Atlanta Braves Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
luck from small samples at that point.

sports.png

Marco scutaro gets hot.. David Freese goes on a tear.. Barry Zito goes from laughed at to unhittable.. Drew Storen cant get one strike.. Nelson Cruz forgets how to catch a fly ball.. David eckstein wins a WS MVP.. **** happens.

Who on the staff is excellent? Barry zito hit the way back machine a decade or they get roasted last year. Cain is so underrated he's overrated. Vogelsong should go back across the ocean if he wants to get someone out. Wheels are coming off ole Tim's cart. Bumgarner is coming into his own. Bonafide ace for sure. But I'm not concerned about the giants. Never am, never will be.

Matt Cain in 8 postseason starts has a 2.10 ERA.

Big Time Timmy in 7 postseason starts is 2.47

Mason Bumgarner who has Cy Young potential has actually been the worse of the 3 in postseason play.

Anyone of those guys outside of maybe Vogelsong can at any time go 8 shutout innings... cant say that about our rotation.

And for the record I think Matt Cain is excellent. 7 straight years of 200+ innings with a cumulative ERA of 3.18 is ridiculous.

**** happens is the best summation. and it's fun and exciting and awesome and memorable. doesn't make for the BEST measure of which team was thisssss much better.

Being world champs is awesome, but when you get down to "they were more manly / could handle the pressure / are better men because of it..."...... little tricky.

I mean, so what exactly do you guys want to do? No playoffs and best records from each league automatically go to the WS?

I guess then you could argue week to week "fluke" streaks that players put together...

For example, hypothetically, sure the Braves have the best record in the NL and are going to the WS series but come on, that streak Justin Upton went on in the first month of the season was on obvious fluke. The Braves just got lucky Upton carried them for 30 games.

Last edited:
In that case, we've never, ever been good. So what's your problem with this team?

I don't have a problem per se as much as I just don't see this team raising a banner. The starting pitching is not geared for a postseason run. You want Minor going 2times in a 7 game series? And we horribly rely on home runs to the point that it is unreasonably acceptable to believe that we have a chance to make a huge postseason splash, when the high majority of our runs come via circlebaggers. Also contrary to what that corncob Uggla says strikeouts are outs yes, but there is a such thing as a productive out. At some point this team is going to need to have quality sustained periods of fundamental small ball at the plate and I'm not seeing that as a possibilty when everyone swing like a damn windmill on a windy day.

Reactions: 1 person
Matt Cain in 8 postseason starts has a 2.10 ERA.

Big Time Timmy in 7 postseason starts is 2.47

Mason Bumgarner who has Cy Young potential has actually been the worse of the 3 in postseason play.

Anyone of those guys outside of maybe Vogelsong can at any time go 8 shutout innings... cant say that about our rotation.

And for the record I think Matt Cain is excellent. 7 straight years of 200+ innings with a cumulative ERA of 3.18 is ridiculous.

BJ Upton was the best baseball player on the planet in the 2008 playoffs. Can't wait until we get to the postseason.

**** happens is the best summation. and it's fun and exciting and awesome and memorable. doesn't make for the BEST measure of which team was thisssss much better.

Being world champs is awesome, but when you get down to "they were more manly / could handle the pressure / are better men because of it..."...... little tricky.

It was more figurative opposed to literal. I wasn't actually putting manhoods in the line of question.

It's a sport where good teams lose 40 percent of the time and terrible teams win 40 percent of the time. There's no way a seven game series between two good teams can be much more than a coin flip. People hate the idea that a lot of sports is just random action, though, so they build all these retroactive narratives to explain it all.

I mean, so what exactly do you guys want to do? No playoffs and best records from each league automatically go to the WS?

I guess then you could argue week to week "fluke" streaks that players put together...

For example, hypothetically, sure the Braves have the best record in the NL and are going to the WS series but come on, that streak Justin Upton went on in the first month of the season was on obvious fluke. The Braves just got lucky Upton carried them for 30 games.

We don't have the best record in the NL
Heyward was as cold as upton was hot
BJs struggles have been noted
Mac was out
Freeman was out
Beachy was out

Try harder.

Lots of baseball still to be played, but as a Braves fan, I'd feel immeasurably better about Atlanta's chances if they can win the division and avoid the play-in game.

Philly wasn't impressed.

5-20. 1 RBI. 0 XBH's.

Well damn. He was hot in the ALDS and ALCS and not in the WS. Hook, line, sinker. Arbitrary end points, flukes, and streaks. That's what the postseason is. The best team is shown over 162 games. The season can't just end though. There are very, bery few predicative indicators for postseason play, if any.

Come on TBrown, I thought you'd be proud of me for questioning our starting pitching and Minor being an ace. lol. Smh.

I've questioned our starting pitching since pre-Opening Day. Everyone else was fine with it. Haha I'm not awarding points for you questioning the SP now SMH

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back