Crime Ridden Memphis

How do you have any idea to claim that Memphis teachers are “piss poor”? No teachers are very successful with students who show up without any desire to learn, no respect for authority, and no parental support. Yes, there are occasional exceptions of students who overcome their terrible home life, but they rare. Teachers are only one part of the equation to educate young people.
Might re-read my entire post. That was one thing out of many and it was in answer to Memphis needs MORE money.

My other points seem address your points and I agree with you on them.

But let's just deal with the teachers here. True I do not know enough of the details of the problems in Memphis, but I can read test results that indicate what? Approximately 85% of Memphis students are pathetically deficient in reading and/or math. Are Memphis teachers unionized? If so, how come their union and them not standing up raising immortal hell about the raw material they have to work with? Are they teaching the kids the best ways to avoid poverty in their lives? Are they laying the truth out to the politicians and parents?

While some of the teachers may be good, how many of them sit on their butt, do enough to draw a paycheck and say nothing. I NEVER said ALL were bad. But yes, I bet a large chunk of them are not worth anything.

Regardless, as I said, until the voters of Memphis change and demand more of themselves and the people they elect, all the money in the world will not improve the situation.

Might re-read my entire post. That was one thing out of many and it was in answer to Memphis needs MORE money.

My other points seem address your points and I agree with you on them.

But let's just deal with the teachers here. True I do not know enough of the details of the problems in Memphis, but I can read test results that indicate what? Approximately 85% of Memphis students are pathetically deficient in reading and/or math. Are Memphis teachers unionized? If so, how come their union and them not standing up raising immortal hell about the raw material they have to work with? Are they teaching the kids the best ways to avoid poverty in their lives? Are they laying the truth out to the politicians and parents?

While some of the teachers may be good, how many of them sit on their butt, do enough to draw a paycheck and say nothing. I NEVER said ALL were bad. But yes, I bet a large chunk of them are not worth anything.

Regardless, as I said, until the voters of Memphis change and demand more of themselves and the people they elect, all the money in the world will not improve the situation.
It’s near impossible to make quality meals without quality ingredients. The test scores you reference are a result of several different influences and one of those are the teachers. Claiming the teachers are bad based on test scores alone is disingenuous at best. Far and away the biggest influence in test scores are the intellectual capacity of the person taking the test. If that person has never embraced learning and grown up in an environment where learning isn’t prioritized, then a teacher’s limited time with the student isn’t likely to overcome all the other factors. Unfortunately, I think your opinion is shared by many who don’t take a deeper dive into childhood development. I honestly don’t know why any young person would want to pursue a career in education these days. They are too often being made a scapegoat for the awful parenting too many children now receive.

It’s near impossible to make quality meals without quality ingredients. The test scores you reference are a result of several different influences and one of those are the teachers. Claiming the teachers are bad based on test scores alone is disingenuous at best. Far and away the biggest influence in test scores are the intellectual capacity of the person taking the test. If that person has never embraced learning and grown up in an environment where learning isn’t prioritized, then a teacher’s limited time with the student isn’t likely to overcome all the other factors. Unfortunately, I think your opinion is shared by many who don’t take a deeper dive into childhood development. I honestly don’t know why any young person would want to pursue a career in education these days. They are too often being made a scapegoat for the awful parenting too many children now receive.
"Regardless, as I said, until the voters of Memphis change and demand more of themselves and the people they elect, all the money in the world will not improve the situation"

I am not sure what you are not understanding about what I said, but stay butt-hurt as much as you want to be.

We agree a good bit, but you seem hung up on my insistence that the teachers share part of the blame. We just disagree on that point.

"Regardless, as I said, until the voters of Memphis change and demand more of themselves and the people they elect, all the money in the world will not improve the situation"

I am not sure what you are not understanding about what I said, but stay butt-hurt as much as you want to be.

We agree a good bit, but you seem hung up on my insistence that the teachers share part of the blame. We just disagree on that point.

You clearly have no idea of the issues here. The teachers are not the problem at all. I'll admit the bloated bureaucracy at Memphis/Shelby County schools is an issue but you could pull the best teachers from Williamson County and they would not do any better in the ghetto. I do not think any more money would fix education because of other structural issues (safety, lack of infrastructure, etc.)

