Atlanta Braves Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. So you're saying that you'd absolutely rather have a leadoff hitter who can give you 20HRs and 30SBs over a leadoff hitter who can give you 5HRs and 55SBs?

I would tend to agree but I can see an argument for the latter...

I'd rather have BJ hitting 6th where he belongs.

Ok. So you're saying that you'd absolutely rather have a leadoff hitter who can give you 20HRs and 30SBs over a leadoff hitter who can give you 5HRs and 55SBs?

I would tend to agree but I can see an argument for the latter...

It's not really an apples to apples comparison, because BJ shouldn't be a leadoff hitter.

As far as what I want in a leadoff hitter -- all I want is OBP. I would rather have a slow guy with a .380 OBP than a base-stealer with a .330. Stolen bases are great, at least if a guy is successful at least 3/4 of the time, but a lot of managers' takeaway from Rickey Henderson is that a leadoff hitter has to be a guy who can run. Rickey Henderson was great because he had a career OBP of .400, not because he stole all those bases.

I swear every time we needed Bourn to steal a base he either didn't, or was thrown out.

And BJ has bad.... But Drew Stubbs sucks

Other than HRs their numbers are quite similar.

RBIs are moot because BJ spent most of the time batting 5th or 6th for Tampa Bay (although last year he did bat 2nd quite a bit) while Stubbs basically always batted leadoff and sometimes 2nd.

Last edited:
Justin wanted to be in Atlanta based on what exactly? He wanted out of Arizona. They wanted rid of him. The chance to play with his brother put Atlanta over the top. Otherwise, it could have been totally different.

I certainly never saw anything linking Justin to Atlanta until BJ had signed here.

It's not really an apples to apples comparison, because BJ shouldn't be a leadoff hitter.

As far as what I want in a leadoff hitter -- all I want is OBP. I would rather have a slow guy with a .380 OBP than a base-stealer with a .330. Stolen bases are great, at least if a guy is successful at least 3/4 of the time, but a lot of managers' takeaway from Rickey Henderson is that a leadoff hitter has to be a guy who can run. Rickey Henderson was great because he had a career OBP of .400, not because he stole all those bases.

Well in order to steal bases one has to actually get on base so great point.

So you guys think Justin wore out his welcome in Arizona and turned off upper management and in return said upper management traded him to the exact city and team that he wanted?

Seems legit.

Check your reading comprehension. IMO, he wanted to be in Atlanta AFTER they signed B.J. and it just so happened that Atlanta had the best package to offer of the still interested clubs. He could have been a National prior to B.J. signing and the Span trade.

May have already been posted because I know there's a Dodgers thread, I just don't ever look at it, so sorry if old news but I thought this was pretty damn cool.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WZUXTUrj4WM[/youtube]

Reactions: 2 people
Check your reading comprehension. IMO, he wanted to be in Atlanta AFTER they signed B.J. and it just so happened that Atlanta had the best package to offer of the still interested clubs. He could have been a National prior to B.J. signing and the Span trade.

I quoted you but if you look back you'll see your comment was in response to Z in which he claimed the Justin wanted to be in Atlanta before BJ was signed.

May have already been posted because I know there's a Dodgers thread, I just don't ever look at it, so sorry if old news but I thought this was pretty damn cool.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WZUXTUrj4WM[/youtube]

Extremely well done MK.

That was fantastic.

Thanks for posting.

628x471.jpg

Awesome

Did you watch him play any at Blackman?

Yep. He needs to work on his handle, but he's a great shooter and verrrry athletic.

If he wasn't on, Blackman struggled. That's what happened in the state tourney. He disappeared at times in the last 10 minutes or so and Brentwood came back in a hurry.

He's gonna get good minutes this season, so we will see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back