Butch Jones Monday Press Conference -9/16 ("FreakNotes")

-Losing will never ever be tolerated or accepted at Tennessee. Winning is a habit and losing is a habit.
-It starts with preparing our football team and that starts with me.

Polar opposite to the previous staff, which makes me optimistic.

Reactions: 2 people
The odds of getting a yard on 4th and 1 are pretty good--that's why you'd go for it. Of course, Jones's Fulmer-like mistake on that Oregon penalty gave Oregon a chance to score a TD on 4th and 5--and they did (called back). Spurrier used to go for it a LOT on fourth down--and he scared the bejesus out of the conservative Fulmer in doing so. Fourth and 10 was nothing for Spurrier if the gators were anywhere outside of their 40 yard line.

Basically, we might score three points in this game if we get a TO deep in their territory. There is no way we're going to run it, no matter who the backs are. A stout defense that is looking for the run? No chance, amigo. We will have to unveil our super-secret passing game, with extra sauce! It's going to be another ugly game.

Reactions: 1 person
"we need to recruit speed"

^ Yes!!

some issues can only be solved in recruiting and this is our main issue.

Oregon doesn't just recruit speed. They teach speed.

There was a very interesting article on ESPN.com about Oregon's "Speed School". Every new player goes through it and learns proper technique from a track guru. Given their success, I'd bet we'll see this concept spread.

-We are not a very mentally tough football team.
Nor can we expected to be. This team is chock full of players in positions of leadership who have consistently had their azzes handed to them.

They know they are sub-talented, they look for Daddy's leather belt, they know that no matter how much hype, offseason training, and exertion they are going to show up small.

As this season grinds on, Butch will be faced with senior and junior players who will be laying down. Good. Shove in the youngsters, set the precedent like a man, Butch, take your losses and lumps, just like Johnny Majors did in his first year.

"Follow Me to Tennessee" was Johnny's fav chant on his coach's show.

Or better said "If you are an upperclassman and aren't contributing a WHOLE LOT on the field, grab some pine." :good!:

He is our best option for this offense speed wise. However all three other Freshman can run better than Worley. Only bad thing about a switch this week is having to play in the Swamp But better now than never.

His 40 is only 4.7 ish. I found one site that had Ferguson listed at 4.6. So Dobbs may not be as athletic as we think. I go with with who can move the offense.

Reactions: 1 person
His 40 is only 4.7 ish. I found one site that had Ferguson listed at 4.6.
What a bunch of baloney timing is. On what track? whose equipment? Wind conditions? Etc yada blah

Baloney. One tenth of a second. Try snapping your fingers that fast.

Thanks for the notes Freak

Will be interesting to see the Mental State of the team Sateday going into the Swamp where Florida will definetly be looking to make a statement

exactly down and distance has no effect on oregon. it doesnt matter where they were on the field. totally agree with you.

Spot on. This is why a lot of people that "understand football" are getting their azzes handed to them by the ducks. Their offensive philosophy looks like a 12 year old playing Madden. The down and distance has little impact on the play call. Example: Before the game got completely out of hand, we declined a penalty that made it 4th down deep in our end of the field. 4th down, bring in the Oregon field goal unit, right? Wrong, they line up the offense and score a touchdown. Conventional football wisdom would tell you that Oregon should kick here. By doing this kind of stuff, they keep you on your heels and overwhelm you. They get away with it because they do all this crap really fast.

Thanks for the notes Freak

Will be interesting to see the Mental State of the team Sateday going into the Swamp where Florida will definetly be looking to make a statement

Florida will be lackadaisical and expecting an easy W, they wont be looking to make a statement, they will be looking for a break...if they are prepared mentally, our boys will be angry and play with a chip on their shoulder, and might just get it done.

Anything less and I'll be disappointed.

I think Dooley would have won the Oregon game....Fact

Thanks Barb.

Dooley had a shot at Oregon in 2010, and he didn't get it done....Fact.

Now can we move on to the staff that's currently under contract for their coaching services?

Spot on. This is why a lot of people that "understand football" are getting their azzes handed to them by the ducks. Their offensive philosophy looks like a 12 year old playing Madden. The down and distance has little impact on the play call. Example: Before the game got completely out of hand, we declined a penalty that made it 4th down deep in our end of the field. 4th down, bring in the Oregon field goal unit, right? Wrong, they line up the offense and score a touchdown. Conventional football wisdom would tell you that Oregon should kick here. By doing this kind of stuff, they keep you on your heels and overwhelm you. They get away with it because they do all this crap really fast.

Couldnt agree more. Everyone expects logic and sense, but Oregon plays balls out, piss to the wind crazy...They play ball like its 2021 and everyone else is Fulmer trying to catch up...

Florida will be lackadaisical and expecting an easy W, they wont be looking to make a statement, they will be looking for a break...if they are prepared mentally, our boys will be angry and play with a chip on their shoulder, and might just get it done.

Lordy, are you serious? We may win because Florida isn't going to be ready for their opening SEC game on their own home turf?

On national TV?

Oh, I see what you've done now. A funny, my bad.

:crazy: :lolabove:

Lordy, are you serious? We may win because Florida isn't going to be ready for their opening SEC game on their own home turf?

On national TV?

Oh, I see what you've done now. A funny, my bad.

:crazy: :lolabove:

Im dead serious.

I didnt say they wouldnt be ready, I just said its already being written now about how they are already considering this game an "afterthought". (According to the article)

Can you honestly say we have never had a game where an opponent was already an "afterthought" for us and we got busted in the mouth?

His 40 is only 4.7 ish. I found one site that had Ferguson listed at 4.6. So Dobbs may not be as athletic as we think. I go with with who can move the offense.

All these guys quoting 40 yard dash time like that's all that matters in running the ball

Acceleration is important, agility is important, vision is important, the fastest guy may not be the best runner.

and the fastest guy may not be the most athletic, especially when one guy is only a 1/10 of a second slower or faster.

what if the slower guy is great a juking, is faster in the first 10 yards but doesnt sustain as well and has better vision when running on where to go?

VN Store

Back