Can McCarthy survive as Speaker?

I'd like to remind those in the "burn it down" camp that our Forefathers weren't just passionate rebels with torches and no plans.

The Continental Congress was developed for a year or more and in place months before they started "burning it down." They were as measured and sober about the formation of a new government as they were fed up with the King.

My issue with Gaetz and "burn it down" is: the Speaker needs to go but who and what is next? Do we just strike a match to the GOP leadership and hope for the best?

That's really not how it happened in the 1770s. Read some history.

Comparing Gaetz or any other any of these yahoos to our FFs or our struggle for independence is useless, there is no comparison whatsoever. Hell it would be the current yahoos in charge that our FFs would be shooting.

I'd like to remind those in the "burn it down" camp that our Forefathers weren't just passionate rebels with torches and no plans.

The Continental Congress was developed for a year or more and in place months before they started "burning it down." They were as measured and sober about the formation of a new government as they were fed up with the King.

My issue with Gaetz and "burn it down" is: the Speaker needs to go but who and what is next? Do we just strike a match to the GOP leadership and hope for the best?

That's really not how it happened in the 1770s. Read some history.

The thing about Gaetz is this whole move was personal with McCarthy.

Ousting McCarthy for pure political / policy reasons is an easy sell to the guys like Burchett, Good, and even Biggs. The rest were out solely for the grift....

The rest however were solely out for the scalp and admittedly had zero plan afterwards. Just throwing stuff on the wall to see what sticks

Ousting McCarthy for pure political / policy reasons is an easy sell to the guys like Burchett, Good, and even Biggs. The rest were out solely for the grift....

The rest however were solely out for the scalp and admittedly had zero plan afterwards. Just throwing stuff on the wall to see what sticks

Gaetz is just showboating for name recognition and donations. McCarthy agreeing to Gaetz’s terms to be speaker was dumb.

That's my point. It's not a good look for the party. To be sure Jefferson and Adams and others had differences, personal and political, but they realized the country came first and negotiated and worked hard deals.

These days, the GOP hardliners are so power mad because FINALLY they have a real voice that they give the appearance of a "circle shoot" of others in the party. The "C word," compromise, will get you shot in some GOP circles but that's how govt worked from the 1770s in America.

With the country so closely divided, swaying the middle is critical to being able to govern (keep power) and looking like GOP anarchists are trashing anyone who tries to lead our own party doesn't give me comfort, much less those trying to weigh the two political parties.

It was not a "good show" when McCarthy was chosen. He was doomed from the start. Another round of infighting, which is all I can see ahead, just allows the narrative that the GOP can't govern without our own fistfights and personalities getting in the way.

Reactions: AM64
That's my point. It's not a good look for the party. To be sure Jefferson and Adams and others had differences, personal and political, but they realized the country came first and negotiated and worked hard deals.

These days, the GOP hardliners are so power mad because FINALLY they have a real voice that they give the appearance of a "circle shoot" of others in the party. The "C word," compromise, will get you shot in some GOP circles but that's how govt worked from the 1770s in America.

With the country so closely divided, swaying the middle is critical to being able to govern (keep power) and looking like GOP anarchists are trashing anyone who tries to lead our own party doesn't give me comfort, much less those trying to weigh the two political parties.

It was not a "good show" when McCarthy was chosen. He was doomed from the start. Another round of infighting, which is all I can see ahead, just allows the narrative that the GOP can't govern without our own fistfights and personalities getting in the way.

Yes. I think we are going to have a Speaker by Committee for the next 16 months. Whoever becomes Speaker next will likely face the same outrage for cutting a deal by 11/17 when government funding expires.

In some perverse way..the Dems are the ones who ousted him and created the chaos as much as the 8 Republicans. I guess party over governance.

LOL

The mental gymnastics to blame the left for Gaetz's shenanigans is gold medal worthy.

Reactions: tvolsfan
Very interesting story on the proposed ouster of Speaker Kevin McCarthy in today's edition of the Knoxville News Sentinel by political reporter Allie Feinberg on the front page.

The increase from 5 trillion to 7 trillion to keep the country running until November 17th is a stop gap measure.

The Venn diagram of people who believe the things Gaetz says and believe the things Trump says is just one circle.

When I don’t know what to think about a specific bill I normally look to what Massie or Crenshaw think. Both voted against this stupidity. Only a handful of republicans actually voted for this along with a majority of democrats. That tells you how ignorant this was

Some real deep thinkers here.

I wouldn’t trust that bimbo if she said the sky is blue. She, Boebert and Gaetz are about as worthless as any individual who has ever walked the halls of Congress. Vacuous wastes of space and oxygen. Makes me seriously wonder about the intelligence and sanity of the people in their districts. Who would vote for such a POS?

And don’t bother with a “but,but,but….”. I’m talking about these dipsticks who are embarrassing the party I voted for most of my life. It has become increasingly difficult to bother going to the polls with the sorry choices we have.

Reactions: Septic
Very interesting story on the proposed ouster of Speaker Kevin McCarthy in today's edition of the Knoxville News Sentinel by political reporter Allie Feinberg on the front page.

The increase from 5 trillion to 7 trillion to keep the country running until November 17th is a stop gap measure.
so 2T for 45 days?

Reactions: AM64 and Volfan1000
I wouldn’t trust that bimbo if she said the sky is blue. She, Boebert and Gaetz are about as worthless as any individual who has ever walked the halls of Congress. Vacuous wastes of space and oxygen. Makes me seriously wonder about the intelligence and sanity of the people in their districts. Who would vote for such a POS?

And don’t bother with a “but,but,but….”. I’m talking about these dipsticks who are embarrassing the party I voted for most of my life. It has become increasingly difficult to bother going to the polls with the sorry choices we have.
I read something today that America really has three parties now, we just don't realize it.

VN Store

Back