Burns re-considering? From Tony Basilio

College baseball is better with NIL and the portal imo. No more stashing talent and unfair financial aid advantages for programs like Vandy and Stanford. If you build an attractive program, there is little to no downturn when your standouts move on to the next level.

It was obvious and the slot changed all the time and every game. He was not close to last year pitching. Velocity yes but he did not have an out pitch like last year. He had a few good starts at the end but to be honest kind of disappointed in his performance overall. Do not about the outside the lines stuff but his motion changed and for the worse.
Anybody here know who changed his slot and why? I read somewhere else that a draft analyst said someone messed with his mechanics for the worse. Question is, why and can he change them back?

Speaking as a C-suite executive now vs. an ex-college and pro baseball player.....

If I'm UT coaching staff I let C. Burns and his camp know that he has until "X" date to let me know if he is staying a Vol or not. And for me, that day would be 5pm tomorrow. Why? Operational control. We run this outfit. Nobody else. Make sure that camp knows who ACTUALLY runs things around here. Just good old tough love. JMO

Anybody here know who changed his slot and why? I read somewhere else that a draft analyst said someone messed with his mechanics for the worse. Question is, why and can he change them back?

Typically, people will “coach” pitchers to drop their arm slot a couple inches trying to pick up another couple mph on the FB. Unfortunately it does reduce the “bite” on the slider, can impact ability to locate and doesn’t always result in increased MPH. Doll would have been best served developing a change up or another 3rd pitch.

I saw a SEC school, not Tennessee, ruin a JC all American’s nasty slider trying to get his FB above 95. Everything he threw in JC was at the knees but in SEC he was waist/thigh high & got hit. His dad told me what they did and it ruined his potential career.

I am sure they can and I would like to know where/who initiated after dominating last year. Granted pitchers do have off yrs. but he was not anything like last year. Walks, behind in the count alot and then groove a flat 96 mph fastball. He had mo out pitch this year. Slider no bite, curve not enough and no strikes with it and the change up was okay at times but not consistent enough to use when behind the count. Plus a lot more home runs and walks. Two things that are disasters to pitch well. Plus it was all year from first game to the last. Sometimes worse than others but it was there.

I am sure they can and I would like to know where/who initiated after dominating last year. Granted pitchers do have off yrs. but he was not anything like last year. Walks, behind in the count alot and then groove a flat 96 mph fastball. He had mo out pitch this year. Slider no bite, curve not enough and no strikes with it and the change up was okay at times but not consistent enough to use when behind the count. Plus a lot more home runs and walks. Two things that are disasters to pitch well. Plus it was all year from first game to the last. Sometimes worse than others but it was there.
Heflin said Anderson gives the pitchers freedom to tinker with things, but generally he does not try to change things if a kid is having success, so I am guessing it was not him, but I could be wrong.

Speaking as a C-suite executive now vs. an ex-college and pro baseball player.....

If I'm UT coaching staff I let C. Burns and his camp know that he has until "X" date to let me know if he is staying a Vol or not. And for me, that day would be 5pm tomorrow. Why? Operational control. We run this outfit. Nobody else. Make sure that camp knows who ACTUALLY runs things around here. Just good old tough love. JMO

I agree. As the CEO of a Fortune 500 Company myself, I didn’t get to where I was by letting people dictate terms. We need to put our foot down and tell Burns it’s our way or the highway.

I like your perspective, and you’ve walked the walk.

It's possible he made those changes himself. 🤷

Honestly, I suspect UT and Tony V gave it their best effort to keep him and when it didn't come to fruition, they moved on. I don't see them continuing to pursue him. If it happens, he'll have to make the effort. I'm ready to bring on Holman.

#humblebrag

I never discount the power of hot air as I’ve seen it both dry clothes and lift a balloon.

VN Store

Back