Boycott the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics

One truly galling aspect of this, is that Chinese state media publicized a purported e-mail from her in which she supposedly walked back the sexual assault accusations, while also adding that she was "resting at home and everything was fine." An assertion that her family is disputing. If Chinese state media releases a "suicide note" from her next week, that means she was given an acid bath.

We think we have dishonest and immoral government leaders in the United States... our guys are amateurs compared to the Chinese.

Yes and if you read that NYT article the IOC said the email was "encouraging". Cowards

I'm sure the 1980 boycott was the catalyst for the Soviet collapse.

Thank goodness we didn't boycott the 1936 Olympics... Jesse Owens wouldn't have been able to make his mark.

China truly is the Evil Empire. Boycotting the Olympics at their place won’t change that. Neither does a small manufacturer choosing to buy their 10 cent widget from them change things. That said, both should gtfo.

China truly is the Evil Empire. Boycotting the Olympics at their place won’t change that. Neither does a small manufacturer choosing to buy their 10 cent widget from them change things. That said, both should gtfo.
There is a good documentary on YouTube, about the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing. In order to be awarded the 2008 games, the IOC insisted that China release all remaining political prisoners from the Tien'enman Square uprising from June of 1989. China agreed to do it, but they had a problem... those people who were believed to still be in jail, had long since been executed. So the Chinese government staged elaborate "amnesty ceremonies" with look-a-likes... and paid large sum bribes to the families of the real former prisoners to secure their silence. The IOC bought it. There is no shame to those people.

Lol.

2024 Paris
2026 Milan
2028 Los Angeles
2030 Brisbane

Tell me how the olympic selection committee is telling people this is China's century? Next two are in Europe, one after that comes back to the good ole US of A, the furthest out is in Australia.

Winter Games in Australia?

Edit:

Should be the 2032 Summer Games in Brisbane.

Ummm, Team Biden is considering boycotting at least dignitaries.

Also, no one is trying to cancel the Olympics.

Huh?

Boycotting is the weapon of cancel culture. I mean, that's all they got. Boycott and talk about it on the internet and that's what some are doing here. I'm not against it or criticizing but this is what it is.

Do not watch and do not pay it no mind I wish every country in the world would stick it to China and throw the middle finger at them and not attend. I won’t watch one second of it. It’s time for the world to unite and come together and cut off China as if they don’t exist.
But Luther needs his figure skating!

Huh?

Boycotting is the weapon of cancel culture. I mean, that's all they got. Boycott and talk about it on the internet and that's what some are doing here. I'm not against it or criticizing but this is what it is.

cancelling is trying to get something stopped or someone fired/removed

boycotting is removing business from/deciding not to patronize - the hope may be to damage the entity or it may just be a sign of protest. but you can boycott without attempting to cancel.

The US boycotting the Olympics, even if a full boycott of participation is not the same as cancelling - eg. calling on the IOC to revoke the games from China would be cancelling.

Boycotting the Dave Chapelle special is not the same as trying to get it removed from Netflix.

Us not sending dignitaries is not trying to cancel the China Olympic games.

cancelling is trying to get something stopped or someone fired/removed

boycotting is removing business from/deciding not to patronize - the hope may be to damage the entity or it may just be a sign of protest. but you can boycott without attempting to cancel.

The US boycotting the Olympics, even if a full boycott of participation is not the same as cancelling - eg. calling on the IOC to revoke the games from China would be cancelling.

Boycotting the Dave Chapelle special is not the same as trying to get it removed from Netflix.

Us not sending dignitaries is not trying to cancel the China Olympic games.

You're really splitting hairs here with semantics. People have been talking about this for years, trying to get the venue changed. They have been trying to cancel the Beijing olympics. It's OK to be part of cancel culture, just pick the worthy battles. It's always been here on both sides of the aisle. It's just a market force at work.

Read OP's last sentence, for crying out loud.

You're really splitting hairs here with semantics. People have been talking about this for years, trying to get the venue changed. They have been trying to cancel the Beijing olympics. It's OK to be part of cancel culture, just pick the worthy battles. It's always been here on both sides of the aisle. It's just a market force at work.

Read OP's last sentence, for crying out loud.

I was referring to the US consideration of a diplomatic boycott. That is not an attempt to cancel China.

I disagree it's hair splitting. Boycotting is a pretty natural market reaction. Cancelling is a bit anti-market as it seeks to stop anyone from patronizing the target. The outcome of successful cancelling is to stop everyone from having the choice to boycott or not. I'd not consider that market forces.

