Atlanta Braves Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a long season. Heyward will contribute. BJ will contribute. Beachy is starting his rehab. Too early to hit the panic button.

I think they are a playoff team. Thats not hitting the panic button. I don't think they are going to be polishing a ring at season's end. Too many gaps. Look at San Fran, that is a complete team and they mopped the floors with us. That is where we need to be. I still think the team is talented. Minor is my boy, but he is our staff ace.. and that is not a good thing.

And I am with Weezy, I don't see BJ contributing consistently enough to be a difference maker.

Braves and Giants finished with the same record last year, though. 1 game different so far this year. They aren't too much different.

It's not panicking to say our starting pitching isn't good enough to win the division. If that's the case, I panicked well before opening day.

I do think the Giants are built better for a playoff run. I just think with a team full of contact hitters, they can rely on a few guys to get hot come playoff time and handle ace pitchers.

I just have no faith in the Braves being on a hot streak come the playoffs, and above average pitching runs through this lineup. And our staff is not exactly top heavy.

This is a good team, a team that could finish with the best record in the national league. I just don't think they are going to make it far in the postseason. They aren't built for it.

Come on now. Other than the fact that the Giants have won 2 of the last 3 World Series.

Crapshoot. They aren't very good. Last three champions: bobby doesn't pull Kimbrel and we just may eliminate the giants in NLDS. We don't collapse and the cardinals don't even get in. Giants down 0-2 to reds in NLDS.

It's not panicking to say our starting pitching isn't good enough to win the division. If that's the case, I panicked well before opening day.

Starting pitching wins come October. Therein lies our rub. Our bats are not consistent enough to compensate for it. Our record when we don't leave the yard is atrocious.

Braves and Giants finished with the same record last year, though. 1 game different so far this year. They aren't too much different.

Except that Posey is better than any position player on the Braves roster and Cain and Bumgarner are both better than any starter the Braves have. Other than that, they're totally equal.

Crapshoot. They aren't very good. Last three champions: bobby doesn't pull Kimbrel and we just may eliminate the giants in NLDS. We don't collapse and the cardinals don't even get in. Giants down 0-2 to reds in NLDS.

Thats all hypothetical. The fact is they have excellent starting postseason pitching not a bunch of guys that may or may not get hot and collectively hit 6 home runs a game and win in a barnburner.

I don't see BJ contributing. Really, I don't.

In over 4000 career plate appearances, he's had an OBP of .333 and averaged 20 HRs/162 games. He's never been great, but he's an established quality major league hitter, and he's only 28 years old. Unless there's an injury or something, guys like that rarely just wake up one day and never hit again. Six weeks is way too quick to give up on him.

I think I'm more concerned about our starting pitching than I am Heyward, BJ, and all the strikeouts. We need Beachy back (and in form) in a bad way. And maybe contributions from one of our minor-league'rs as well.

Except that Posey is better than any position player on the Braves roster and Cain and Bumgarner are both better than any starter the Braves have. Other than that, they're totally equal.

So other than them being literally totally equal last year in regular season record and the Braves run differential being far better, they're totally equal. ooooook.

In over 4000 career plate appearances, he's had an OBP of .333 and averaged 20 HRs/162 games. He's never been great, but he's an established quality major league hitter, and he's only 28 years old. Unless there's an injury or something, guys like that rarely just wake up one day and never hit again. Six weeks is way too quick to give up on him.

:lol:

How many other lifetime .251 hitters are considered quality?

Well the guy who's career numbers aren't anywhere near as respected BJ's (J Blaze) has made him look like a little leaguer. Can't always go by the numbers in any situation. Andy Jones was all world for years and dropped off the face of the earth when he hit his prime. I think BJ is going to be off and on, and mostly off this season. I think he will have a much better year next season after becoming more acclimated to a new league and new pitching. But I dont expect a whole lot this season.

So other than them being literally totally equal last year in regular season record and the Braves run differential being far better, they're totally equal. ooooook.

No impressed. Win games that matter and then come talk to me. My Reds are right there with the Braves by the way and so are the Nationals.

Thats all hypothetical. The fact is they have excellent starting postseason pitching not a bunch of guys that may or may not get hot and collectively hit 6 home runs a game and win in a barnburner.

Who on the staff is excellent? Barry zito hit the way back machine a decade or they get roasted last year. Cain is so underrated he's overrated. Vogelsong should go back across the ocean if he wants to get someone out. Wheels are coming off ole Tim's cart. Bumgarner is coming into his own. Bonafide ace for sure. But I'm not concerned about the giants. Never am, never will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back