Bill's (Experts Only) Baseball Discussion Thread

Or… that guy that snuck over here to actually get the last word uses @Behr as an alt. How wild would that be?
What if Rusty, @Behr , @Souce , and @95 Vol Alum are all the same person?

tenor.gif

I miss reading box scores in the paper. I’m a xennial/Oregon Trail generation kid, and I loved the newspaper even as a little kid. It’s not the same on the internet
Tl;dr warning

This entire concept cereally bugs me quite a bit: 6.1 = 6 1/3.

Actually, it bugs me a lot more than when someone who's never been taught to read a clock with hands thinks "a quarter till" means "25 till."

@Behr. Hope you're doing great my friend. You're missed, but if you're not ready or comfortable coming back, just do you buddy. Hope you're going on your walks jamming out to Cruise and whatever else crappy (in my opinion) you want to jam out on said walks. I can only imagine all the updates you think of your watch (unless you've upgraded again). Seriously, miss you around here. Your logic could really be used around here!

Tl;dr warning

This entire concept cereally bugs me quite a bit: 6.1 = 6 1/3.

Actually, it bugs me a lot more than when someone who's never been taught to read a clock with hands thinks "a quarter till" means "25 till."
the .1 bugs me too. Never heard someone thinking a quarter til meant 25 til.

Reactions: ArdentVol
the .1 bugs me too. Never heard someone thinking a quarter til meant 25 til.
Ngaft and tl;dr

I say "quarter till" and "quarter past" a lot in class to refer to when we will start something or how long we will work on something. I see the confusion quite a bit.

Part of me says "Wow these kids should be able to tell time." Then again, it's likely nobody has ever expected them to, unless their parents forced it.

Some of my favorite bonus questions to give them on tests would be something like "the little hand is between the 11 and the 12, and the big hand is on the 7. What time is it?" HAHAHA It blows their minds, but then a lot of the time they draw a clock face and at least think a little.

Ngaft and tl;dr

I say "quarter till" and "quarter past" a lot in class to refer to when we will start something or how long we will work on something. I see the confusion quite a bit.

Part of me says "Wow these kids should be able to tell time." Then again, it's likely nobody has ever expected them to, unless their parents forced it.

Some of my favorite bonus questions to give them on tests would be something like "the little hand is between the 11 and the 12, and the big hand is on the 7. What time is it?" HAHAHA It blows their minds, but then a lot of the time they draw a clock face and at least think a little.
tl;dr, ngaft

my sister was awful growing up at telling time. She'd say it's 45 til or it's 3 quarters past. it was hilarious.

in AIT (army initial job training), a buddy in my class liked fancy watches. He would get watches that had nothing but the dials on them (no numbers, etc). Our instructors figured out he couldn't tell time without the numbers so they'd give him a hard time. But my man got smart. Each time we went to a different block in a different classroom, he'd find the clock on the wall and sit so that he could see it's reflection in his watch when they asked him. I caught on pretty quick to what he was doing, but no one else did. I let him get by for like 4-5 blocks of instruction, but then ratted him out. It was pretty slick though.

@Behr. Hope you're doing great my friend. You're missed, but if you're not ready or comfortable coming back, just do you buddy. Hope you're going on your walks jamming out to Cruise and whatever else crappy (in my opinion) you want to jam out on said walks. I can only imagine all the updates you think of your watch (unless you've upgraded again). Seriously, miss you around here. Your logic could really be used around here!
Not comfortable coming back?? Did I miss something? Did Rusty touch @Behr inappropriately in his naughty places???

Reactions: 508mikey
@volfanbill

I was following the Boston v. Cincy baseball game on ESPN app. I get what "defensive indifference" is (after reading up on it a little). A Bosox runner got to second in the ninth in a 5-2 game.

Again, as a kid looking at an awfully lot of boxcores and listening to a lot of Marty and Joe, who would talk about how to score plays, I never heard of "defensive indifference."

Is that a late arrival like an "H" on a pitching line?

@volfanbill

I was following the Boston v. Cincy baseball game on ESPN app. I get what "defensive indifference" is (after reading up on it a little). A Bosox runner got to second in the ninth in a 5-2 game.

Again, as a kid looking at an awfully lot of boxcores and listening to a lot of Marty and Joe, who would talk about how to score plays, I never heard of "defensive indifference."

They quit awarding steals when the defense just concedes the base.

At least I think that’s what you mean.

@volfanbill

I think you’re asking if it’s always been a thing. And at least in the modern era, yes. It does seem as if it’s being called more often, even early in games. I don’t think it’s an actual stat, just a way to keep score and explain the lack of a stat (said stolen base)

Reactions: GordonC

VN Store

Back