College Football is officially a joke

Yes, the four hugest rated conference champions will receive byes.
Not arguing, but will they have to be conference champs to be in top 4? I thought i read that the top 6 conference champs are in regardless, but not sure if they're necessarily at the top. Might be wrong.

Who really cares though? It ensures some fun bowl matchups if nothing else.
As a Vol Fan used to getting robbed frequently by pollsters, committees, and ESPN, I have a lot of empathy for what FSU is going through right now. It is the same type tripe, just with another school playing the sacrificial victim this time around.

No we don't.... The same CFP that said Bama is better than FSU is the same CFP who says Georgia and Ohio State are not better than FSU.... All while dropping #1 Georgia to #6 lol
U know good a well that those ranking are simply a consolation prize for FSU. Nobody with eyes thinks FSU is better than Georgia. Even if they had Travis, Georgia is still better than them. I will return to this comment when UGA blasts them in the bowl game

Reactions: just bob
You actually think this could be a legit outcome?
I'm pretty sure the lawyers at FSU would not want to sign off on that strategy.

There's contracts with the bowl, ESPN, etc which wouldn't be honored if Norvell refused to actually play the game and forfeited.

The NCAA fine and likely sanctions against FSU and the lawsuits from ESPN and the Orange Bowl would be hefty. It's a business.

The sooner people understand that the CFP, NCAA, ESPN, etc are going to make good business decisions which aren't necessarily fair, the easier this will be on those who don't get it.

Not arguing, but will they have to be conference champs to be in top 4? I thought i read that the top 6 conference champs are in regardless, but not sure if they're necessarily at the top. Might be wrong.
Yes, only conference champions can be ranked in the top four.

You actually think this could be a legit outcome?
Just to play along the backlash would be incredible...including those who would accuse them of ducking GA and not risk looking "unworthy". In fact, that's absolutely why they should play as there's a lot on the line by way of perception. Beat GA (especially convincingly) and it's a big statement. Lose (especially convincingly) and it'll be played as "guess the committee got it right".

Reactions: just bob
U know good a well that those ranking are simply a consolation prize for FSU. Nobody with eyes thinks FSU is better than Georgia. Even if they had Travis, Georgia is still better than them. I will return to this comment when UGA blasts them in the bowl game
Nobody with eyes thinks FSU is better than anyone in the CFP. I’ll take it a step further and say that FSU would get beat by everyone in this years CFP Final Top 12 rankings.

The sooner people understand that the CFP, NCAA, ESPN, etc are going to make good business decisions which aren't necessarily fair, the easier this will be on those who don't get it.

"Fair" is a subjective term.

If the goal was to select the four best teams, it seems like most people (even FSU fans) agree they did that. But "fair" can also refer to some sort of agreement in advance to play by a certain set of rules, i.e., that if you win all your games in a P5 conference you will be in the playoff.

The problem for FSU is that the latter definition was simply their expectation. While it routinely has worked out that way, it is not by any means guaranteed or even agreed to be the goal. The committee has always said it is taking the four best teams. And with FSU's mediocre-at-best SOS plus injury to their franchise player, the committee was WELL WITHIN ITS RIGHTS to select a better team.

That after the fact FSU wants to claim some sort of entitlement based on having "done its job," or "played the games on its schedule," rings hollow because that is not, and never was, a controlling point or even necessarily a significant issue when your SOS is 55 and you claim to be one of the four best teams in the country.

Feel badly for the players and fans because they are disappointed? Sure. Feel like FSU actually has a valid complaint based on the process we have in place at the moment?

Absolutely not.

Bama Michigan will be a better game than FSU. IMO, it was not an easy decision, but from money, viewership, and competitiveness, it is the "right" choice.

Well if that's the point, I just wish the "committee" would have come out and said "hey, this is about revenue first and foremost, and about ESPN ratings, so we're going with matchups that will draw the biggest viewership, period."

I would respect that a hell of a lot more than pretending there's some kind of serious consideration of records and resumes while changing parameters on the fly as it suits the whim of the great men of the "committee".

Reactions: tnvolswmd
I agree with everything you list but, let me point out that no SEC Champion has ever been left out either.

Yeah, that 'precedent' they were happy to conveniently stick with, more so than being an undefeated Power 5 champ.

"Fair" is a subjective term.

If the goal was to select the four best teams, it seems like most people (even FSU fans) agree they did that. But "fair" can also refer to some sort of agreement in advance to play by a certain set of rules, i.e., that if you win all your games in a P5 conference you will be in the playoff.