Once again, the city has to take money from it's already stretched budget because of state neglect. The state doesn't patrol their roadways, the local have to pick up the stack. The state doesn't fix roads or potholes on their roads, the local have to pick up the stack. The state treats businesses completely different in this area. The State offer incentives for businesses to leave Memphis to move to other parts of the State or offer greater incentives to move to "red" areas. Again, the local have to pick up the slack. Instead of being able to hiring more cops, the local have to fix the state's roads, patrol the state’s roads, and compete against the state. And education is not fixed until public safety is....

I'll go back to the March 2023 storms. The county that had the second most property damage: Shelby. The county with the second most deaths: Shelby. Of the 15 counties with damage, you want to guess which one the state decided not to declare a disaster area.....

You can elect the best or the worst but when you have a generation of neglect because of voting blue, it ultimately does
not matter..

You clearly have no idea of the issues here. The teachers are not the problem at all. I'll admit the bloated bureaucracy at Memphis/Shelby County schools is an issue but you could pull the best teachers from Williamson County and they would not do any better in the ghetto. I do not think any more money would fix education because of other structural issues (safety, lack of infrastructure, etc.)

Once again, the city has to take money from it's already stretched budget because of state neglect. The state doesn't patrol their roadways, the local have to pick up the stack. The state doesn't fix roads or potholes on their roads, the local have to pick up the stack. The state treats businesses completely different in this area. The State offer incentives for businesses to leave Memphis to move to other parts of the State or offer greater incentives to move to "red" areas. Again, the local have to pick up the slack. Instead of being able to hiring more cops, the local have to fix the state's roads, patrol the state’s roads, and compete against the state. And education is not fixed until public safety is....

I'll go back to the March 2023 storms. The county that had the second most property damage: Shelby. The county with the second most deaths: Shelby. Of the 15 counties with damage, you want to guess which one the state decided not to declare a disaster area.....

You can elect the best or the worst but when you have a generation of neglect because of voting blue, it ultimately does
not matter..
They’ve insisted on taking the same failed treatment for 50+ years, and wonder why they’re still sick…

Here are the issues that's impacting the city

1. Public Safety

Huge gap

2. Lack of building up distribution infrastructure (i.e. jobs)
3. State and local infrastructure neglect
4. Adversarial and unfair relationship with State govt
5. Bloated inefficient local govt
6. Wasteful spending on pet projects
7. Education

If you make the city safer, with more jobs, and more livable, you will see education gains.

You need 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 to help with #1

It's a vicious circle with many culpable parties

Memphis is centrally located in the center of the World's most prosperous nation with limited winter and tropical weather than can disrupt global supply chains. It has river access and FedEx. It should be the distribution capital of the World.

The State and City should be working together to ensure that. Instead of that, you have the state neglecting bridges to the point of disrepair, you have 30-40 year delays on interstate construction, major distribution routes that are untravable due to disrepair, and a state/local failure to provide safe access on state/local roads.

If you can create jobs and improve public safety, everything else begins to fix itself...

Reactions: jp1 and hog88

not matter..
With all due respect, I lived in Memphis for over two years until I got tired of the crime and left. Was partners with Memphis business men and did a ton of business with Memphis firms. One of my best friends still lives in the metro area. Got a number of friends still in west Tennessee and none of them I know of think Memphis is much better than a cesspool.

Got a pretty good clue about the issues in Memphis.

And the two of you who keep telling me I am wrong are (A) not reading my posts in full and (B) getting triggered because part of my criticism is targeted at teachers.

Reactions: UT_Dutchman
Memphis is centrally located in the center of the World's most prosperous nation with limited winter and tropical weather than can disrupt global supply chains. It has river access and FedEx. It should be the distribution capital of the World.

The State and City should be working together to ensure that. Instead of that, you have the state neglecting bridges to the point of disrepair, you have 30-40 year delays on interstate construction, major distribution routes that are untravable due to disrepair, and a state/local failure to provide safe access on state/local roads.

If you can create jobs and improve public safety, everything else begins to fix itself...
I will repeat it again. Until Memphis voters decide they want better, nothing is going to change. They elect clowns. And the clowns go to Nashville and get ignored because they act like, you guessed it, clowns.

When clowns are running the organization, why is anyone surprised the end result is a rundown circus?

