Culinary, Arts, Thread.

Mostly, I use fresh garlic. Always have it on hand. I have roasted garlic and stored what was not used in olive oil. I've not grown it.

There is garlic powder in my spice cabinet. My wife prefers to use it. She says that she better controls the flavors using the powder. She's never complained about the garlic in any of my dishes.

My missus has been on a coffee ice cream kick the past few years. Her current favorite is coffee almond fudge swirl.

My current favorite is the homemade pistachio using our friend Moni's recipe.

Any ideas for something reasonably simple (not having to time things to all come out at the same time while cooking at different temps etc lol) for a last-night-at-the-beach meal? We'll be at Tybee Island. I know that last year the only fresh shellfish available at this time of the year was shrimp - no scallops
cray.gif
, although could be different this year, of course.

The fun part is that we don't know what will be available in terms of cooking vessels etc and whether there is access to an outdoor grill, whether charcoal or gas. I'll bring my knives and cutting board and probably one good skillet and stock pot.

We got too ambitious last year with three different kinds of shrimp under the broiler plus chicken satay outside on the tiny Weber, and we'd like to dial that back this time.

My brain is pooped out from travel, so any thoughts and memory joggers would be wonderful.

Reactions: Orangeredblooded
Any ideas for something reasonably simple (not having to time things to all come out at the same time while cooking at different temps etc lol) for a last-night-at-the-beach meal? We'll be at Tybee Island. I know that last year the only fresh shellfish available at this time of the year was shrimp - no scallops
cray.gif

The fun part is that we don't know what will be available in terms of cooking vessels etc and whether there is access to an outdoor grill, whether charcoal or gas. I'll bring my knives and cutting board and probably one good skillet and stock pot.

We got too ambitious last year with three different kinds of shrimp under the broiler plus chicken satay outside on the tiny Weber, and we'd like to dial that back this time.

My brain is pooped out from travel, so any thoughts and memory joggers would be wonderful.

You could do a creole only using one pot.

Reactions: Souce
You could do a creole only using one pot.
You mean like a big old pot of jambalaya? That's a thought...

Oh wait, I see that there actually is such a thing as "shrimp creole" (and others) with one pot; not necessarily the rice. Nice; thank you! back to google

Still want scallops dammit, but I guess I'll have to buy them frozen in Savannah or something. I miss the option of buying seafood off the boat.

You mean like a big old pot of jambalaya? That's a thought...

Oh wait, I see that there actually is such a thing as "shrimp creole" (and others) with one pot; not necessarily the rice. Nice; thank you! back to google

Still want scallops dammit, but I guess I'll have to buy them frozen in Savannah or something. I miss the option of buying seafood off the boat.

Yes, shrimp creole is what I meant. You could throw some fresh locally caught fish in there as well.

Reactions: Souce and VolNExile
Dave's Low Country Boil Recipe

Not specifically these ingredients (or amounts!), but maybe the general idea.

I love (not) recipes that don't tell you how many servings result. My best guess is that 8 ears of corn yield 8-16 servings. But then there are also 9 lbs of seafood, 3 lbs of sausage, 5 lbs of taters... lol

cray.gif

d3eeb0f947b1107c29053acc7f0006d0.jpg

We got a pig in the ground and some beer on ice and all my rowdy friends are coming over tonight!!!!

@Behr

cocktail sauce or remoulade as one of the dipping options with a seafood boil? (along with butter/lemon and some sort of red hot sauce thing)

if remoulade, is there a good ready-made version (trying to keep it simple stupid)

@Behr

cocktail sauce or remoulade as one of the dipping options with a seafood boil? (along with butter/lemon and some sort of red hot sauce thing)

if remoulade, is there a good ready-made version (trying to keep it simple stupid)

Louisiana Fish Fry Remoulade and McCormick Cocktail Sauce for Seafood Extra Hot (says made with real horseradish on the front) are both legitimate store bought products IMO.

VN Store

Back