Border Rivalry

Neyland Law Vol

I have to admit I still don't think of Mizzu as an SEC East foe. Does VN also feel like this is an out of conference game?

It's hard to grasp that we are going to play this team every season going forward. These guys do border our state and we don't want them trying to get our Memphis recruits.

I grew up in East TN so it seems strange to me that Missouri actually borders TN.

ArkansasMissouri-sduk-1848.jpg

We need to win this game so we don't start a losing streak with these guys. Do you guys think this could become a rivalry similar to what we now have with USCe?

Reactions: 1 person
How do you feel about Virginia? It's about the same amount of border.

Tennessee's grand divisions are like that by and large:

East Tennessee- Myrtle Beach- Braves
Middle Tennessee- Gulf Shores- Reds/Braves/Cubs
West Tennessee- Biloxi- Cardinals

And Memphis is just barely in Tennessee. It's the biggest city in North Mississippi and East Arkansas.

Reactions: 4 people

And Memphis is just barely in Tennessee. It's the biggest city in North Mississippi and East Arkansas.

Virgina was in my back yard because I grew up in Kingsport! (and yes we vacationed in Myrtle Beach!).

It's just hard for me to wrap my head around Mizzu in the SEC and that we are now playing them every year.

Like you, I too grew up in East TN right on the Alabama line, in fact I can look out of my front door & see the AL State Sign....uck...anyways, it is hard to think of Missouri as being in the SEC...

Just hope that we beat them...GBO

Mizzou should be in the west. But who would you move to the east? Bama or Auburn makes the most sense but they wouldn't do it.

Like you, I too grew up in East TN right on the Alabama line, in fact I can look out of my front door & see the AL State Sign....uck...anyways, it is hard to think of Missouri as being in the SEC...

Just hope that we beat them...GBO

Agreed. Would not like to have a losing streak to Mizzu.

Is this TN's first trip to Columbia?

SEC will add two more teams to the East e.g. Duke, N.C., Va Tech, FSU, NC State, and Mizzou will kick back to the West, IMO.

That is a seriously old map. It doesn't have Chester County on it, which was formed in 1875.

Reactions: 7 people
I should clarify. Being in the SEC makes sense. Being in the SEC West doesn't. Auburn goes to the East (which makes more sense) and the SEC loses the TN/Bama game. Or you go North/South and really spread out the rivals. UK, MO, UT, USC, VU, AR and who? Ole Miss or Georgia?

My wife is a Kingsport girl and had to learn to love another beach when we married and moved to Nashville. :D

I lived there so I unfortunately have memories of their awesome winters..

Yeah I only thought of it because my friend is AF security forces and at one point was going to be stationed in North or South (can't remember which) to guard nuclear silos.

A coworker of mine goes to South Dakota to hunt pheasants; says the winters are hell.

Virgina was in my back yard because I grew up in Kingsport! (and yes we vacationed in Myrtle Beach!).

It's just hard for me to wrap my head around Mizzu in the SEC and that we are now playing them every year.

I was raised in Kingsport too,we use to go across the state line to buy boot leg beer late at night,the first little building on the left and get a 6 pack of tall PBRs :) I would love for UT to play Va

Mizzou should be in the west. But who would you move to the east? Bama or Auburn makes the most sense but they wouldn't do it.

The conference teams nixed that idea from the beginning

I should clarify. Being in the SEC makes sense. Being in the SEC West doesn't. Auburn goes to the East (which makes more sense) and the SEC loses the TN/Bama game. Or you go North/South and really spread out the rivals. UK, MO, UT, USC, VU, AR and who? Ole Miss or Georgia?

My wife is a Kingsport girl and had to learn to love another beach when we married and moved to Nashville. :D

Believe close to the same on this one.

Last edited:
I have to admit I still don't think of Mizzu as an SEC East foe. Does VN also feel like this is an out of conference game?

It's hard to grasp that we are going to play this team every season going forward. These guys do border our state and we don't want them trying to get our Memphis recruits.

We need to win this game so we don't start a losing streak with these guys. Do you guys think this could become a rivalry similar to what we now have with USCe?

Having lived in Missouri for more than two decades and being a UT alum, I for one am very happy to have MU in the SEC east. It means every other year I get to see my Vols play in person only two hours away. I still get to Knoxville once a year or so, but this is so convenient.

It's also really interesting to see the Mizzou folks making the adjustment to the SEC.

GBO!

I take offense to this. I live in west Tn and am a Braves fan. I think of the Cardinals almost in the same way as Bama. Bandwagoners everywhere here.

Reactions: 2 people
We really need to win this gm especially after losing to them last yr. We don't want them to start thinking this gm is a rilvarly. We need to make a statement tomorrow.

I grew up in the 865 and don't give two s**** about Mizzu. Not anywhere near a rivalry to me.

VN Store

Back