Coach Kellie Harper

Do you want Coach Harper to return or hire new Coach?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that's exactly right. Wells seems quite shy and a bit overwhelmed by it all. Though losing her as pg depth has really hurt this year, the extra year (or 2 w the rs) around the program will really help her get more comfortable.

JP also had a great game against Oklahoma, so the most bashed starter gave us our only ranked win.
I'm changing my mind on the JP bashing. The only game that she really upset me was LSU. I think she was trying to match HVL who was having the game of her life and shots were not falling.

Wells and Cooper unless we get someone else in the portal. Boyd can play there and Wynn, but they are going to be the fill in minutes for sure. Right now if it was a new season I see it being Cooper, Spear, Key, Hollingshead, and Puckett. Wells could be in for Cooper, but if Kellie is the coach Cooper is going to play she may or may not have offensive problems next season, but she can guard the point position better than anyone we'll have back.

What I would like to see is post player that can score inside that is really a five and Key stays. A wing that may not be Rickea,but may Dye or a little better.
If they can't upgrade via the portal, Wells has to be it. Boyd is a freshman and Cooper is unproven. Destinee is the closest thing they have to a "sure" fit to start at PG.

The SC model this year is the one to emulate, where they have 5 players on the court who are equally comfortable taking over and opponents can't just focus on one of them. For this to work, you need to have a very high IQ playmaking PG and players that can all pass and look to find good open looks instead of 1-on-5 hero ball (Hi, Jasmine Powell!).

Tennessee's issue this year was less about the personnel and more about the offense they ran. Powell, Spear, Puckett, Jackson, and Key/Hollingshed should have been able to replicate how SC played. There was no need for them to be so predictable.
They have shooters and strong post players. Players that can drive and score. Everything you need. This year more than last you have to guard them everywhere. Last year Iowa beat them by clogging the paint and let their guard shoot away. Bad day for all meant a close win for Iowa.

I'm changing my mind on the JP bashing. The only game that she really upset me was LSU. I think she was trying to match HVL who was having the game of her life and shots were not falling.
She was just as bad during the first LSU game. Much like Jewell, it's her performance in the tough, close games against the good teams that is mind boggling.

If they can't upgrade via the portal, Wells has to be it. Boyd is a freshman and Cooper is unproven. Destinee is the closest thing they have to a "sure" fit to start at PG.
What I am looking for point guard. Actual five, and wing player with some scoring ability. Don't expect there will be a Rickea, but someone that can consistently put up 10 or 12 points a game will be a big help. We had so many inefficient players this season. Guess Jill will get her big chance to see what she can do. She was probably the most inefficient offensive player on the team this season. Good rebounder, but poor scoring points.

I don't think so much trying to match HVL, if she was doing that she would have helped her cause by playing a little defense on HVL. I think JP paniced when Jewel was a non factor and that allowed LSU D to just swallow Rickea. Her two best offensive options were gone and she just got rattled, very rare for her.
She was just as bad during the first LSU game. Much like Jewell, it's her performance in the tough, close games against the good teams that is mind boggling.
It's being good against good teams as well as mid and lower teams that seperates the good from the great players, the true elites. We have one of those.

I don't think so much trying to match HVL, if she was doing that she would have helped her cause by playing a little defense on HVL. I think JP paniced when Jewel was a non factor and that allowed LSU D to just swallow Rickea. Her two best offensive options were gone and she just got rattled, very rare for her.

It's being good against good teams as well as mid and lower teams that seperates the good from the great players, the true elites. We have one of those.
HVL won the LSU game if she shoots her 38 percent I don't know if they win. She went for 26 points doing more like 12 in most other games.

Reactions: knoxvol52 and glv98
HVL won the LSU game if she shoots her 38 percent I don't know if they win. She went for 26 points doing more like 12 in most other games.
12.3 ppg is not the norm for HVL. We all know that she's a big time scorer. She averaged something like 24 ppg in 4 NCAAT games last year, but needed to adjust her game at LSU because of all of the other talented scorers around her.

Reactions: knoxvol52
Would have helped if Wells hadn't gotten hurt, at least she was a different look at PG. Also, w JP and Jewel it's kind of chicken and egg. JP went into that mode sometimes, esp the LSU game, because Jewel was already a complete nonfactor on offense and her options were limited.

I love Jewel and really hope she steps up in tourney play. But she needs development this summer if she's going to be the offensive go to next season.
I just don’t think Wells will give us much, maybe as a backup but I’ve seen enough to know she’s shouldn’t be a starter.

