Caitlin Clark

It's always the people who haven't watched a single second of a game with these doomsday predictions about how the entire league will collapse based on an Olympic team choice, and I'm willing to bet this time is no different
What in the hell are you talking about?

Reactions: StarRaider
How in the hell is brand switching weird? Happens all the time and sometimes when someone either has a huge marketing success or failure.

Look, I'm not going to argue about it. If you think leaving the most popular female basketball player on planet Earth is a good idea, you do you. I just asked a question and you obviously do not see a problem with it.

Note to self: Never hire n_huffhines as a marketing director.

Brand switching because the brand sent a trans person a custom can is pretty fkn wild.

Not surprised you can't answer the question with anything specific.

I work in marketing. I've overseen my company's flagship e-commerce website the last 12 years, taking it from $4m to $20m in annual sales.

Reactions: NashVol11
Your first bullet I think is a big reason he clearly had the better team in the 6 Finals he won. People are so quick to say "MJ is the best because he went 6-0 in the Finals, and LeBron has a losing Finals record." That is such a dumb statement for multiple reasons (another being all that means is that MJ lost earlier), but the biggest being that the league was watered down. That's pretty wild that the league expanded by 6 teams during his career. I didn't realize it was that many.

That isn't to say none of the teams he faced weren't good teams that had some great players, but most of those rosters he faced were as shallow as a kiddie pool.

Most of the elite in MJ's era would be great in this era or any era, but when you got to roster spots 4-8 on the large majority of teams, it was pretty atrocious.

Reactions: 05_never_again
Does US basketball get anything from sponsors? I know US Soccer did hence the decision to roster and play a clearly washed Rapinoe.

They've got to have them. Nike is most likely a big one, but I doubt it's structured with any variability that would affect this. It's probably a set amount of $ for a set amount of years.

The one thing is we don't know what kind of sponsors they might've gained in the next few weeks (if any).

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
The other thing is what if Nike didn't want her at the Olympics? The entire WNBA conversation right now is CC and Angel Reese. Nike's got a signature shoe with Sabrina I. Just announced a signature shoe with A'ja Wilson. I am certain other girls on the team are with Nike. Nike's going to get that CC attention regardless, and now they get to separate and feature their other players, too, on the world's stage.

I would have put CC on the team over DT. Clearly, the Uconn bias is in play here but it's a short-sighted move to US Basketball. You need to look to future as the world closes the talent gap some.This team is winning gold if DT is the last person on the roster or if CC is the last person on the roster.

I can differtiate a marketing choice who can play at a level greater than some members on team (CC) vs a toxic one who was washed who did not deserve spot based on their ability (MR).

How in the hell is brand switching weird? Happens all the time and sometimes when someone either has a huge marketing success or failure.

Look, I'm not going to argue about it. If you think leaving the most popular female basketball player on planet Earth is a good idea, you do you. I just asked a question and you obviously do not see a problem with it.

Note to self: Never hire n_huffhines as a marketing director.
Olympic teams aren’t chosen based on popularity, nor do they need to be. Hope that helps

Was it that confusing? People like you weirdly pretending this is an emergency because “in four years no one will want to watch CC anymore” are generally the same people who aren’t watching now either

Most of the people complaining about CC not making the team don’t have the slightest clue about how stacked that US squad is without her.

Brand switching because the brand sent a trans person a custom can is pretty fkn wild.

Not surprised you can't answer the question with anything specific.

I work in marketing. I've overseen my company's flagship e-commerce website the last 12 years, taking it from $4m to $20m in annual sales.
I have to say I am surprised.

I have to say I am surprised.

Why do you think I'm bad at marketing because I asked you to name specific lost revenue, other than what I named? Why would this question make you think IDK marketing? The fact that you can't name anything else maybe means you're in over your head here, not me

Reactions: NashVol11
Was it that confusing? People like you weirdly pretending this is an emergency because “in four years no one will want to watch CC anymore” are generally the same people who aren’t watching now either
Uhm, you have me confused with someone else. I neither stated, nor pretended to hold the position this is an emergency. I asked a question on the proposition that if she is that popular, is leaving her off the team a great idea. If she still retains this popularity after four years has little to do with basketball, but business.

