BIG Trouble with Academic Rate?

Multiple coaching changes = heavy attrition = big hit to the APR. Not surprising. The specific figure here is the only thing that's new.

Reactions: 1 person
At the same time, I expect Butch to over come this. It WILL take awhile to fix what Dooley left.

This could be bad.

Yes, it could be bad, but I doubt it'll affect us. I got a feeling Butch Jones would not let this happen and he was already prepped for the low scores before he was hired. Evaluating the recruits we obtain is also a key factor. Also, switching out coaches every few years has really hurt us. You get bonus points for players staying in the program, and get penalized for players transferring (and that are in bad academic standing, but I would suspect most players that transfer probably are).

Didn't vonn bell say tht CUM and/or CJF told him UT was about to be in trouble because of this?

We are fine this year, and as long as we improve only a few points we'll be fine next year. Everyone needs to take a chill pill. Article headline makes it sound worse then it really is (like we are awaiting NCAA sanctions).

Reactions: 2 people
Jones was briefed on the bleak APR outlook before he was hired, so the numbers are unlikely to be a shock for him. UT officials can also point to improved academic performance in the football program, including a 2.8 team GPA in the most recent semester. The team also showed improvement in Derek Dooley’s final year at the helm after a dismal fall semester GPA of 2.08 in 2011.

UT is basically paying the price for Kiffin's years and transfers. Things are on the upswing. The number will go up when one of Kiffin's years goes off the 4-year-roll and another year of improvement comes on.

For the record, CDD was improving things. Also of note to the record, that was one of the few good things CDD was doing while here.

Reactions: 3 people
The way they calculate APR is dumb to me. If a kid does not graduate from the university he negatively affects the APR even if he is a transfer or an early draft entrant. Bray, Hunter, CP and Sentimore all negatively affected this number, even without looking into actually what grades they had, just the fact they left.

Couldn't care less. Just stay eligible and play like a boss on Saturdays. If the players don't care enough about their education to do well academically, then so be it. They are adults. Like I said, just stay eligible.

Reactions: 4 people
the multi-year rates cover a four-year period from the 2008-2009 through 2011-2012 academic years.

New coaching staff has had one semester to start making this right. We scored a 924 and the threshold for being bowl eligible is 930. Dobbs alone will get is those 6 points.

The way they calculate APR is dumb to me. If a kid does not graduate from the university he negatively affects the APR even if he is a transfer or an early draft entrant. Bray, Hunter, CP and Sentimore all negatively affected this number, even without looking into actually what grades they had, just the fact they left.

Unless I'm missing something but the article says that if the player leaves school (transfers/NFL) in poor academic standing

VN Store

Back