Bobby Knight To Tennessee

One thing is for sure. If BK were our coach, we would get a lot more TV time and maybe I could actually watch some games. ;)

Originally posted by OldVol@Feb 22, 2005 1:11 PM
He's even had a run-in with someone since he's been at Tech, something about a salad-bar, does anyone remember?

My understanding was that one of the higher ups at TTU was at fault in the salad bar incident..... actually trying to provoke Knight.

I will not defend Knight's actions off the court and some of his more public actions during games but..... regarding some of the posts saying that Knight is not a good coach.... :censored:

Jerry Green is nowhere near Bobby Knight in attitude, yet that is the very reason that Green was pushed out at UT. Some people did not like Green's attitude. Yet all Green did was win 20+ game every season and get into the NCAA tournament every season. Tennessee sucked before Green and they suck after Green. Kinda makes it seem like they got what they deserved by firing Green.

Now, all Knight does is win too. Texas Tech before Knight.....
97-98 13-14
98-99 13-17
99-00 12-16
00-01 9-18

Texas Tech with Knight.....
01-02 23-9 NCAA 1st Rd
02-03 22-13 NIT Final 4
03-04 23-11 NCAA 2nd Rd
04-05 16-7

Nobody can say that Knight is not a great coach. Winning 20+ games per season at Texas Tech is for lack of a better word awesome. He's won every where he's been..... just like Jerry Green.

My opinion is that I would not mind a little attitude. Can't be much worse than Kevin O'Neill. And the positive is that the Vols would have one of the greatest coaches in college basketball history and would probably win 20+ games every season.

Tennessee basketball tradition deserves better than what is going on in Knoxville now. Most people do not realize, but the Vols WERE 2nd in the SEC in all-time wins AND all-time conference titles. The Vols have currently slid to 4th behind not only Kentucky, but also Arkansas and Alabama and are currently tied for 2nd with LSU with 8 SEC Titles. BTW, Kentucky has 42 titles. The Vols last title was in 2000 (Jerry Green) and then before that 1982 (Don DeVoe). The Vols WERE also 2nd in SEC Tournament wins. They are currently one game behind Alabama and are now in 3rd place with 53 all-time tournament wins. The Vols are also 3rd in tournament championships with 4. Alabama has 6, while Kentucky has 25. The Vols have probably more wins over Kentucky (62) than any other team... and until recently had a winning record versus Kentucky in Knoxville. It currently stands at 43-47, including this year's game.

Originally posted by orange+white=heaven+Feb 22, 2005 2:33 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (orange+white=heaven @ Feb 22, 2005 2:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-OldVol@Feb 22, 2005 1:11 PM
Down through the years he&#39;s been an embarrassment to himself, his family, and the game of basketball. He&#39;s even had a run-in with someone since he&#39;s been at Tech, something about a salad-bar, does anyone remember?

We should pass on Bobby. He&#39;s a great coach but a scandal waiting to happen.

I believe we tried a SOLDJIAH once, and Don Devoe went the way of the 8track tape. If we&#39;re gonna make a change, and I&#39;m not ready to show Buzz the door just yet, lets at least make an attempt at having the foresight and patience to find THE NEXT great coach. Not one of the former ones. [/quote]
?? :blink: :unsure:

Buzz Peterson couldn&#39;t hold Don DeVoe&#39;s jock strap. Don DeVoe, who in his 11 seasons as coach averaged 19 wins and 13 losses per season.... and took the Vols to 6 NCAA tournaments and 3 NIT tournaments. That would be 9 postseason tournaments out of 11 seasons. Buzz is working on 2 of 4 with ZERO NCAA appearances.

You know, Bob knight is only human. everyone makes mistakes. so he has a bad temper, at least he wins games. like lets look at this weeks ole miss game. buzz desinged a play that didnt work and ended up getting bradshaw the ball and we all know what happened. Now while we were losing bob Knight took kansas to 2 ot and had his team keep their demeantor and win the game. its just the reflection of our coaches.

Just musing a little bit, but if you look at the top winningest coaches in college basketball historically, is there one without baggage?

BK is not a has been. He is still producing. Allvol, as usual, has the stats to back an argument. I wouldn&#39;t say BK has flourished in the public eye, but his kids play for him. Right, wrong, or indifferent, he gets results. You can always induce a behavior and ambassador clause into his contract and force him to produce off the court, as well as on the court. I would welcome a slight trade off to see us excel in a sport we should have no trouble competing in.

hey if just think, if he came here we wouldn&#39;t see wild a&#036;&#036; threes flying every where. he we might even see some rebounding. And about recruits, would you rather come to a tennessee program with a losing coach name buzz, or one of the most winningest coaches ever. I&#39;ll take my chances with knight. He knows how to find talent in the smallest places. I heard of a story where he went to an AA game and saw a player there and signed him. Now he is tech&#39;s best player.