The problem for FSU is that the latter definition was simply their expectation. While it routinely has worked out that way, it is not by any means guaranteed or even agreed to be the goal. The committee has always said it is taking the four best teams. And with FSU's mediocre-at-best SOS plus injury to their franchise player, the committee was WELL WITHIN ITS RIGHTS to select a better team.

That after the fact FSU wants to claim some sort of entitlement based on having "done its job," or "played the games on its schedule," rings hollow because that is not, and never was, a controlling point or even necessarily a significant issue when your SOS is 55 and you claim to be one of the four best teams in the country.

Feel badly for the players and fans because they are disappointed? Sure. Feel like FSU actually has a valid complaint based on the process we have in place at the moment?

Absolutely not.
The expectation is not just FSU's. A lot of fans apparently subscribe to the "proved it on the field" idea which would be great in a smaller sample.

People hated the computer picking the teams because that wasn't perfect either. A committee isn't perfect. The split champions wasn't perfect.

There's not going to be a perfect solution that's "fair" in every sense. You're an attorney. I've got family members who are attorneys and we've debated the difference between "winning the case" and "delivering justice" and how there's a lot of variables in both of those things.

Lots of people want sports to be "pure" and "just" when there's not one single human endeavor that can be seen as always "pure" and "just."

The best bet is to follow the money. The money definitely said Bama > FSU in this year's playoff.

And what's wrong with that? Top to bottom the SEC is routinely the overall best conference. Why shouldn't sone weight be placed on that ?

Why would 'routinely' matter when it should be about 2023 - was the SEC the best conference this season? From the W-L against other P5 opponents, not so much.

Listen, my issue is with the complete lack of consistency from one year to the next and even one week to the next. At the end of the day, it's essentially politics, simply picking 'winners' and losers'. there's no criteria, regardless what they say, because the criteria changes with the narrative.

Bottom line - it all comes down to revenue, like everything else. The playoff is an ESPN product, and they picked what they deemed to be the matchups that would draw the most eyeballs. I would actually have some respect for the process if they just came out and said that.

Your take and the committee’s decision, not you specifically. You’re saying that no one on that team matters other than the QB. That’s absurd.
Nobody cares about the starting punter or RG.

Whu would 'routinely' matter when it should be about 2023 - was the SEC the best conference this season? From the W-L against other P5 opponents, not so much.

Listen, my issue is with the complete lack of consistency from one year to the next and even one week to the next. At the end of the day, it's essentially politics, simply picking 'winners' and losers'. there's no criteria, regardless what they say, because the criteria changes with the narrative.

Bottom line - it all comes down to revenue, like everything else. The playoff is an ESPN product, and they picked what they deemed to be the matchups that would draw the most eyeballs. I would respect the process a hell of a lot more more if they just came out and said that.
Which conference do you think is the best?

Bold - That's how it's ALWAYS been. That's why the best sport has the worst way of determining a champion.

The expectation is not just FSU's. A lot of fans apparently subscribe to the "proved it on the field" idea which would be great in a smaller sample.

People hated the computer picking the teams because that wasn't perfect either. A committee isn't perfect. The split champions wasn't perfect.

There's not going to be a perfect solution that's "fair" in every sense. You're an attorney. I've got family members who are attorneys and we've debated the difference between "winning the case" and "delivering justice" and how there's a lot of variables in both of those things.

Lots of people want sports to be "pure" and "just" when there's not one single human endeavor that can be seen as always "pure" and "just."

The best bet is to follow the money. The money definitely said Bama > FSU in this year's playoff.

You assume that their subjective motivation was the money that presumably would be superior with Alabama in the game rather than FSU. I'm skeptical of that as their subjective motivation, but let's assume it was.

I don't think their subjective thinking is the issue. Its whether the selection of Alabama is objectively defensible and it easily is.

Why would 'routinely' matter when it should be about 2023 - was the SEC the best conference this season? From the W-L against other P5 opponents, not so much.

Bottom line - it all comes down to revenue, like everything else. The playoff is an ESPN product, and they picked what they deemed to be the matchups that would draw the most eyeballs. I would actually have some respect for the process if they just came out and said that.
CFP Administration, LLC is a company controlled by the various conferences and governed by the admins of several schools.

ALL of those conferences and schools claim college football is an amateur sport. For them to admit their decisions are revenue based would make it hard for them to claim they're running an amateur sport.

It's the elephant in the room (and the playoffs) that they won't talk about because it destroys the concept that amateur college football is about amateurs and college.

The schools are going to control the media revenue and avoid sharing it with the players to the bitter end.

VN Store

Back