Children don't belong to parents, they belong to the community

having watched it a couple times the 2 things that bug me the most are:

1. she appears to suggest parents viewing children as their own is preventing the community from being more involved

2. community involvement is in the form of taxation and spending on public education (e.g. community = government) rather than community as described by some posters in here.

having watched it a couple times the 2 things that bug me the most are:

1. she appears to suggest parents viewing children as their own is preventing the community from being more involved.

I agree and that's absurd.

I think most people would agree that it is the parents responsibility at the end of the day.

However, let's not act like children are being raised/influenced in a vacuum void of outside (the parents) environment/community or dismiss/downplay the social creature aspect of mankind.

I think most people would agree that it is the parents responsibility at the end of the day.

However, let's not act like children are being raised/influenced in a vacuum void of outside (the parents) environment/community or dismiss/downplay the social creature aspect of mankind.

That wasn't my point at all. My point is that she appears to be saying that if it weren't for parents acting like the kid belongs them then the community could get on with the parenting that it should be providing.

Of course people beyond the parents have an impact and role. That doesn't mean that parents are the impediment to that role being exercised.

When coupled with point 2 (community = government action via schools, taxes, etc) then we really see the problem with #1 - parents taking primary responsibility prevents the community via government from assuming responsibility.

That wasn't my point at all. My point is that she appears to be saying that if it weren't for parents acting like the kid belongs them then the community could get on with the parenting that it should be providing.

Of course people beyond the parents have an impact and role. That doesn't mean that parents are the impediment to that role being exercised.

Honestly, I think the child belonging to the parents is a card that has been way overplayed. It has been overplayed with lawsuits, cultural stigma, etc. to the point where the community feels threatened/freighted/fearful to assist in (whatever small way) raising said child.

I get what she is saying and agree to a certain extent. Of course my kids are my kids and I'm ultimately responsible for them. However, I appreciate it when other adults watch out for them and are concerned for their safety and security. Even when that means those adults might correct my kids or call us and let us know when they misbehave. We are too isolated in our neighborhoods these days and too often we hear stories of kids in situations that are wrong. Yet, no one gets involved enough to help out. It doesn't mean I abdicate all responsibility to the community, but that the community plays a role in keeping all the kids on track.

Well said York!!

I think she was just saying that the community should feel a responsibility (not very common these days) to all the children in that community, not that the community owns them in any way.

Examples:
1. I go to Lacrosse games when my kids no longer play. The entrance fee is $1, I give $10 or $20 to support the kids (that aren't mine).
2. The Cub Scouts sell popcorn, I donate $10 and don't take the popcorn to support the kids (that aren't mine).
3. The Girl Scouts sell cookies, I donate $10 and don't take the cookies....etc.

It's acts like these that support the kids of the community even though those kids do not belong to you.

Reactions: 1 person
Examples:
1. I go to Lacrosse games when my kids no longer play. The entrance fee is $1, I give $10 or $20 to support the kids (that aren't mine).
2. The Cub Scouts sell popcorn, I donate $10 and don't take the popcorn to support the kids (that aren't mine).
3. The Girl Scouts sell cookies, I donate $10 and don't take the cookies....etc.

It's acts like these that support the kids of the community even though those kids do not belong to you.

This is good but what your saying in terms of community support is completely different from what she is referring to.

she can have a say in their lives when I start getting checks for diapers, food, clothes, daycare and maybe she'll come over to babysit once a week so the wife and I can go out to dinner on her dime.

this is simply an excuse for bad parents or people who shouldn't be parents int he first place. Complete lack of accountability for one's actions is a lefty talking point

Her comment is disturbingly paternalistic. Literally. And I don't think much of her show. She's too far left for my tastes.

Reactions: 1 person
Keith Olberman makes her look like your boy Sean Hannity but she's too "left" for your tastes?

Now that is funny.

Olberman is way left, but I thought on a day to day basis his arguments were better reasoned. She just says all the platitudes. Boring, actually.

‘Not Open … To Parents’: Hyper-Racial Justice Department ‘SPIRIT’ Program Set To Descend On Public School

A Virginia high school requested programming from the Department of Justice (DOJ) that reportedly separates students in “homogenous” groups and does not allow parents to attend, according to a parent familiar with the matter.

Fairfax High School is slated to host the DOJ’s School-Student Problem Identification and Resolution of Issues Together (SPIRIT) program on Monday, May 16, and Tuesday, May 17, according to a Fairfax County parent. The program is run by the Justice Department’s Community Relations Service (CRS), which is available to state and local officials “to help resolve and prevent racial and ethnic conflict, violence and civil disorder.”

Day one of the DOJ’s programming allegedly places students in “separate homogeneous breakout groups” wherein they “have uncomfortable conversations about tensions in the school,” according to an advocacy group that reported on the program at an Alaska high school. In an example listed on the DOJ’s website, student participants in Anchorage were divided into five groups to identify the school’s strengths and areas on concerns, including the alleged “widespread use” of racial and ethnic slurs.

On the second day of School-SPIRIT programming, students meet in “heterogeneous” breakout groups and brainstorm solutions to tensions in the school. The program then introduces the “SPIRIT Student Advisory Team,” which must meet with the school’s principal “at least on a monthly basis,” according to the report.

A Fairfax mother, who requested anonymity for fear of retribution against her child, told the Daily Caller that she feared the Student Advisory Team may go after students who don’t subscribe to the ideology of the student board. She also claimed that the “general parent population” was not notified in written form about the programming.

‘Not Open … To Parents’: Hyper-Racial Justice Department ‘SPIRIT’ Program Set To Descend On Public School

Her comment is disturbingly paternalistic. Literally. And I don't think much of her show. She's too far left for my tastes.

Man, it's cool when a Ras necro-thread gets bumped and we find jewels like this.

School District Encouraged Philadelphia Teachers To Attend ‘Banging Beyond Binaries,’ ‘BDSM’ Conference

Videos exposed the extent to which a Zoom conference, which some Philadelphia teachers were encouraged to attend, discussed “gender-affirming care” for minors, transgender sex, and “masturbation sleeves,” according to City Journal.

The School District of Philadelphia sent educators an email encouraging them to attend a conference on “kink,” “BDSM,” “trans sex,” and “banging beyond binaries,” according to a report from City Journal. The email was reportedly sent in July 2021 by the district’s Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.

Event sessions appeared to be far more graphic than discussing issues faced by transgender individuals, as the school district purported. Session titles included, “Preparing Young People for Gender-Affirming Care,” “Bigger Dick Energy: Life After Masculinizing [Gender Reassignment Surgery],” and “Trans Sex: Banging Beyond Binaries.”

Chase Ross, a transgender YouTuber, hosted multiple sessions on “packers,” “masturbation sleeves,” and “prosthetics for sex.” According to video of the session, Ross demonstrated devices from his collection of sex toys.

School District Encouraged Philadelphia Teachers To Attend ‘Banging Beyond Binaries,’ ‘BDSM’ Conference

VN Store

Back