Calipari Whining AGAIN!

I never said he was better than Cal.

I will say he is as good as or better than Cal. Say UMASS or whatever you want, and I will say if Pearl had had the chance to coach D1 earlier in his career, he would have some pretty amazing accomplishments. I vote for Pearl!!!

Why? It's not like they are hurting for marquee nonconference hoop games.

Memphis won't sell out a home game, conference or nonconference, on their schedule this season. Ignoring a guaranteed home sell out every other year against a nationally ranked team is all you need to know why Cal doesn't want this game.

Memphis won't sell out a home game, conference or nonconference, on their schedule this season. Ignoring a guaranteed home sell out every other year against a nationally ranked team is all you need to know why Cal doesn't want this game.
Yeah, they won't sell out the home parts of the series they are in the process of signing with North Carolina and Duke. I'll also bet you $500 they sell out at least one home game this year. Cal's options: Either play Tennessee in Nashville every year or waste a spot on the nonconference schedule every other year on that glamorous trip to Knoxville. Let's see neutral site game in, for example, Madison Square Garden or a trip to Knoxville. Yeah, it has to be his fear of Tennessee.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Yeah, they won't sell out the home parts of the series they are in the process of signing with North Carolina and Duke

They probably will sell out those games, when/if they are scheduled. I only pointed out they won't sell out any this year.

I'll also bet you $500 they sell out at least one home game this year.

As I've said before, I don't make cash bets on an internet message board. Ever.

Cal's options: Either play Tennessee in Nashville every year or waste a spot on the nonconference schedule every other year on that glamorous trip to Knoxville.

That is how Cal portrays it. When UT was a doormat he claimed he didn't want to play UT because he wanted national exposure. Now that UT is competitve he still complains but just finds another excuse. The UT-UM game last season was the highest TV rated regular season game. It doesn't get much better for exposure than that.

Let's see neutral site game in, for example, Madison Square Garden or a trip to Knoxville. Yeah, it has to be his fear of Tennessee.

Cal doesn't want to play UT becuse he sees it as a nothing-to-gain-everything-to-lose situation. But the AD has him tied to it becuse the football revenue UM gets from playing UT makes a substantial chunk of thier budget - and RC knows that if they drop basketball MH will drop football.

Plus, why wouldn't a coach want an in-state game every season that was a guaranteed sellout for the home and home fans to enjoy?

They probably will sell out those games, when/if they are scheduled. I only pointed out they won't sell out any this year.

As I've said before, I don't make cash bets on an internet message board. Ever.

That is how Cal portrays it. When UT was a doormat he claimed he didn't want to play UT because he wanted national exposure. Now that UT is competitve he still complains but just finds another excuse. The UT-UM game last season was the highest TV rated regular season game. It doesn't get much better for exposure than that.

Cal doesn't want to play UT becuse he sees it as a nothing-to-gain-everything-to-lose situation. But the AD has him tied to it becuse the football revenue UM gets from playing UT makes a substantial chunk of thier budget - and RC knows that if they drop basketball MH will drop football.

Plus, why wouldn't a coach want an in-state game every season that was a guaranteed sellout for the home and home fans to enjoy?
I'm pretty sure the Memphis fans enjoyed the trip to San Antonio last year. Why should Cal subject himself to another lame road trip every other year? It's not like C-USA doesn't provide enough of those.

I'm pretty sure the Memphis fans enjoyed the trip to San Antonio last year. Why should Cal subject himself to another lame road trip every other year? It's not like C-USA doesn't provide enough of those.

Where you play the last game of the season defines the year as successful or not. So yes, Memphis fans really enjoyed the trip in spite of the fact it was in San Antonio.

If the reason Cal doesn't want to play UT is becuse it's a lame road trip to Knoxville, he should just come out and say that. I'm sure the media won't pester him anymore after that.

"To hell with generating interest in my program, to hell with creating excitement among fans.....I don't want a lame road trip to Knoxville." - Cal

And the funny part is you bag on Nashville hard - and Cal is fine with playing there rather than 180 miles up the road.

Where you play the last game of the season defines the year as successful or not. So yes, Memphis fans really enjoyed the trip in spite of the fact it was in San Antonio.

If the reason Cal doesn't want to play UT is becuse it's a lame road trip to Knoxville, he should just come out and say that. I'm sure the media won't pester him anymore after that.

"To hell with generating interest in my program, to hell with creating excitement among fans.....I don't want a lame road trip to Knoxville." - Cal

And the funny part is you bag on Nashville hard - and Cal is fine with playing there rather than 180 miles up the road.
1. San Antonio is the best venue the NCAA uses for regional finals and Final Fours now.
2. Why would my opinion that Nashville is a cesspool have any bearing on where Cal wants to play Tennessee?

Ron Mercer. David Harrison. Brenden Wright. All 1st round NBA draft guys from the Nashville area in the last 10 or so years. How many has Knoxville produced?

Yeah, that's why the consensus among the coaches and the media is that they'd be fine if the rotation for the Final Four was limited to New Orleans, San Antonio, and Indianapolis.

that has absolutely 0 bearing on my opinion that San Antonio sucks

that has absolutely 0 bearing on my opinion that San Antonio sucks
It bears on my opinion that I am now certain I'll give all of your future posts the same credibility I attach to those of New Coach.

It bears on my opinion that I am now certain I'll give all of your future posts the same credibility I attach to those of New Coach.

and I care...because?

The fact that you attribute my opinion of a locale to my intelligence is ridiculous. If you like arrogant Texans in SA then more power to you. I don't.

Ron Mercer. David Harrison. Brenden Wright. All 1st round NBA draft guys from the Nashville area in the last 10 or so years. How many has Knoxville produced?

Personally I'd love to see the series continue as a home and home. Calipari doesn't and his reasons don't add up. He'll keep getting asked the question that everyone knows the answer to until he final comes out and says it - It does him no good to risk a loss to UT, plain and simple.

The troubling part for RC is Memphis football needs UT football a lot more than UT basketball needs Memphis basketball. That wasn't the case until recently.

Personally I'd love to see the series continue as a home and home. Calipari doesn't and his reasons don't add up. He'll keep getting asked the question that everyone knows the answer to until he final comes out and says it - It does him no good to risk a loss to UT, plain and simple.

The troubling part for RC is Memphis football needs UT football a lot more than UT basketball needs Memphis basketball. That wasn't the case until recently.

Maybe, but I have a feeling he'd prefer us to not come into Memphis and beat him, when the reverse of beating us in Knoxville doesn't do much for him. The problem is that playing in Nashville, for us, isn't that great either. Nashville simply isn't far enough away to make it a recruiting issue in my mind where as the advantage of making it into Memphis is great.

How often does UT go to Memphis in football? If RC Johnson is mentally defective enough to piss off his school's cash cow to keep a football program, which should be disbanded, afloat, good for him.

What Memphis football needs is an AD with the guts to euthenize the program.

What Memphis football needs is an AD with the guts to euthenize the program.

As a Tiger alum, Bball season ticket holder, and donor I agree and approve this message. The only thing that could save the FB program is getting into a BCS conference and the $$ that follow. If this doesn't happen in the next 5-10 years, FB should be put down. Tickets are cheap yet crowds are only in the 20-30K range with alot of those being discounted or giveaways. Just not alot of interest in watching SMU, Tulane, and the likes of CUSA.

The attendance at the UT game last year was no more or less than Gtown, Arizona, Gonzaga, or UAB for that matter. Maybe more than SMU.

Season was sold out last year.There is a wait list for lower level and club level. Maybe a few (50-100) nose bleeds available.

VN Store

Back