With all due respect, I lived in Memphis for over two years until I got tired of the crime and left. Was partners with Memphis business men and did a ton of business with Memphis firms. One of my best friends still lives in the metro area. Got a number of friends still in west Tennessee and none of them I know of think Memphis is much better than a cesspool.

Got a pretty good clue about the issues in Memphis.

And the two of you who keep telling me I am wrong are (A) not reading my posts in full and (B) getting triggered because part of my criticism is targeted at teachers.

There are countless examples of teachers locally who had 20 and 30 percent of students proficient at MCS that went to a suburban district and had 70 percent or more proficient.

Hint, they did not get better at teaching in 1 year...

I will repeat it again. Until Memphis voters decide they want better, nothing is going to change. They elect clowns. And the clowns go to Nashville and get ignored because they act like, you guessed it, clowns.

When clowns are running the organization, why is anyone surprised the end result is a rundown circus?

You are saying they should vote for Rs...no matter how wacky they may be...

Bet you most of those clowns really running things, whether in foreground or background, are Republicans. As is OFTEN true when poor oversight allows them to stuff public funds into their own pockets while living in safe zones, or even in other districts outside the communities they were elected or hired to serve.

You could get the 20 most competent people no matter their political affiliation in Shelby County, we can call ourselves Democrats, and we could go to Nashville.

And guess what? Nothing will get fixed since we have a D instead of a R.

The other side has elected some absolute clowns but it doesnt matter since they have all the power in Nashville

You are implying that. Rs will not help Ds in Nashville. Period.

Rs have the power and they will share it only with other Rs.

You arent stupid...
No you inferred that.

Now if they quit electing clowns and still get treated the same way, I am with you. But they have and continue to elect idiots.

However, it probably would not hurt to see where the political winds are blowing and figure out how to sail in them.

Here are the issues that's impacting the city

1. Public Safety

Huge gap

2. Lack of building up distribution infrastructure (i.e. jobs)
3. State and local infrastructure neglect
4. Adversarial and unfair relationship with State govt
5. Bloated inefficient local govt
6. Wasteful spending on pet projects
7. Education

If you make the city safer, with more jobs, and more livable, you will see education gains.

You need 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 to help with #1

It's a vicious circle with many culpable parties
I agree with this. I've lived in Shelby County (Memphis) my entire life and I used to play basketball down in the rough areas. It was really sad to drive through and see the suffering of people and it made me appreciate what I have. It also made me think about why people in charge aren't doing anything to help these people. My conclusion is that (most of) the elected officials truly only care about keeping their money and power and it's sad to see.
I think that if we can fix the poverty issue here we can really improve crime rates. Desperate people do desperate things. Find a way to bring back jobs. Build better roads. Working people are too busy to worry about crime most of the time. Memphis has so much potential. The leaders just need to stop ripping off it's people and serve the city like they promised!

I agree with this. I've lived in Shelby County (Memphis) my entire life and I used to play basketball down in the rough areas. It was really sad to drive through and see the suffering of people and it made me appreciate what I have. It also made me think about why people in charge aren't doing anything to help these people. My conclusion is that (most of) the elected officials truly only care about keeping their money and power and it's sad to see.
I think that if we can fix the poverty issue here we can really improve crime rates. Desperate people do desperate things. Find a way to bring back jobs. Build better roads. Working people are too busy to worry about crime most of the time. Memphis has so much potential. The leaders just need to stop ripping off it's people and serve the city like they promised!
until you address the thousands of kids born to teen mothers that end up being in a single parent homes with no father (or raised by aging grandparents), nothing will change. It's a cycle of poverty that's never addressed. They end up joining gangs because mom is working and there are literally no parents around to guide them.

When the teen mother didn't finish high school and already has 3 kids with no father around, while trying to survive on a minimum wage job at Taco Bell (or insert any other job), that's the root of the issue. I'm not saying all single parent homes are like this, but in this city a majority are.

In 2014 80% of kids in Memphis had no fathers. That's staggering. Building community centers and talking about gun laws is not going to fix the crime. I have yet to see a single Memphis city politician bring this issue up. and I'm not saying all single parent homes end up with kids that are criminals, but the statistics are not in your favor.

VN Store

Back