Bishop should be #2 back

Not receiving developmental game reps behind the Big 3 last season with Small as the defacto power back is what you’re basing your declaration upon? I’ve already pumped up Lewis as our future alpha back next season after Sampson departs, but you’re parsing too much into who got into the game when and transposing over a whole season. Mike Matthews didn’t get a snap. You got Trey Weary solidly above him?
Bro, Matthews was held out due to injury. Otherwise he would have gotten snaps. It’s ok to respectfully disagree on Keith. We can revisit later in the year.

Not receiving developmental game reps behind the Big 3 last season with Small as the defacto power back is what you’re basing your declaration upon? I’ve already pumped up Lewis as our future alpha back next season after Sampson departs, but you’re parsing too much into who got into the game when and transposing over a whole season. Mike Matthews didn’t get a snap. You got Trey Weary solidly above him?
I just have to say, Butchna, and this is a neutral comment that leans closer to compliment than insult: there is no one on this board who enjoys arguing more than you do. When you get into a back and forth with someone, every post of yours just radiates glee, I can almost see you sitting at your keyboard chuckling to yourself. Never change.

I just have to say, Butchna, and this is a neutral comment that leans closer to compliment than insult: there is no one on this board who enjoys arguing more than you do. When you get into a back and forth with someone, every post of yours just radiates glee, I can almost see you sitting at your keyboard chuckling to yourself. Never change.
Pretty good guess. My wife always knows when I’m on the board. 😉

Bro, Matthews was held out due to injury. Otherwise he would have gotten snaps. It’s ok to respectfully disagree on Keith. We can revisit later in the year.
Only thing that matters is YESTERDAY and the self-contrived depth chart it presented! Lawd, dawg…don’t you stay updated on yourself? 😏

All serious. I’m good with our lil democracy experiment. We both submitted our cases and both minds remain equally unchanged.

I know, I know, it’s just Chatty. But with how Bishop and Keith played yesterday, how talented we know Seldon and Lewis are, not to mention that all four of those guys are, you know, the backups, it begs the question: how do you effectively rotate all of these dudes? All of them probably deserve touches, but there’s only so many minutes in a game. It’s the definition of a good problem to have.

It speaks volumes of how Heupel has been recruiting and developing that we could lose a multi-year starter in Small, an absolute monster in Wright (first SEC back drafted last year) and our running back room, while maybe not better per se, is unquestionably far deeper this year.

Yep. If Sampson goes pro, I think Lewis is the starter next season.
I kind of have a problem with that. I don't think he outplayed Seldon. Seems Seldon carried well. Definetly returned the ball well on the kickoff. Some people are sleeping on him. Anyway I think our RB room is solid. Keith looked pretty good as well

I kind of have a problem with that. I don't think he outplayed Seldon. Seems Seldon carried well. Definetly returned the ball well on the kickoff. Some people are sleeping on him. Anyway I think our RB room is solid. Keith looked pretty good as well
I didn’t say he outplayed Seldon. Because he didn’t.

Reactions: BigALWiLson
I’m not ready to define the depth chart yet based off a game against an FCS opponent. The one thing that was clear though is we are deeper at RB than I expected. Bishop flashed, Keith finally got some run in a game and looked good, and Seldon is still getting healthy and has arguably the highest ceiling of any RB except Sampson.

It’s a great problem to have if our OL stays healthy. We should be able to rotate some fresh legs. Sampson also looks a bit bigger this year. He’s starting to remind me a lot of Kamara with how he plays.

We have seen 1 game against UTC, CJH has seen all of fall camp. I think we should trust their decisions on depth charts
Actually no.
We saw him in spring of 2023 and 2024
And Heupel mentioned him specifically during the fall scrimmage.

Listen I like all of our backs, but every time we've seen Bishop, Keith, and Sheldon run in the same contest, Bishop has always looked better.

That catch he made where instinctively turned away from the defender for the 1st down.
VS
Seldon catching a shovel pass and having no awareness of the defense and literally spins into it for -2 loss and the drive ending as result.

This is isn't me showing favoritism. I'm saying right now we have two backs that are in flow with the offense. Maybe by Oklahoma we'll have 4??
But right now Bishop is #2 and it's actually obvious.

Actually no.
We saw him in spring of 2023 and 2024
And Heupel mentioned him specifically during the fall scrimmage.

Listen I like all of our backs, but every time we've seen Bishop, Keith, and Sheldon run in the same contest, Bishop has always looked better.

That catch he made where instinctively turned away from the defender for the 1st down.
VS
Seldon catching a shovel pass and having no awareness of the defense and literally spins into it for -2 loss and the drive ending as result.

This is isn't me showing favoritism. I'm saying right now we have two backs that are in flow with the offense. Maybe by Oklahoma we'll have 4??
But right now Bishop is #2 and it's actually obvious.
While I do not disagree about flow. Seldon needs reps. Maybe we see him be used more in a pass catching Flex roll with 6 or 7 carries a game. The shovel pass should be axed get these guys out of the backfired and make a Lb cover them.

While I do not disagree about flow. Seldon needs reps. Maybe we see him be used more in a pass catching Flex roll with 6 or 7 carries a game. The shovel pass should be axed get these guys out of the backfired and make a Lb cover them.
Shovel pass has worked as a changeup (in my memory) since John Elway’s days. Keeps linebackers honest and functions as a long handoff when defenses are scrambling towards coverage. Basically gets your best RUNNERS space. Not advocating a steady diet of it in a gameplan, but executed properly it enhances an offense.

Shovel pass has worked as a changeup (in my memory) since John Elway’s days. Keeps linebackers honest and functions as a long handoff when defenses are scrambling towards coverage. Basically gets your best RUNNERS space. Not advocating a steady diet of it in a gameplan, but executed properly it enhances an offense.
It didn't work with Cam. Worked with Sampson once. It could have just been execution. I still want to see Rbs on Lbers in space

It didn't work with Cam. Worked with Sampson once. It could have just been execution. I still want to see Rbs on Lbers in space
Which is the purpose of the shovel pass. Wasn’t a good option last season with Milton. Mebbe it will be so with Nico.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
I thought Keith was impressive. He doesn’t try to make guys miss. He runs right through them. Doesn’t mean he should be #2, but he showed he can carry guys for a few extra yards.

I thought Keith was impressive. He doesn’t try to make guys miss. He runs right through them. Doesn’t mean he should be #2, but he showed he can carry guys for a few extra yards.
Would love to see Keith come in as our “closer” when we have a decent lead late in games. Grind out some clock with the bruiser.

Seldon has a different level of burst and a couple of plays we almost got to see it… he will be explosive I think bishop has a more natural feel at rb that comes from getting over 500 carries and almost 10k rushing yards in high school… both will have really good years and careers at UT I think they compliment each other well. Heup is building a machine.

Seldon gave good effort yesterday.
He’s still learning RB and his progress has been slowed by injury time.

Peyton Lewis is a true freshman coming off injury.

Keith is getting better and better even though he’s the 5th back right now

It’s a good problem to have for sure

Looks like we have a nice stable. Behind Sampson it’s probably a committee of #2’s instead of one single guy. Let’s see how things shake out over the next two games instead of basing things entirely on a 60 point victory

All our backs have attributes that make them unique and interesting. Good problem to have!

VN Store

Back