12.3 ppg is not the norm for HVL. We all know that she's a big time scorer. She averaged something like 24 ppg in 4 NCAAT games last year, but needed to adjust her game at LSU because of all of the other talented scorers around her.
She did more at Louisville she is the third option sometimes fourth at LSU. What we needed from her was to continue to be the fourth option she has passed up those shots she was taking in a lot of other games. She was making everything she threw up that day.

I just don’t think Wells will give us much, maybe as a backup but I’ve seen enough to know she’s shouldn’t be a starter.
She had a really tough season was getting better when the injury happened. She has played a lot better against Power five teams only time will tell what she brings next season. I wouldn't be sitting on her to be the point guard savior. I would definitely be looking for another point guard.

She had a really tough season was getting better when the injury happened. She has played a lot better against Power five teams only time will tell what she brings next season. I wouldn't be sitting on her to be the point guard savior. I would definitely be looking for another point guard.
I’ve just seen too many flaws in her game, she’s already like 5’3 and she crouches all the time making herself even smaller. When u are that small u need to be elite at something, like shot making or penetration and she’s not of them. she should be more London John’s from UCLA, they are about the same size but she’s an elite 3point shooter and that’s what we would need from her.

I’ve just seen too many flaws in her game, she’s already like 5’3 and she crouches all the time making herself even smaller. When u are that small u need to be elite at something, like shot making or penetration and she’s not of them. she should be more London John’s from UCLA, they are about the same size but she’s an elite 3point shooter and that’s what we would need from her.
She shot 46 percent from the three for Belmont and they played some power fives that season and she done well. Hard to understand why she couldn't get it going here did fine against Oklahoma. With her just have to wait and see. Surely doesn't change the need to look for a point guard.

She shot 46 percent from the three for Belmont and they played some power fives that season and she done well. Hard to understand why she couldn't get it going here did fine against Oklahoma. With her just have to wait and see. Surely doesn't change the need to look for a point guard.
Yes but like I mentioned during the portal period I said is she closer to the 45% 3pt shooter or closer to the 29% she shot in the previous season. That was my concern, if she be be 45% I could live with that but she shot 15% for us in the games she played for us.

Reactions: Volfan2012
Yes but like I mentioned during the portal period I said is she closer to the 45% 3pt shooter or closer to the 29% she shot in the previous season. That was my concern, if she be be 45% I could live with that but she shot 15% for us in the games she played for us.
All we know is she is on the team. I wouldn't depend on her to be the starter at this point. I would be looking to get better at the point and inside.

Yeah, this is an incomplete and disingenuous set of statistics. You left out the evidence that the attendance numbers are building momentum:

2022-2023 (8,150)
2023-2024 (8,880)

Official attendance per SID. Edu

Percentage of increase is no where near what others are experiencing and I would argue with a competent coach we could easily be averaging over 11,000 a game. This year’s numbers are overinflated due to 15,000 in attendance for LSU

Football not won one National championship since beating Florida state 1998
Men's basketball / Baseball have not won national championship I can recall
Softball as those of us who watched needed just one hit vs Arizona
Volleyball hasn't won I recall
Soccer's coach just left Rocky with two lady Vols with him one Score the first goal in last national championship game.

Women's basketball won a national championship in 2008
Women's Basketball won last national championship of all those sports.
Women's Basketball is not getting NIL support like Tennessee volunteers football is
fix that Give Tennessee Lady Vols basketball NIL support to match teams getting recruits then if Kellie can't improve results Sweet Sixteen NCAA tournament in a few years with recruits move on
Amen, brother Mud!

Reactions: mudcat1973

Crouching is a good strategy on offense for smaller players, see the way ZZ does it

Football not won one National championship since beating Florida state 1998
Men's basketball / Baseball have not won national championship I can recall
Softball as those of us who watched needed just one hit vs Arizona
Volleyball hasn't won I recall
Soccer's coach just left Rocky with two lady Vols with him one Score the first goal in last national championship game.

Women's basketball won a national championship in 2008
Women's Basketball won last national championship of all those sports.
Women's Basketball is not getting NIL support like Tennessee volunteers football is
fix that Give Tennessee Lady Vols basketball NIL support to match teams getting recruits then if Kellie can't improve results Sweet Sixteen NCAA tournament in a few years with recruits move on
Here we go with the Football comparison again. 🙄

Reactions: Volstylexx
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back