Coach BJ tests [lack of] 'sharpness' of UT

...this scrimmage was designed to test their reactions to very stessful situations, to identify their shortcomings with the objective to later work on the solutions, that is why the emphasis was on the mistakes.

Or we could look at the article (aka read it)

and see what Jones said:

"We try to expose our players to anything and every situation that occurs throughout the course of a football season," Jones said after Friday's practice, "so when that situation occurs during the season, they've practiced it and they have confidence in that situation because they have seen it and they have practiced it."

Reactions: 2 people
I have to side with brainiac on this one. Most of you that hounded him didn't read the article. Everything in the article was negative. As of now we do poorly in situational foot all and that will cost us games. Hopefully things improve drastically in situational dynamics of the game or we are going to be a 4 win team.

This was written about an hour long situational practice before the scrimmage. I'm sure the coaches were trying to prepare these guys for the scrimmage. Trying to get them to step up, communicate, and focus just like it's a game.

There going to ride you hard in that situation. The coaches are trying to get the team to take that next step and understand how there mistakes effect the game.

First, he is a bran fan:), and this scrimmage was designed to test their reactions to very stessful situations, to identify their shortcomings with the objective to later work on the solutions, that is why the emphasis was on the mistakes.

Now I'll step aside and let you enjoy branman's drama. :thumbsup:

I don't deny this, but good teams should be able to perform under pressure. Now I know that good teams do not have to accomplice every single problem from 1:00 to 0:00. However from what was written in the article, it sounded like our offense had no clue.

Reactions: 1 person
I think the coaches are putting the offensive team in more pressure packed situations early to show them how far they have to come to be a winning football team. Make them work harder with greater focus

A bowl game has always been the goal this season. It's going to take awhile to recover from the Dooley disaster.

I think the coaches are putting the offensive team in more pressure packed situations early to show them how far they have to come to be a winning football team. Make them work harder with greater focus
Look at this. Someone who actually read the article. :thumbsup:

He's pointing out to them that at this juncture, in game-deciding situations, they stink.

He's pointing out to them that at this juncture, in game-deciding situations, they stink.

So are you admitting that the whole point of the practice is to make these mistakes to learn from them? How is that consistent with your 4 win claim?

Yes. Hopefully when a game ending scenario pops up and our offense handles it well we can say, "**** son look how good butch coaches up our team!"

So are you admitting that the whole point of the practice is to make these mistakes to learn from them? How is that consistent with your 4 win claim?

I believe brainiac inferred from the 4 win comment that right now we are a 4 win team due to our offense's lack of knowledge in a tight final minute scenario.

I don't deny this, but good teams should be able to perform under pressure. Now I know that good teams do not have to accomplice every single problem from 1:00 to 0:00. However from what was written in the article, it sounded like our offense had no clue.
We had experienced WRs who failed to get OB when the clock is running down. Two of our 'starting' QBs who missed passes and took sacks, WRs who dropped them and had "pick" penalties, poor substitution, K Palardy (sometimes a name says it all).

This part of practice, a very important part, is a mess.

We had experienced WRs who failed to get OB when the clock is running down. Two of our 'starting' QBs who missed passes and took sacks, WRs who dropped them and had "pick" penalties, poor substitution, K Palardy (sometimes a name says it all).

You like bolding negative words, don't you.

Yes our team has a lot of maturing to do. I hope like hell we pull an upset this year. But right now it is not likely seeing that those kinda of games come down to the wire.

I believe brainiac inferred from the 4 win comment that right now we are a 4 win team due to our offense's lack of knowledge in a tight final minute scenario.
Spot on.

Every year, we face one or several games where how we perform under time pressure means W or L. This team isn't going to be blowing but a very few teams off the field. We may have 3-4 games on the line in the last minutes.

At this point, we lose those games. 4 win team.

we had experienced wrs who failed to get ob when the clock is running down. Two of our 'starting' qbs who missed passes and took sacks, wrs who dropped them and had "pick" penalties, poor substitution, k palardy (sometimes a name says it all).

this is what practice is for!!!

VN Store

Back