Now my opinion is she is the most popular female basketball player on the planet. It is also my opinion that more eyeballs brought to the game is good for everyone, although admittedly there may be little to no short-term gain for the players on this Olympic cycle.

If you disagree, fine, no skin off my back. I frankly could care less about the WNBA and most likely will never watch it if it were played by 400 Caitlin Clarks. I hardly watch any NBA anymore, although with the Celtics in Finals, I may watch a game or two.

Reactions: Voltopia
Why do you think I'm bad at marketing because I asked you to name specific lost revenue, other than what I named? Why would this question make you think IDK marketing? The fact that you can't name anything else maybe means you're in over your head here, not me
You did ask that specific question and I apparently did not answer your question directly, which I will hold to what I posted in another response:

I think CC brings more eyeballs and more eyeballs are good for everyone, although admittedly there may be little to no short term gain for the players or USA basketball.

The reason I stated you may not up to snuff on marketing is the seeming inability to understand and recognize what a colossal blunder the BL thing was. Now, you are perfectly fine to think the customers were wrong, but I am perfectly as fine to think that makes your marketing acumen suspect.

However, I'll be a bit more succinct. Based on your responses calling the brand switching in this case "weird" etc, I strongly suspect your marketing acumen is driven by a personal political/whatever motivation. Maybe I am wrong, but it appears that way to me.

Perhaps you think NASCAR (who is performing their own marketing hari-kari) should insist on using LDBTQEIEIO folks in an ad campaign. Heck, go for it! Present the case to NASCAR. You may be right!

Most of the people complaining about CC not making the team don’t have the slightest clue about how stacked that US squad is without her.
Agreed. But that's also why you put her on the team. They aren't going to win or lose bc of her taking a spot. And she's the biggest name in the sport

Clark is an alternate anyway, if Chelsea Gray can’t play and Clark gets added to the roster there will be people saying “ooooo public pressure changed their minds” and I’m already annoyed in advance at those people
It's sad how much time I spend being annoyed in advance at people. I need to go live in a fire tower or something.

Bill Simmons making some pretty good points about the Caitlin Clark thing. He says they should want her (and Juju Watkins) as the last two spots on the bench. They win every gold medal game by 25. Why not develop the next gen? FTR, this is how he treats the Men's team, too, and it's even more important in their game. The women are still winning easily. For the men it's a struggle.

And then he was making the Tebow point about how on the other hand it's not worth the circus, especially if you just do CC and not Juju. I think it would almost completely disarm the vets to have another young player on the team. Catilin being the lone one would get her the Christian Laettner treatment.

Bill Simmons making some pretty good points about the Caitlin Clark thing. He says they should want her (and Juju Watkins) as the last two spots on the bench. They win every gold medal game by 25. Why not develop the next gen? FTR, this is how he treats the Men's team, too, and it's even more important in their game. The women are still winning easily. For the men it's a struggle.

And then he was making the Tebow point about how on the other hand it's not worth the circus, especially if you just do CC and not Juju. I think it would almost completely disarm the vets to have another young player on the team. Catilin being the lone one would get her the Christian Laettner treatment.
That’s pretty much what I think . Yes the squad is stacked, how many people have played multiple times and won multiple gold medals? Diana Taurasi is in her 40s, going for #6 I think. Larry Bird could barely get up and down the floor on the Dream Team, but he was included because he was marketable. Magic had just retired bc he had HIV, he was still Magic . It seems like a great opportunity to pair the most marketable young very good player in the League play with the best players in the WNBA . If you feel like you’re one of the best players in the WNBA. Why wouldn’t you want more eyeballs on you ? It’s a chance to showcase your talent and image in front of a much larger audience and grow your brand. Makes sense to me.

Reactions: n_huffhines

VN Store

Back