Bill Self should...

Cherish your ability to use that line. It's got a shelf life of about 24 more hours.

I don't cherish it. In fact I don't care about Bill Self. I'm just pointing out the fact that you're slobbering over a coach that has his first real chance of winning a regional.

I don't cherish it. In fact I don't care about Bill Self. I'm just pointing out the fact that your slobbering over a coach that has his first real chance of winning a regional.
First "real' chance? Let's see, the game against North Carolina in the regional final when he was at Tulsa was tied with two minutes to go, Illinois lost to Arizona by about four, and Kansas went to overtime with Georgia Tech in the regional final in '04. Further, they were down 2 with four minutes to play against UCLA last year. Why, using the logic Fulmerites employed after the LSU game this year, he's been so close we should just go ahead and give him credit for having reached a Final Four. Given that he's been so close and all.

you can almost also say the same about Pearl.

Except that this was Pearl's first season with that expectation. That expectation has been on Kansas and Bill Self since the day he arrived. He has under achieved annually.

Except that this was Pearl's first season with that expectation. That expectation has been on Kansas and Bill Self since the day he arrived. He has under achieved annually.

you're really stretching there IE. Self is doing everything Roy Williams did at KU, and this year he has a real chance of doing what Roy never did (but should have about three tiems) there.

First "real' chance? Let's see, the game against North Carolina in the regional final when he was at Tulsa was tied with two minutes to go, Illinois lost to Arizona by about four, and Kansas went to overtime with Georgia Tech in the regional final in '04. Further, they were down 2 with four minutes to play against UCLA last year. Why, using the logic Fulmerites employed after the LSU game this year, he's been so close we should just go ahead and give him credit for having reached a Final Four. Given that he's been so close and all.

I didn't actually read your post since the fact is Self has never won a regional. Your post is to slobber over him and make excuses.

He hasn't gone a decade without winning a conference title.

you're really stretching there IE. Self is doing everything Roy Williams did at KU, and this year he has a real chance of doing what Roy never did (but should have about three tiems) there.

You're telling me the expectation at KU every season is not to get to the final four?

I didn't actually read your post since the fact is Self has never won a regional. Your post is to slobber over him and make excuses.
Call me when Self goes a decade without winning a conference title. When he does, you can start defending him, because that's the type of trash you seem to enjoy puffing up.

Enjoy pumping Self as the greatest coach ever. I'm off to the Sox-Mets game to wait out the rain.

UNC is the more elite program--and Roy wisely left Kansas and won the NC at UNC.

You're telling me the expectation at KU every season is not to get to the final four?

I'd say it's a goal, not an expectation. By your standards every coach in American history save Wooden have been miserable failures.

The fact of the matter is that a coach that hasn't gone to the final four in eight years at schools that expect him to cannot be held at the same standard as guys like Pitino, Roy Williams, Coach K, and Billy D. Self is a great coach, but until he proves otherwise, he's not an elite one.

The expectation certainly was not there the year they lost to Bucknell. Other than Wayne Simien, that team was devoid of any great talent.

The following season, not a Jayhawk fan in the country expected much from that incredibly young team.

The first real disappointment for Self, at KU, was last year.

The fact of the matter is that a coach that hasn't gone to the final four in eight years at schools that expect him to cannot be held at the same standard as guys like Pitino, Roy Williams, Coach K, and Billy D. Self is a great coach, but until he proves otherwise, he's not an elite one.
Illinois "expects" to go to Final Fours? If so, they're really idiots. How many have they been to in their history?

The expectation certainly was not there the year they lost to Bucknell. Other than Wayne Simien, that team was devoid of any great talent.

The following season, not a Jayhawk fan in the country expected much from that incredibly young team.

The first real disappointment for Self, at KU, was last year.
I'm not sure how reaching the Elite Eight and losing a de facto road game to UCLA in hard fought fashion qualifies as a disappointment.

VN Store

Back