Cigar /Pipe Smoking thread

Lit up an AF Rothschild maduro with a little Zinfandel while the chicken is roasting. 😋

A maduro with a zinfandel? HERESY!
horror.gif

Yeah, but the choice of wine preceded the decision to smoke the cigar. If you just received an AF Rothschild maduro, wouldn’t you want to fire it up whatever was in your glass? 😁

Sometimes on the path of wisdom, my son, you must resist the urge to eat the marshmallow...and placate yourself with one of those montechristos instead until such time is appropriate to indulge with a sweet bourbon of high quality (and the AF had a month or so in the humidor). :p

Indulging in three fingers of Tennessee whiskey this fine afternoon, I’ve ventured onto my porch to smoke a second cigar today. Rarely do I light up twice in 24 hours. This afternoon’s treat is a Drew Estates Undercrown maduro. Médium to full body, more dark coffee than cocoa, nutty, a certain sweetness that I cannot quite identify. The cocoa is in the aroma of it burning. Smooth for a robust flavor profile. Burning well, with firm ash. My whiskey doesn’t overwhelm it. They’re complimentary.

Macanudo Maduro tonight. Gotta make room in my little humidor. It’s gonna be full of Fuente Fuentes and other special/limited releases before Christmas gets here since I pass Casablanca pretty much every day.

Forgive me my weakness before the AFs, oh gray one. I have Tennessee sippin’ whiskey and will remember my pairings in future.

You are surely forgiven. It is easy to get lost in the smokey haze of an oily Maduro.

I too, know the clarion call of the freshly opened package from Thompson. How it glistens in its cellophane, its aroma wafting to your nose like a husky aphrodisiac, beaconing you to light up the darkness.

But we must be strong and resist such temptation. Let them rest and clip the grassy ones while you wait 😜

Question for the group: most cigars come individually wrapped in cellophane. Should it be removed and placed in the humidor or kept wrapped in it until ready for enjoyment?

Question for the group: most cigars come individually wrapped in cellophane. Should it be removed and placed in the humidor or kept wrapped in it until ready for enjoyment?

There are many who hold to one side or the other of the debate. I usually keep it on.

The good thing about cellophane is that it keeps flavors separate, especially if stored with other sticks. The other thing is that you can get some sense of how long it has been aged by the yellowness of the cellophane. Cellophane is not like plastic though, so it wont harm the flavor and its a natural product.

There are many who hold to one side or the other of the debate. I usually keep it on.

The good thing about cellophane is that it keeps flavors separate, especially if stored with other sticks. The other thing is that you can get some sense of how long it has been aged by the yellowness of the cellophane. Cellophane is not like plastic though, so it wont harm the flavor and its a natural product.
Good point about commingling of flavors. I keep it on also, but always wondered if it kept the humidor from doing its duty.

I keep the cellophane on. My current conundrum is I have a number of 5 packs in my humidor still in the overwrap. Not sure if that’s proper or not, so I’m planning to let them rest a while.
They’re for my Christmas stocking from the wife.

Reactions: loggervol
Good point about commingling of flavors. I keep it on also, but always wondered if it kept the humidor from doing its duty.

Not at all say the experts. If anything, its great for long term aging and makes sure you dont get anything on them or harm them if moved.

I keep the cellophane on. My current conundrum is I have a number of 5 packs in my humidor still in the overwrap. Not sure if that’s proper or not, so I’m planning to let them rest a while.
They’re for my Christmas stocking from the wife.

Generally I get rid of the overwrap on 5 packs and such. I feel like its easier to get consistent humidity. Im ok with the individual wrappers but I dont need the extra wrap or the cedar plank.

VN Store

Back