For example, if I had a sports bar and was pissed at the NFL or NBA or whatever I could boycott the broadcasts and cancel my subscription. That is not an attempt cancel the leagues or the broadcasters which would result in limited choices for others. If instead I demanded the cable company stop carrying said offending league then I am attempting to cancel and this will affect the market choices of others if I am successful.

I see them as philosophically distinct

When you boycott something are you trying to achieve a result where everyone has to live with what you accomplished.

Reactions: StarRaider
I was referring to the US consideration of a diplomatic boycott. That is not an attempt to cancel China.

I disagree it's hair splitting. Boycotting is a pretty natural market reaction. Cancelling is a bit anti-market as it seeks to stop anyone from patronizing the target. The goal of cancelling is to stop everyone from having the choice to boycott or not.

For example, if I had a sports bar and was pissed at the NFL or NBA or whatever I could boycott the broadcasts and cancel my subscription. That is not an attempt cancel the leagues or the broadcasters which would result in limited choices for others. If instead I demanded the cable company stop carrying said offending league then I am attempting to cancel and this will affect the market choices of others.

I see them as philosophically distinct

Boycotting is a tactic. Cancelation is an end. You can say your aim isn't to cancel, but that is the result of a successful boycott.

And I disagree that cancelation is anti-market. It is a market force. Market forces can restrict choices. It doesn't always mean more choices.

Last edited:
Boycotting is a tactic. Cancelation is an end. You can say your aim isn't to cancel, but that is the result of a successful boycott.

not always. cancelation doesn't require boycotting and successful boycotting (whatever successful means here) doesn't always result in cancelation.

If the US goes through with a diplomatic boycott: 1) will that result in cancelation of China's Olympics and if no, 2) does that mean it wasn't a successful cancelation?

Reactions: StarRaider
not always. cancelation doesn't require boycotting and successful boycotting (whatever successful means here) doesn't always result in cancelation.

If the US goes through with a diplomatic boycott: 1) will that result in cancelation of China's Olympics and if no, 2) does that mean it wasn't a successful cancelation?

I think we're getting too deep in the weeds and IDK that answering this will get us anywhere.

You are right that not all boycotts are attempts at cancelation, but the vibe ITT is cancel culture. I wanted Beijing canceled (too late for that). I want the IOC to change their behavior and avoid this BS in the future.

Maybe this will help. Cancel culture and call out culture are used interchangeably...that's how I use it and see it used, anyway. It's a boycott or shunning with a public call out.

Screenshot_20211119-190646_Chrome.jpg

And I disagree that cancelation is anti-market. It is a market force. Market forces can restrict choices. It doesn't always mean more choices.

per your edit - I did say "a bit" anti-market from the perspective that one free market actor is attempting to restrict the choices of all other free market actors. That's hardly the ethos of let people contract freely as they see fit. So yes market forces can restrict choices but the mentality seems to me to run counter to free market ethos

I think we're getting too deep in the weeds and IDK that answering this will get us anywhere.

You are right that not all boycotts are attempts at cancelation, but the vibe ITT is cancel culture. I wanted Beijing canceled (too late for that). I want the IOC to change their behavior and avoid this BS in the future.

Maybe this will help. Cancel culture and call out culture are used interchangeably...that's how I use it and see it used, anyway. It's a boycott or shunning with a public call out.

View attachment 413106

I'm not trying to convince you. You called out my comments and I'm explaining why I see them as separate but related concepts. What you posted here illustrates the difference. When I briefly boycotting Google due their cancelling of some dude that was one of the keys behind Mozilla I wasn't trying ostracize, shun or cancel them. I simply didn't want to use a product that I found otherwise quite satisfactory because I disagreed with their actions. I boycotted them.

my comments in the post above should explain more of where I see the differences. buy them or disagree with them I'm just answering your questions

WOULD love to see some American win the gold medal and then pull out a Tibetan flag during the medal ceremony 😂
(Interesting fact, Apple iPhone doesn’t have an emoji for Tibetan flag, at the request of China I am sure)

I'm not trying to convince you. You called out my comments and I'm explaining why I see them as separate but related concepts. What you posted here illustrates the difference. When I briefly boycotting Google due their cancelling of some dude that was one of the keys behind Mozilla I wasn't trying ostracize, shun or cancel them. I simply didn't want to use a product that I found otherwise quite satisfactory because I disagreed with their actions. I boycotted them.

my comments in the post above should explain more of where I see the differences. buy them or disagree with them I'm just answering your questions

You always seem to be such a level headed laid back dude.

I hate you.

😂

VN Store

Back