I agree 2345. Take a chance. What do we have to lose. BK produces. Bottom line. I would probably start watching games again. Don&#39;t get many UT BBall games down here in GA, but if someone like BK was coaching, I&#39;d get to see some.

We got on ESPN this year? I figured our top TV exposure would have been Jefferson Pilot Sports.

the kenucky and louisville game. Oh yeah and standford, north carolina, and texas.

Bobby Knight + South East = Scarry recruiting success that would rival or surpass Big Blue IMO. Kids would look at us from NY to Miami, wanting ro play for the SOLDJIAH&#33; They just want to win baby&#33; The SEC would become basketball ligitimite overnight and Mike Hamilton would become the DON of Athletic Directors in the SEC.

Originally posted by TBALLVOL@Feb 22, 2005 1:26 PM
Now that&#39;s what I&#39;m talking about OLDVOL&#33;&#33; Forget Bobby Knight, We should hire you&#33;

So, I take it all you&#39;re interested in is attitude, huh?

Well, I could bring that, but I wouldn&#39;t know a zone from a press from a double dribble.

Flipping a coin to choose 5 guys on our team, and giving them a ball, might just be an improvement on what&#39;s going on now though.

I&#39;m going to have to ask that you NOT enter my name in the mix for the job though, I am afraid my wife couldn&#39;t spare me. :D

OldVol you know what a double-dribble is. It&#39;s when you fall asleep during a Vol basketball game and drool out of both sides of your mouth&#33;

I&#39;m not good at photo editing, but you can see the orange beginning to look good on the Big Orange Knight&#33;&#33;

Attachments

• knight.jpg
    knight.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 1
Originally posted by TBALLVOL@Feb 22, 2005 3:52 PM
OldVol you know what a double-dribble is. It&#39;s when you fall asleep during a Vol basketball game and drool out of both sides of your mouth&#33;

Oh my, what a vivid, yet appropriate image of the state of VolRoundBall.

I remember the days when Ray Mears would time his entrance and slowly stalk past the student section in Nashville, just to annoy the Vandy fans. Who can forget the oranges tossed his way as he slyly grinned; all the way to the UT bank.

Give me unicycles and plaid blazers. Keep the Orange pull-over sweaters please. :D

I&#39;ve heard some stories about Ray Mears, and he is an interesting interview. Wish we had someone like that now.

Originally posted by GVF@Feb 22, 2005 4:15 PM
I&#39;m not good at photo editing

Nor am I. My picture looks like he is popping his head and hand out of a Big Orange. Isn&#39;t that the way life should be though?

Attachments

• bk.jpg
    bk.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 1
Originally posted by Orangewhiteblood+Feb 22, 2005 4:27 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Orangewhiteblood @ Feb 22, 2005 4:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-GVF@Feb 22, 2005 4:15 PM
I&#39;m not good at photo editing

Nor am I. My picture looks like he is popping his head and hand out of a Big Orange. Isn&#39;t that the way life should be though? [/quote]
I just offered a prayer that I never have to see this in real life.

I got one of those cold shudders when I saw this. I also got that, "I&#39;m about to be sick" feeling. You know, that feeling that something&#39;s about to surface that you don&#39;t want to. :bad:

I&#39;m a Bobboy Knight fan, and he would do well anywhere he went. Ohio State&#39;s biggeast mistake last year was not hiring him, he wanted to come back but OSU didnt extend an offer to him.

Originally posted by OldVol@Feb 22, 2005 4:35 PM
I got one of those cold shudders when I saw this. I also got that, "I&#39;m about to be sick" feeling. You know, that feeling that something&#39;s about to surface that you don&#39;t want to.

Don&#39;t worry OldVol, it&#39;s probably just heartburn&#33; ;)

I am glad some one is seeing my point about hiring Knight....I bet he would get the bigtime players to come to UT, He will fill that arena up and get his players to play hard on defense. I mean if you can win at Texas Tech you will be king if you had the resources we have at UT. I just hope they have the guts to pull it off and we start building up our program to be one of the top teams in the nation. The Vol nation would rule footb :pepper: :rocks: all men&#39;s and women&#39;s basketball and all will be fine in Big Orange Country

he is winning at texas freaking tech.

please god let us have,imo, the greatest college b-ball coach of all time.

didnt he have consecutive undefeated seasons in the 70s. what a coach.

our stupid, lazy, dumb, lazy, idiotic, self-centered, egocentric, cant spell team without an I players, need a guy like knight. he would light their asses on fire.

YES PLEASE LET US HAVE HIM.

start a petition now.

VN Store

Back