Cigar /Pipe Smoking thread

It’s 38 degrees outside, but still. Winds are forecast for later. I’m on my porch watching the flock of blackbirds moving around the neighborhood. Good time for an AB Prensado.

Interesting description of a pretty nice bourbon.
now do this one…

View attachment 606228

"Rip Van Winkle that is massively overpriced" LOL

Exact same recipe between the two but my understanding is that they barrel slightly differently.

Personally, I don't care for the 23yo as much (except for bragging rights of course). I really do like the 20yo. Mind you, I would absolutely gladly sip one if offered though :D

If I am going to go in that territory though, Ill go for a Mccallan's 25yo. So buttery, vanilla smooth and perfect sweetness. Hell I remember getting costco versions of this for $200 a bottle. No more :(

With the right barrel hopping (changing barrels of different flavor) in the right geography (unlike Scotland with relatively consistent climate), the long age for bourbon is not needed IMO to reach its apogee.

I can't believe how expensive it is to get even Blantons down here. I started drinking it in NYC when it was $30 a bottle and there was plenty of it. Now of course, its more. The stores just dont have the volume I guess to get the allocations like my go to stores up there does.

Love the Monte you have there, though. I am going to assume since it fits in your glass, its a #2 and not the gran piramide?

Reactions: loggervol
"Rip Van Winkle that is massively overpriced" LOL

Exact same recipe between the two but my understanding is that they barrel slightly differently.

Personally, I don't care for the 23yo as much (except for bragging rights of course). I really do like the 20yo. Mind you, I would absolutely gladly sip one if offered though :D

If I am going to go in that territory though, Ill go for a Mccallan's 25yo. So buttery, vanilla smooth and perfect sweetness. Hell I remember getting costco versions of this for $200 a bottle. No more :(

With the right barrel hopping (changing barrels of different flavor) in the right geography (unlike Scotland with relatively consistent climate), the long age for bourbon is not needed IMO to reach its apogee.

I can't believe how expensive it is to get even Blantons down here. I started drinking it in NYC when it was $30 a bottle and there was plenty of it. Now of course, its more. The stores just dont have the volume I guess to get the allocations like my go to stores up there does.

Love the Monte you have there, though. I am going to assume since it fits in your glass, its a #2 and not the gran piramide?
That’s more than once you’ve characterized a nice bourbon or cigar posted here as “overpriced “. Sounds like more petty jealousy. You really should stop. Here’s one more thing to be envious of. It’s what’s left of my wife’s Blanton’s stash after her gift giving throughout the holiday season.image.jpg

That’s more than once you’ve characterized a nice bourbon or cigar posted here as “overpriced “. Sounds like more petty jealousy. You really should stop. Here’s one more thing to be envious of. It’s what’s left of my wife’s Blanton’s stash after her gift giving throughout the holiday season.View attachment 606319

Oh, I am absolutely jealous of your having them in your cabinet, no pettiness at all...its a deep abiding envy 😁 But you did ask my opinion of it and while I have definitely enjoyed the PVW23 the times I have had it in the past, I just dont think it is worth the crazy prices it has gotten to lately. The "Pappys light" or ORVW10 has also gotten to crazy prices at $1k a bottle in some places but still gives entry at the lowest rung into the Pappy pavilion. The fact that you are having some, however, does not in any way diminish the pleasure of having a truly top shelf drink.

Still, there are different tastes for different folks. A buddy shared a bottle of 30yo Laphroaig that I honestly could not stand but didnt have the heart to tell him (the heavy peat is just not my thing).

My ultimate white whale though is Springbank 50. A buddy tells me it is delicious beyond reason. I have never gotten my hands on one though and couldnt justify that kind of cash for it if I did.

Good example is my Behike 56. I am finding I really just dont like them as much as just the Sigilo VI. Something in the medio tiempo just doesnt seem to do well with my taste buds. It was the same when I have had the 52 but less so. I really want to like them and of course they are a luxury so I am grateful for that.

Last edited:
Scotch whiskies… As I’ve aged, I’m not as fond of the peat as I was in my youth (Talisker in the 80s). My liquor cabinet has the “chick friendly” Balvenie double wood (aged 12 years).

Bourbon… Retired now, I’m price conscious. These past four months, I’ve forgone bourbon in favor of Nelson’s Greenbrier Tennessee Sour Mash Whiskey. Presently, its price point is below its quality.

Irish… whatever single malt that I can find and afford. Sexton was the last which I acquired.

Cigars… I’ve enjoyed and appreciated my exploration of handmade premium cigars in 2023. Entering into 2024, I’m focused on Arturo Fuente and budgeting for future purchases, though the opportunity to grab select others (e.g. macassars) at steep discounts may divert my purchase from time to time.

I’m way too cheap to buy PVW . Not really a bourbon drinker though.

I was gifted a bottle of crystal skull for Christmas though. IMG_0681.jpeg

I am having a partagas today. I have had this in the humi for 3 months or more.

IMG_0682.jpeg

I know it’s late but Merry Christmas to everyone and happy New Year.

I’m way too cheap to buy PVW . Not really a bourbon drinker though.

I was gifted a bottle of crystal skull for Christmas though. View attachment 606415

I am having a partagas today. I have had this in the humi for 3 months or more.

View attachment 606417

I know it’s late but Merry Christmas to everyone and happy New Year.
Welcome back!! Happy New Year!

Anyone familiar with the phrase, “Cuban sandwich?”

I heard this applied to cigars with short to medium cut filler.
I know this was a while back but I’ll give my 2 cents.

I’ve had a few Cuban sandwiches and they’re not to bad. A cheaper cigar but the ones I’ve smoked have a good taste. They usually have burn problems and a flaky ash and that’s really the only problems I have with them.

Last edited:
Anybody smoke the green cigars? I think they’re called “candela”. I see them at the shop with the AF 858s. Not sure who else produces them.
I’ve wanted to try the barber pole with the green and maduro leaves. I think it’s called a filthy hooligan. I believe they only make it for ST. Patty’s day.

I’ve been wanting to try the plasencia that’s wrapped in an octagonal box wrap. I think they’re close to 30$ but they’re a fine looking stick.

I think the box press one is Campo. I havent had the pleasure of them yet but it is a pretty looking stick at least.

Has anyone tried the Rocky Patel 60? Won a number of awards but had some guys who smoke 3-5 sticks a day that it was not all that special and more an overpriced revenue capture for RP. Im a sucker for a big ring size but they are a bit pricey and not easy to find a 5 pack. Anyone with experience?
1704300484170.png

I think the box press one is Campo. I havent had the pleasure of them yet but it is a pretty looking stick at least.

Has anyone tried the Rocky Patel 60? Won a number of awards but had some guys who smoke 3-5 sticks a day that it was not all that special and more an overpriced revenue capture for RP. Im a sucker for a big ring size but they are a bit pricey and not easy to find a 5 pack. Anyone with experience?
View attachment 607135
That’s my favorite RP. It’s a little more pricey but it’s a fine smoke. I think that toro is about 25-28$ at the Smoke shop in Halls.

I will say that there’s probably a cheaper cigar that is just as good as the sixty is though. And, I don’t know if it’s worth the money or stacks up to a esg, padron or a liga in that price range.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gandalf

VN Store

Back