Da Reds thread

Same here. Rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic year after year. Just my take below...

Train in the climate you play in so the bodies stays adapted and you have less injuries. If you want to adapt to summer heat in Cincy you spring train in FL. Even the cooler windy days with humidity in the winter in FL come closer to cool windy days in spring in Cincy. Low humidity and heat of the cactus leagues do not provide the same environment as half of the season in Cincy plus much of the rest of the MidWest and Northeast during the season.

All of the guys you sign should be able to take advantage of the ball park you play in. Our own Vols proved that over years. GABP is a hitters park. Staff your roster and coaches around it like the Vols did at LNS. Staff your pitching with ground ball inducing types. Bulk up on strong hitters who play adequate D. Your two strong D guys should be SS and CF - they can be singles hitters. The rest need to be able to drive the ball. The objective is to outscore from hitting while holding the opponents adequately. If a guy cannot hit or is projected not to hit better than .250 BA with some power - stay away. That includes bench players. But if you get guys who can do that well and are durable - sign them long term.

They drafted nothing like that in recent years. So they will have to trade to get it. Not holding my breath.

I mean I guess I can get the logic of drafting pitchers because trying to attract a good vet option would cost a lot. Still with how bad our outfield is offensively I can't understand not taking Condon this year instead of Burns.

Reactions: Vols4us
I mean I guess I can get the logic of drafting pitchers because trying to attract a good vet option would cost a lot. Still with how bad our outfield is offensively I can't understand not taking Condon this year instead of Burns.
They need OF and 1B. So Condon and Cags were sitting there. Even C-Mo can play OF, he did as a freshman at UT. All three can smoke the ball with a good BA. Plus they drafted Lowder first round last season for an SP.

Don't get it at all.

Pitching bad, hitting worse. Butts handed to them. Moving on, thankfully.

FO needs to deal with the inconsistencies in the off season. This has been going on far too long. Cannot have projected top players having season ending/destroying injuries or acting totally lost on the field from one year to the next. That is what we see season after season. Something is really off with this org.

Votto just announced this retirement and can't help but hate the ump for ejecting him in his final big league game.

This team is two good hitters away from being a consistent playoff contender. Add another one with another good starter or two, like Lowder, and they could compete for a WS. Marte needs to go back down for some retooling. Time for Benson to go in the offseason.

And right on cue Lowder pitches another gem. This team is maddening.

There's always next year...

Find more position players who are not made of glass who can hit. The pitching is clearly coming together.

Pitching once again with Martinez and a close out by the pen. Don't see many 1-0 with this club. But having 8 hits and only getting one run on O is telling as well.

VN Store

Back