At what point do you expect the $8,000,000 man play up to his compensation level?

Let's not act like graduating from law school and passing the bar isn't pretty impressive. That being said, playing a sport at the next level is another couple of levels impressive. There are exponentially more attorneys than top level professional athletes
Exactly, and everyone doesn't pass the bar or CPA on the first try. Many do and many don't.

Between this and the thread suggesting a 'board of directors' including fans (!) to help coach the team, this board has officially jumped the shark.

It used to be fun coming on here and talking ball, but it has turned into a depressing mix of the angry and the absurd.
This ain't nothing yet. Go back to the last years of Fulmer and this place was a slaughterhouse.

I have worked the same job for 23 years. When I started there. I did not know how to do my job well and my supervisors were patient with me and they even paid my salary without griping. The same was probably true for most of us who are posting here. He is learning and some of the lessons are difficult.

Reactions: A.Vol70 and kcvols1
How about this kid is only 7 games into his career? Oline play has been less than decent. He is STILL learning in the toughest conference in the land. Cut him a little slack, Man.
Yep and no one forced UT to spend like a drunken sailor on an unproven HS kid. One of the biggest jokes running, IMO, are these so-called recruiting rankings. Really, what do guys like Brent Hubbs and the like really know about talent evaluations? Even college coaches sometimes get it wrong. No matter how many stars a kid has by his name, there's a huge learning curve to overcome when you enter this conference not to mention a strength and physical development hurdle. Even when you do get it right and start developing a kid, he will now be tempted by the portal in the chase for the almighty dollar. Hard to build depth and consistency when you build on shifting sand. I'm convinced this is why the service academies are doing so well. It also didn't go unnoticed by me that Clemson is doing well so far this year, too. Still wondering if Dabo might just not be right in his NIL approach.

Yep and no one forced UT to spend like a drunken sailor on an unproven HS kid. One of the biggest jokes running, IMO, are these so-called recruiting rankings. Really, what do guys like Brent Hubbs and the like really know about talent evaluations? Even college coaches sometimes get it wrong. No matter how many stars a kid has by his name, there's a huge learning curve to overcome when you enter this conference not to mention a strength and physical development hurdle. Even when you do get it right and start developing a kid, he will now be tempted by the portal in the chase for the almighty dollar. Hard to build depth and consistency when you build on shifting sand. I'm convinced this is why the service academies are doing so well. It also didn't go unnoticed by me that Clemson is doing well so far this year, too. Still wondering if Dabo might just not be right in his NIL approach.
And you sound like you think Nico is a bust

Clemson got roasted by UGA, and has played absolutely nobody with a pulse since.

The recruiting rankings are not perfect, far from it. Especially on qbs, but Nico has all the tools, and that is what the scouts saw. He will take his lumps, but by the time he is done here he will be one of the best we have had.

Stanford, Florida State, Wake Forest and NC State. Not sure I would make that Bold statement just yet about Dabo.

Reactions: Delmar
"Hes a kid."
"Hes a Redshirt Freshman."
"He's only played 7 games."

All of that is fine and good.however, the money drastically changes expectations. This is now a professional sport.
Considering that $8m is for 4 years of work, we are (checks notes) roughly 14-16% into this whole thing. Color me shocked if a kid might take more than 7 games and an offseason to develop

JMO, but Milroe wasn't anything to write home about as far as Bama fans were concerned. Once Saban and the OC started designing play calls to his strengths, his production and reliability as a QB took off. I still don't think Halzle and Heup are doing that for Nico yet. I like seeing Nico rolling out. He looks more comfortable doing that than standing in that pocket and it probably helps him see the field better. The $8M none of us have any control or say so over. That's the least of my worries. It's up to this staff to get Nico where he needs to be as fast as they can now. Better play calling for him will help facilitate that.

Look around college football. There are very few high level QB’s at the moment. Support the guys we got. And get ready to raise hell this Saturday. We made a difference at the end of the game

Reactions: whodeycin85
Bringing up the money is stupid. Would you be less upset if he were just on Scholarship? What about if he were a walk-on 5*?
That you can't grasp that QB, WR, and OL play are linked is wild. Look at how well he played in the first 3 games with no pressure on him every single play. Then look what happens when the OL can't pass protect but 1 out or 3 or 4 plays. More, he's had well over 100 yards passing taken back by offensive holding or man down field on the OL. How many drives have they killed with holding or false starts? I don't care who the QB is, you don't work out of 2nd and 15 or 3rd and 20 with much success.

But the ultimate point: What he's getting paid doesn't matter. Especially being that I'd venture 99 % of the people whining about it didn't drop a single red cent into the pot.

Reactions: A.Vol70
Did you want them to get a QB from the NFL. Now you're complaining about TN getting the pieces that CJH wants? Please make it stop.

Well it may be pro sports, but reality is that they are still not at a pro level. Hell most college qbs are not at a pro level after 4 years in College but now you expect them to look like a pro because they are getting compensated ? Correct me if I am wrong but 4th year QB's entering the NFL usually don't tear the club up. Sure you may see the talent they have and what they could be. It takes maturing and adjusting to the game in most cases. Some never catch on. But now we expect Nico to be experience and a pro cause he has NIL 18 months out of high school. They still need to develope and this line of thinking is crazy.

"Hes a kid."
"Hes a Redshirt Freshman."
"He's only played 7 games."

All of that is fine and good.however, the money drastically changes expectations. This is now a professional sport.
He's just not ready. You paid him $8 million, so I wouldn't think he'd transfer if you start your 5th year senior and let him cook a little longer. Maybe bring him along slowly over the course of the season vs continuing to stick him out there each week with him not being able to get the job done.

He's just not ready. You paid him $8 million, so I wouldn't think he'd transfer if you start your 5th year senior and let him cook a little longer. Maybe bring him along slowly over the course of the season vs continuing to stick him out there each week with him not being able to get the job done.
Seems to me, the job is getting done more often than not 6-1 as a starter. Gaston can not run this offense better than Nico. He does not have the arm talent and the SEC would eat him up. You people are freaking looney

You know some of our fans are irrational fools. What part of him being paid makes him a better player all of the sudden? The NIL deal he got was intentionally leaked to help the program recruit better; it also put a target on this kids back for the absolute dumbest portion of our fanbase.
This times 1000. You can see how paying Butch Jones 4 million a year didn't make him any smarter. Now that has just extended to the players.

The good news is, for the "true vol fans" they now have so much more to hate. Life's good.

Reactions: hjeagle1vol

VN Store

Back