Atlanta Braves Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upton also hasn't hit over .246 since 2008 and .246 was what he hit last year while at the same time posting a career low OBP of .298.

In the last five years:

Bourn OBP: .338
Upton OBP: .330

Bourn OPS: .704
Upton OPS: .746

Upton SLG%: .416
Bourn SLG%: .365

Upton gives you twenty homers. Bourn gets you 55 stolen bases. However, Upton also gets you 30 SB's and Bourn might get you 5. Plus, Upton's two years younger and their defense is the same and honestly, it was the right decision to go with Upton.

No B.J. leaves us with the possibility of no Justin. Gotta take the good with the bad and hope that B.J. can get it turned around.

I completely disagree. Zona was getting rid of Justin regardless and Justin wanted to be in Atlanta even before B.J. signed there.

The American League may have better lineups but they definitely do not have better pitching.

Also he's had exactly 1 season with an OBP of .330 or better since 2009.

I'm not basing that on anything at all other than that it sure seems like everyone, both pitchers and hitters, do a lot better when they move from the AL to the NL, and worse when they move the other way. It feels like I've seen it over and over. Keeping up with the AL decently went out the window with the kids so I don't really have any idea how the overall pitching actually compares anymore.

I wasn't thrilled with the BJ contract to begin with, because I've never thought he's that great a player, but the Braves let themselves get so organizationally thin at the position that they really had no choice but to overpay for somebody, anybody. Cf. Derek Lowe a few years ago.

In the last five years:

Upton gives you twenty homers. Bourn gets you 55 stolen bases. However, Upton also gets you 30 SB's and Bourn might get you 5. Plus, Upton's two years younger and their defense is the same and honestly, it was the right decision to go with Upton.

Plus Upton's power should increase as he moves into his 30s. Bourn's speed is going to decrease.

It's been five weeks. Of course he's gotten himself completely screwed up; he got off to a slow start while his little brother is showing him up by hitting like Mickey Mantle. So he presses, which makes it worse, etc etc etc. He isn't going to hit like this forever.

In the last five years:

I never commented that is was the wrong decision either way. Also, your third sentence is confusing based on the first 2.

Lastly, since when does OPS and SLG remotely matter when discussing potential leadoff hitters?

Last edited:
I never commented that is was the wrong decision either way. Also, your third sentence is confusing based on the first 2.

This makes no sense unless you think 55 stolen bases is as valuable as 20 homers. And surely even a Waiter Worshipper such as yourself doesn't believe that?

Lastly, since when does OPS and SLG remotely matter when discussing potential leadoff hitters?

That's the thing though. I don't think BJ Upton was ever really advertised as a leadoff hitter. That was supposed to be Andrelton Simmons' job.

This makes no sense unless you think 55 stolen bases is as valuable as 20 homers. And surely even a Waiter Worshipper such as yourself doesn't believe that?

Huh? He comments that Bourn will get you 55 SBs and then a sentence later says he might get you 5.

That is my confusion.

Huh? He comments that Bourn will get you 5 SBs and then a sentence later says he might get you 5.

That is my confusion.

I assume he meant that Bourn will get you five HRs, but left out the HR part. Ie, Upton can hit 20 HRs and steal 30 bases, while Bourn will steal 55 bases but only hit 5 HRs.

Also BJ is about 20 months younger than Bourn but his contract is 1 year longer so the difference between the 2 is about 8 months total or approximately 1 season in the long run.

I assume he meant that Bourn will get you five HRs, but left out the HR part. Ie, Upton can hit 20 HRs and steal 30 bases, while Bourn will steal 55 bases but only hit 5 HRs.

Ok. So you're saying that you'd absolutely rather have a leadoff hitter who can give you 20HRs and 30SBs over a leadoff hitter who can give you 5HRs and 55SBs?

I would tend to agree but I can see an argument for the latter...

I completely disagree. Zona was getting rid of Justin regardless and Justin wanted to be in Atlanta even before B.J. signed there.

Justin wanted to be in Atlanta based on what exactly? He wanted out of Arizona. They wanted rid of him. The chance to play with his brother put Atlanta over the top. Otherwise, it could have been totally different.

I swear every time we needed Bourn to steal a base he either didn't, or was thrown out.

And BJ has bad.... But Drew Stubbs sucks

Justin wanted to be in Atlanta based on what exactly? He wanted out of Arizona. They wanted rid of him. The chance to play with his brother put Atlanta over the top. Otherwise, it could have been totally different.

So you guys think Justin wore out his welcome in Arizona and turned off upper management and in return said upper management traded him to the exact city and team that he wanted?

Seems legit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back