run
Come back Ash!!

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol

."

It doesnt really matter. Our military is a shell from what we used to be. West point grads will be fight their own citizens in another 10 years, all in the name of fighting extremists.

Reactions: Rasputin_Vol

."
So it is the unspoken meaning of the words 'Army Values' that the cadets will understand. Right.

Another step towards the decimation of the country. Maybe todays Army under this administration doesn't find it important to acknowledge that you are part of a team. "An Army of one"

The words are important.

****ing say them. "DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY"

So it is the unspoken meaning of the words 'Army Values' that the cadets will understand. Right.

Another step towards the decimation of the country. Maybe todays Army under this administration doesn't find it important to acknowledge that you are part of a team. "An Army of one"

The words are important.

Replace country with constitution. Without the constitution we don’t have a country

The words are important.

The Army barely lives the “Army Values” these days.

The words are important.

WTF does duty, honor and country mean? Just words... just like it is just a flag.

How about at a bare minimum, we defend The Constitution (specifically the Bill of Rights) from enemies foreign and domestic?

WTF am I missing here???

WTF does duty, honor and country mean? Just words... just like it is just a flag.

How about at a bare minimum, we defend The Constitution (specifically the Bill of Rights) from enemies foreign and domestic?

WTF am I missing here???

Duty and honor mean everything, without a sense of duty and honor you aren’t defending anything.

Yeah, it’s no surprise.
Hell I may not get it either I never served. But with my time in the periphery and as a military brat it’s all about self accountability and accountability to each other. Based on what soldiers will be asked to do they have to have unimpeachable trust and confidence in themselves and each other. That’s really it in a nutshell from my understanding.

And instead just deferring to vague “army values” would seem to dilute that message to me.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Hell I may not get it either I never served. But with my time in the periphery and as a military brat it’s all about self accountability and accountability to each other. Based on what soldiers will be asked to do they have to have unimpeachable trust and confidence in themselves and each other. That’s really it in a nutshell from my understanding.

And instead just deferring to vague “army values” would seem to dilute that message to me.

I don't recall ever learning what "Army Values" meant. Heck I don't even recall hearing the term, probably did but it just didn't register. I still remember the Ranger Creed, the paragraphs of an OP order, the mottos of the units I served in, the jump commands and other important stuff but couldn't tell you the 1st Army value.

I don't recall ever learning what "Army Values" meant. Heck I don't even recall hearing the term, probably did but it just didn't register. I still remember the Ranger Creed, the paragraphs of an OP order, the mottos of the units I served in, the jump commands and other important stuff but couldn't tell you the 1st Army value.
It just seems like a laughable ill conceived change. They are going from “we stand for THIS” statement to a “we stand for … whatever it says over there” statement. Just instills confidence in their leadership 🤷‍♂️

WTF am I missing here???
The constitution is just words. You can try to poorly minimize anything if you want. You're not good at trolling but you usually give better effort. Gonna need you to try again and put some effort into it this time. Thanks.

It just seems like a laughable ill conceived change. They are going from “we stand for THIS” statement to a “we stand for … whatever it says over there” statement. Just instills confidence in their leadership 🤷‍♂️

Our military has been infiltrated by pro-communist ideologues, all under the guise of white supremacy and dei

VN Store

Back