Bernie Sanders Thread

It either shows he is very good at hiding his true net worth or not very bright. With his salary alone for the past 20+ years he should have accumulated more than $460k.
Maybe he spent a few million on hookers and blow, and pissed away the rest of it.

I don't see anything illegal. Sanders has been in DC for a long time, including the first two years of the Obama administration when democrats held absolute power. Why was nothing done about it then?

This is going to quickly go down the "immoral isn't illegal" foxhole. And this isn't a recent or even a uniquely American problem.

Also, a good number of those figures are from when Obama was in office so this isn't some hitjob against the Republicans.

Sanders looks to have almost equal disdain for most Democrats (warranted also) and he's only campaigning under a D ticket because, well, he wouldn't last a second as an R. At least he'll last a minute and get his message out as a D.

I guess All of the fraud and wasteful spending among the govt and lunaccoutae billions by the GAO is ok....

I don't see anything illegal. Sanders has been in DC for a long time, including the first two years of the Obama administration when democrats held absolute power. Why was nothing done about it then?

As agentlorange mentioned, legality =/= true justice.

For instance, slavery was legal in the South 150 years ago, but that doesn't mean it wasn't unjust and exploitative of people.

We are continually turning into a corporatist oligarchy. Of course those tax-dodging measures are legal. That doesn't mean they are fair or just.

Of those announced on the GOP side that title should go to Ted Cruz, IMO.

Maybe Ted is a nut job but I'd vote for him any day of the week & twice on Sunday before I'd vote for that lying witch Hillary crazy pant-suit wearing Clinton.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Maybe Ted is a nut job but I'd vote for him any day of the week & twice on Sunday before I'd vote for that lying witch Hillary crazy paint-suit wearing Clinton.

I wouldn't vote for either one.

With that said if it were Clinton vs Cruz in the general. We would have our first woman president winning by a landslide.

Reactions: 2 people

With that said if it were Clinton vs Cruz in the general. We would have our first woman president winning by a landslide.

Condie Rice needs to run for Prez so we could have our own first black lady for the Office as well.

As agentlorange mentioned, legality =/= true justice.

For instance, slavery was legal in the South 150 years ago, but that doesn't mean it wasn't unjust and exploitative of people.

We are continually turning into a corporatist oligarchy. Of course those tax-dodging measures are legal. That doesn't mean they are fair or just.

This analogy is making some huge leaps. Legal and fair are not the same; that is very true and we all need to keep that in mind. In fact, America fought and won the ability to be guided by one and not the other. We are a nation governed by laws. We are not a nation governed by fairness.

Furthermore, slavery was an act where one segment of people were denied their inalienable rights by another group of people. Legal in some states but completely incongruous with the Bill of Rights. Taking a tax deduction, tax credit, writing off capital losses and depreciating assets has no such incongruity with the BoR or The Constitution. Additionally, slavery prevented slaves from keeping the fruits of their toil. Tax deductions are the opposite. Tax code allows people to keep more of fruits of their own labor (money).

In summation, slavery was eliminated at the end of a cannon and bayonet. Tax law could be changed the same way if enough people are willing to die to change it. Or, it can be changed with electing new leaders who are sincere about changing it. So far, there have been no such candidates with the appeal to get elected or the balls to push for the changes once elected.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
This analogy is making some huge leaps. Legal and fair are not the same; that is very true and we all need to keep that in mind. In fact, America fought and won the ability to be guided by one and not the other. We are a nation governed by laws. We are not a nation governed by fairness.

Furthermore, slavery was an act where one segment of people were denied their inalienable rights by another group of people. Legal in some states but completely incongruous with the Bill of Rights. Taking a tax deduction, tax credit, writing off capital losses and depreciating assets has no such incongruity with the BoR or The Constitution. Additionally, slavery prevented slaves from keeping the fruits of their toil. Tax deductions are the opposite. Tax code allows people to keep more of fruits of their own labor (money).

In summation, slavery was eliminated at the end of a cannon and bayonet. Tax law could be changed the same way if enough people are willing to die to change it. Or, it can be changed with electing new leaders who are sincere about changing it. So far, there have been no such candidates with the appeal to get elected or the balls to push for the changes once elected.

Most of what you say I would agree with, I was merely arguing why legality does not equal justice.

However, I would argue that by dodging taxes, some people and compaines are robbing society of the responsibilities due to it. All wealth is interdependent upon other wealth. All income that is created is dependent upon the wealth of society. When some people and companies, who have enriched themselves on the wealth of society, refuse to return back a fair proportion back to society (as each individual SHOULD), then they are being unjust and depriving society of the funds necessary to better our communities as a whole.

Tax-dodging is obviously not as egregious as slave-holding, but both deprive society of the responsibilies due to it.

This is going to quickly go down the "immoral isn't illegal" foxhole. And this isn't a recent or even a uniquely American problem.

Also, a good number of those figures are from when Obama was in office so this isn't some hitjob against the Republicans.

Sanders looks to have almost equal disdain for most Democrats (warranted also) and he's only campaigning under a D ticket because, well, he wouldn't last a second as an R. At least he'll last a minute and get his message out as a D.

Sanders is running as a democrat because he is a democrat. He is a Senator with an (I) beside his name because in the last election the democrats wouldn't support him so he ran as an independent and won. He still caucuses with the democrats.

I really don't understand the disdain over Cruz. He has spent his entire public career fighting the federal lack of respect for the constitution, ran for national office vowing to support the constitution (rather than the 'good ole boy' club) and has done that.

Most of what you say I would agree with, I was merely arguing why legality does not equal justice.

However, I would argue that by dodging taxes, some people and compaines are robbing society of the responsibilities due to it. All wealth is interdependent upon other wealth. All income that is created is dependent upon the wealth of society. When some people and companies, who have enriched themselves on the wealth of society, refuse to return back a fair proportion back to society (as each individual SHOULD), then they are being unjust and depriving society of the funds necessary to better our communities as a whole.

Tax-dodging is obviously not as egregious as slave-holding, but both deprive society of the responsibilies due to it.

Words mean things. Your use of "dodge" carries a connotation of illegality. Is this what you intend?

Illegal tax evasion should be blasted by Sanders and others.

I was not discussing anything illegal in my post.

VN Store

Back