Daily Baseball 2013

Brandon Phillip - 40RBIs
Joey Votto - 20RBIs

Love Joey. He ain't the MVP over Brandon. No way, no how.

Do you see any sort of connection here that might shed some light on Phillips' high RBI total?

This has to be a joke. Ha ha guys lol where's the camera ya got me good one where's Ashton

Do you see any sort of connection here that might shed some light on Phillips' high RBI total?

This has to be a joke. Ha ha guys lol where's the camera ya got me good one where's Ashton

Oh you mean like Choo getting on base in front of Joey and Joey not driving him in?

Choo's OBP is .455.

Brandon has double the amount of RBIs.

Unbelievable. I feel like I'm having to diss my own guy. Joey walks alot sure. No argument. Nobody has ever won the MVP because they walked a lot but drove in only 70-75 runs.

"Joey walks a lot sure" yet his slugging is 80 points higher than Phillips.

I'm still holding out hope that you're just totally kidding.

"Joey walks a lot sure" yet his slugging is 80 points higher than Phillips.

I'm still holding out hope that you're just totally kidding.

I don't care about his slugging or on-base %. That's 2 stats of a whole line that would be considered when voting for the MVP.

I'm done with this.

I'm right.

You're wrong.

End of story.

You don't care about a person getting on base or being able to hit the ball really, really well?

Brandon Phillip - 40RBIs
Joey Votto - 20RBIs

Love Joey. He ain't the MVP over Brandon. No way, no how.

Joey Votto

Runs created adjusted- 176

WAR- 2.3

OPS- 1.003

Brandon Phillips

Runs created- 109

WAR- 1.3

OPS- .781

Under no circumstances is Brandon Phillips more valuable than Joey Votto.

Joey Votto

Runs created adjusted- 176

WAR- 2.3

OPS- 1.003

Brandon Phillips

Runs created- 109

WAR- 1.3

OPS- .781

Under no circumstances is Brandon Phillips more valuable than Joey Votto.

Thus far this season he is. You guys are dummies. I watch every single Reds game in its entirety. You do not.

And using WAR to compare a 2nd baseman and a 1st baseman is absolutely absurd.

What are their averages with RISP? What percentage do each have of driving in a runner on 3rd with less than 2 outs?

I'm curious in those figures because I do not know them.

Thus far this season he is. You guys are dummies. I watch every single Reds game in its entirety. You do not.

And using WAR to compare a 2nd baseman and a 1st baseman is absolutely absurd.

So, despite the fact that Votto creates run at a way higher rate than Phillips, gets on base way more than Phillips, slugs way better than Phillips, play defense just as well or right at Phillips levels means absolutely nothing because Brandon Phillips has more RBI's????

Phillips is ~ .430 with RISP iirc. Could be partially approach and coming up big... could be some luck.

Votto is better. Has been better this year, too. It isn't that close. Phillips defense is a nice addition, though.

So, despite the fact that Votto creates run at a way higher rate than Phillips, gets on base way more than Phillips, slugs way better than Phillips, play defense just as well or right at Phillips levels means absolutely nothing because Brandon Phillips has more RBI's????

Runs created is a joke. It relies solely on guys behind you driving you in.

Phillips is ~ .430 with RISP iirc. Could be partially approach and coming up big... could be some luck.

Votto is better. Has been better this year, too. It isn't that close. Phillips defense is a nice addition, though.

OMG using stats to make an argument and then you say it could be luck. Get the eff out if here.

What are their averages with RISP? What percentage do each have of driving in a runner on 3rd with less than 2 outs?

I'm curious in those figures because I do not know them.

Interesting point:

Votto has a .357 average this year, but with RISP he has a .368 average.

Phillips has a .279 average this year, but with RISP he has a .435 average.

There is no way in Hades that Phillips is going to have a .279 average with a .435 average. Votto is maintaining his current pace.

Also, with no one on, Votto has a .462 OBP while Phillips has a .247 OBP. So, even though you argue that Phillips drives in more runs, making him more valuable, I'd say Votto is more valuable strictly because he makes something happen 50% when nobody is on, while Phillips is at 25%. That means Votto creates something offensively with no one double the amount of times Phillips does. That's pretty freaking important.

Interesting point:

Votto has a .357 average this year, but with RISP he has a .368 average.

Phillips has a .279 average this year, but with RISP he has a .435 average.

There is no way in Hades that Phillips is going to have a .279 average with a .435 average. Votto is maintaining his current pace.

Also, with no one on, Votto has a .462 OBP while Phillips has a .247 OBP. So, even though you argue that Phillips drives in more runs, making him more valuable, I'd say Votto is more valuable strictly because he makes something happen 50% when nobody is on, while Phillips is at 25%. That means Votto creates something offensively with no one double the amount of times Phillips does. That's pretty freaking important.

Nobody is claiming BP is a better "hitter" than Votto so your OBP with nobody on base is worthless.

However your RISP average proves my point quite nicely. Appreciate that.

The whole time we have been talking I have approached it like the season was ending today. Therefore I don't care that you don't think Brandon will keep his RISP that high.

Last edited:
Is a guy batting 7th hitting .330 going to create as many runs as a guy batting 3rd and hitting .330?

Probably not, but it depends on who is in front of him. Phillips is hitting behind nearly the two best OBP guys in the league, so far. And also a sucky OBP guy, but still.

VN Store

Back