Completely disgusted

I work with a guy who talks about "I grew up a Tennessee fan" and "I've worn more orange in my lifetime than anyone" and all that garbage. Apparently he's a Raiders fan so he says he hates Tennessee now for hiring Lane Kiffin. He's one of those "I don't have a favorite team, my favorite team is whoever is playing Tennessee" people.

Which flies all over me btw. I've met 3 people in my life time that take that stance and I don't understand it. Your love for football consists of just hoping one team loses.

The truth about it is, 80% of fans are like this.

When Tennessee is back on top, you will have fans come from the woodwork, that's just how it is.

Honestly I don't have a problem with it.

Frankly I don't see how it is satisfying to just go for the team that wins every time.

It's like flipping a coin and calling it after it hits the table.

Stupid analogy but that is what I compare it to.

This is true, and I do have a problem with it. I don't want them back. They get on my nerves and raise ticket prices (see UF game last year) that us non-bandwagoners have to pay, even though we went and paid for and watched Dooley teams.

Well in my opinion, you could do nothing worse to him than what he has already done to himself by simply becoming a bammer. So just leave him alone and let him wollow in this mire known simply as "BAMA FAN".

Reactions: 1 person

When Tennessee is back on top, you will have fans come from the woodwork, that's just how it is.

Frankly I don't see how it is satisfying to just go for the team that wins every time.

I do agree with your main point ... but not that 4 out of 5 Vol fans are bandwagon-riders. :shades:

I think their should be some exceptions. In 2001 I was at the UFvsTN game on the 50 in the middle of the student section. I didn't want to be the lone penguin in the middle of a sea of lions. I wore a polo with a Gator logo. I was in disguise. Clawsen and the cheese started ponding the rock and the students were literally in shock. I unknowingly started cheering under my breath. The guy in front of me turns and says "whats with you" and points at my shirt. I was busted. I simply told him I was a Vol and "When in Rome" do as the Romans do. I felt like an undercover brother. I know it was a bit dishonest but I had a blast and didn't get a soda poured over my head. It was also easier to get into the tailgate parties and meet people at Jillian's afterwards. And to top if off my Vols won.

Last edited:
Saw a guy that I went to school with some years ago and back then he was a Vol fan but when I saw him this time he had on an Alabama hat and shirt. Needless to say I really had nothing to talk to him about so I turned and went the other way. There is nothing that disgusts me more than a bandwagon fan, especially a Tennessee "fan" that would start cheering for the Tide.

You should've BUTCH slapped him on the very spot!! and pull the tide right off of him.. traitor!!!

GO VOLS..
GO BIG ORANGE .. :rock:

Saw a guy that I went to school with some years ago and back then he was a Vol fan but when I saw him this time he had on an Alabama hat and shirt. Needless to say I really had nothing to talk to him about so I turned and went the other way. There is nothing that disgusts me more than a bandwagon fan, especially a Tennessee "fan" that would start cheering for the Tide.

I know that I personally value my allegiance to a football team much higher than I do lifelong friendships.

Good job OP. You showed him.

Reactions: 2 people
I married a girl that was a Penn State fan but after a couple of bowl games I had to divorce her.

Last edited:

was his name von bell? what a little b****.

Never had orange blood running through his veins in 1st place. I live in Jax fl gator fans all around next door. I will always love my Vols. .. I grew up 30 miles north of KTown. Something about those hills. you can take the man out of the hills but you will never take the hills out of the man. I hope BJ puts that punch in the mouth style football back in the vols. that is the winning formula..hit hard they don't know more..

HaHaHaHaHa:lolabove:

To be honest, it has been difficult for me to watch the Vols for the past few years. That does not mean I don't love the Vols. Between Dooley's stupid game management, Kiffin stabbing us in the back, and Fulmer's inability to truly function as a coach without Cutcliffe, it wore on me. I also got sick of the Vol's appearances on the front page of the News-Sentinel. It made me sick to watch the program slide downhill, and bringing in guys that didn't have the good common sense to stay clear of trouble. I know a lot of that has probably gone on for years, but as technology brought about the information age, things became closer to impossible to sweep under the rug.

When Dooley got fired, I sat back and watched, hoping this new AD might get it right. Hopefully, I was right when I said Butch Jones is not a "home run hire." I called him a grand slam in the seventh game of the world series. In time, people I know will either have to put up with my, "I told you so's" or will be force feeding me a large serving of crow.

For those folks who have followed other SEC teams, I don't bash them. I feel Tennessee has not been Tennessee in a long time, considering the rich history this football program had long before most of us were born. Tennessee needs to win on and off the field in ways it has faltered over the past few years. I just hope Butch Jones gets that part too. So far, I think he does.

Last edited:
It's sad to think about how social relationships work and twist one's personality in order to "fit in". Sports, in general are a large part of our society and a catalyst to many social relationships, so to many people, there is an urge to join the bubbling pot of sports fandomonium to boost their social health. Is there a better way to be a part of every conversation than being perceived as a "fan" of the sports teams on top at a given moment? These types of people don't even care if they're involved in the social interaction for negative reasons (such as being a Tide fan in East TN). I watched a friend become a Gator fan years ago because he saw that he would be involved in more social interactions (though negative), thus fulfilling some sort of need in his soul that I will never understand.
Because the teams on top are the most talked about, there is a rush of people to claim to be a part of that team on top. The same goes for a team that is hated in a certain geographical area: to be the enemy means you matter. Unfortunately, I still see this friend engaged in conversations because of his UF apparel. Occasionally, there will be another Gator "fan" who will very loudly say, "go Gators!" Both of these individuals involved in the interaction will then bask in the negative attention received from the masses.

This does describe a lot of casual fans, ones that don't really have a solid grasp of the game. I see it even more in pro football, guys with a different jersey every year depending on who won the super bowl. Crazy.

Maybe it's a case of selective memory, but I don't remember it being this bad in the southeast 20 years ago. Commitment to your university's football team was lifelong and sacrosanct. I just don't think folks respect tradition anymore.

I know that I personally value my allegiance to a football team much higher than I do lifelong friendships.

Well as is typical with ignorant Gators not once did I mention he was a lifelong friend but if you had any reading comprehension you could have figured that out on your own. I went to school with the guy and had for a number of years, didn't say we were best friends. And I sure as hell don't need advice about friendships from you so keep it to yourself.

10 years ago you barely saw an alabama hat or liscense plate, now every other car or person is sporting alabama gear. There's alot of fake (pretenders) people out there.

All those concussions from running into the back of ambulances are clouding your judgement.

Last edited:
My family and I just spent 3 days in Gulf Shores followed by a week in Destin. I wore orange everyday no matter where we were going. I got some pretty long stares from quite a few people. There were not many Vol fans down that way as I expected, but I refuse to hide the pride I have for the Vols. Anyway Go Vols!

Frankly I don't see how it is satisfying to just go for the team that wins every time.single

While I agree with your base statement 80% is an over statement reality is less than 20% are casual or fence sitting type bandwagon jumpers.

VN Store

Back